Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see this posted yet. Found it at http://64.35.93.160/pressrelease/1302 :

SONY UNVEILS THE LATEST IN PICTURE PURITY WITH THE NEW GRAND WEGA® LCD TELEVISION

60-Inch LCD Rear-Projection Television Combines Cutting-Edge Performance and Stylish Design

Indianapolis (CEDIA Booth #616), Sept. 6, 2001 - Displaying Sony's vision for television technology, the company today revealed the Grand WEGA® television, a 60-inch, 16:9 LCD-based rear projection set.

Utilizing a proprietary Optical Engine that incorporates three wide XGA LCD panels and a unique lens system, the new KF-60DX100 television displays crisp, brilliant images that sets it apart in the marketplace. Created for consumers seeking to maximize their home theater viewing experience, the Grand WEGA TV television takes the company's popular WEGA series television to the next level with its striking design and stunning picture performance.

"The Grand WEGA highlights the expansion to larger, widescreen TV sets, and emphasizes the technological innovation synonymous with our popular WEGA line," said Tim Alessi, director of television marketing for Sony Electronics. "The marriage of its slim, elegant cabinet design with the latest technology Sony has to offer, sets the Grand Wega apart from anything else available. We believe this unique model is the best set available now for displaying digital content."

New Optical Engine for Superb Picture Quality

The company's first LCD-based Grand WEGA television features several innovative technologies. This 60-inch widescreen set, designed exclusively for the U.S. market, uses a proprietary Optical Engine that incorporates LCD panels and a unique lens system to ensure picture brilliance and clarity.

The Optical Engine utilizes Sony's three wide XGA high-resolution LCD panels, one for each of the RGB signals. This breakthrough technology results in a total of 3.15 million dots resolution for a crisp and consistent picture across the screen and from corner to corner. Unlike some other projection televisions, the use of these LCD panels eliminates phosphor burning and CRT misconvergence. Also, with the proprietary dot line inversion drive technology, the set delivers images free of blurring, shading and ghosting.

The Optical Engine also employs a special lens system that gives this rear-projection set its lightweight, ultra-slim cabinet design. The lens system bends the light path, creating an ultra-short focal point while maintaining high levels of brightness. This proprietary lens system delivers vivid images from the center of the screen all the way to the edges.

In addition to the Optical Engine, the new Grand WEGA model incorporates a Tri-Component Screen-- Fresnel screen, Lenticular screen, and the High-Contrast Double Anti-Reflective screen-- further improving picture resolution, brightness and contrast.

The Fresnel screen controls the path by which light is projected from the lens, while the

Lenticular screen expands the viewing angle. The Anti-Reflective screen produces sharp images by reducing the reflection rate down to 1.5 percent (an 80 percent improvement over conventional projection TV screens). The High-Contrast screen has a pitch of just 0.155 millimeter-- only one-quarter of conventional screens-- which enables faithful reproduction of high-definition digital broadcasts.

Additional Picture Enhancements

The Grand WEGA projection television has a native resolution of over 720p and accepts full 1080i high-definition signals when paired with a digital set-top box via HD component connections, as well as progressive-scan DVD (480p and 720p) signals. The set automatically converts all content to a high resolution progressive output for a picture that is more realistic and consistent than anything previously experienced.

The new set features Sony's Digital Reality Creationâ„¢ circuitry (DRC) and CineMotionâ„¢ reverse 3:2 pull-down process. The CineMotion process minimizes motion artifacts caused when 24-frame-per-second film is transferred to 30-frame-per-second video. Combined with DRC, the result is a superb picture with improved sharpness and enhanced image dimensionality.

It also includes the Multi-Image Driverâ„¢ X (MID-X) chip, allowing viewers to simultaneously watch analog NTSC television broadcasts and high-definition programming side-by-side with the Flexible Twin-Viewâ„¢ two-tuner picture-and-picture feature. New to the MID-X feature is the Scroll Index function, which allows viewers to rotate through channels while watching their favorite programming.

The Grand WEGA set includes nine different inputs to maximize the viewing experience. In addition to three S-video inputs, it offers two component video inputs for connection to such HD sources as digital satellite, cable or HD receiver set-top boxes.

