AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the plunge and bought a Sony Grand Wega over the weekend, decided not to wait for the DLP2 RPTVs.

One stuck pixel (blue), which I guess I can live with. Bigger annoyance is geometry, in Normal mode (4:3) the picture is noticeably trapezoidal (sides of the trapezoid a bit curved, but you get the idea. And in fact this distortion is there in all modes, and is clear when you pop up some of the Avia grids.

Question -- can this distortion be adjusted out, or do I just have to live with it?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This is something you may want to be very careful with. I wouldn't try and fix yourself. If your set is still under warranty, I would ask them about this and see what they say. If not, find a professional calibrator who has worked on your particular model and have him calibrate it. It won't be cheap though. Fixing geometry is a long and tedious process. With all the money you shelled out, you shouldn't have to live with that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally had a Sony technician come over Saturday, there is indeed a service menu but he couldn't figure out how to make the adjustments. They are going to come back again this week after they get some help (new model, they're not faimiliar with the service menu codes).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They want to bring a new one over, but I'm not sure that is going to cure the geometry problem. I fiddled with a Grand Wega in a store a few days ago and it looked like it had the same geometry problem. In normal mode the image is about 1/2 inch wider on the bottom than it is on the top (i.e., trapezoid shape). Anyone out there have a Grand Wega that displays a grid or rectangles with less/no top to bottom distortion?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I notice no geometrical problems with the image on my GW.. the only issue I have with 4:3 material is that my mind plays tricks on me, so it appears as if the sides are caving in at times.

I've measured the image, and no such thing is happening.. it's just all in my head. I'm pretty used to the set by now, so I rarely see this anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.