The Grand WEGA TV also incorporates TruSurroundâ„¢ and Virtual Dolbyâ„¢ surround sound and a Multi-Amp System to independently drive the three-way, six-speaker system. Positioned at either side of the screen, this speaker system provides powerful, dynamic sound reproduction, adding to the cinematic viewing experience.

Scheduled to be available in January 2002, the KF-60DX100 model will sell for about $8,000. An optional matching stand with room for up to six components will also be available.

Editor's Note: Digital images are available at http://www.sony.com/news. For information regarding the nearest Sony authorized dealer or service location, your readers can call 1-800-222-SONY.

http://64.35.93.160/pressrelease/1302 http://64.35.93.160/pressrelease/1302 http://64.35.93.160/pressrelease/1302

[This message has been edited by holtwm (edited 09-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by holtwm (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
this TV sounds great on paper, I hope it lives up to its promises.

------------------

Juan

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
8K, but no IEEE connection, I thought Sony was pushing the 5C digital capability.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Saw it, liked it, a lot. It was the best solid state display on the floor, IMHO.

$8k is the list price & there is no iLink (IEEE1394), at this time, just good old analog input.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ken, what about the RCA L50000?

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross:
Sounds like it still doesn't do true 1080i HD.
Right you are, the 3.15 million pixels is divisible by 3 to get just over a million for accurate comparisons, which is about 1/2 of a full 1080i image. But as we all (well, many of us) know, the existing HD recording/production/distribution systems don't deliver 2 million pixels, anyway.

But whatever the measured resolution, it looked very good. Very good.

------------------

tm

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
8K, but no IEEE connection, I thought Sony was pushing the 5C digital capability.

Yeah, I think that's very interesting. They have three models shipping this fall with those connections--one direct-view that already in stores and two 7" CRT-based RPTVs. But they've got at least 3 other HD models coming out w/o those connections. Very inconsistent.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did anyone who was at CEDIA take a look at the RCA LCOS L5000? If so, how did the Grand Wega?

Don.

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Saw both the RCA & Samsung LCOS, both need work before they can compete with the Sony. Black level, brightness, contrast, color saturation were the differences.

It appears the sole LCOS advantage, for now, is price.

------------------

tm

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Sounds like the Sony Grand WEGA is getting good reports. Does anyone know if Sony plans to release a 50-55" version of the set in the future???

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The 60" Sony Grand Wega is a Sony 11HT LCD FPTV put into a RPTV much as the Sony KL-W9000 was a 400Q FPTV put into a RPTV. Interestingly, the price of both the 11HT and the Grand Wega is the same $8000.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So how is 5C and DVI supposed to work if there are no STBs or TVs that can pass/recieve the signal?

Are we supposed to just wait another 3-4 years before there is more movie content?

--JD

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JonDax:
So how is 5C and DVI supposed to work if there are no STBs or TVs that can pass/recieve the signal?

Are we supposed to just wait another 3-4 years before there is more movie content?

--JD
Well, this is off-topic, but it is a good question. It's very inconsistent of Sony, an owner of several movie studio labels and a supporter of 5C, to come to market this season with three new 5C compliant sets and three or four non-compliant products, including the flagship Grand Wega. Their new set-top cable boxes are 5C compliant to the extent that they are capable of talking with other devices in a 1394/DTCP network and passing an encrypted HD video data stream onward, though not capable of decoding the MPEG-2 (Sony seems to be of the put-the-decoder-in-the-display school).

In short, they seem to have one foot in the boat and one on the dock.

Mitsubishi's Fall/Winter line either comes with integrated ATSC tuners and 1394/DTCP connectors or is upgradeable to the separate module that they are "promising" at the end of 2002. The only HD D-VHS recorders that have been announced (recently, at least--the Panasonic is probably no longer available) are Mitsubishi's and JVC's and both are DTCP compliant, with 1394 connectors. To use Mitsubishi's recorder, you'll need a set with 1394/DTCP connectors, since it has no other HD connection and no MPEG decoder. Echostar and DIRECTV have stated that they're developing STBs with copy-protected connectors, making it seem likely that they'll start down-res'ing the premium movie channels and PPV on the old STBs sometime after those have started shipping.

Only Sony, Mitsubishi and JVC have fielded any copy-protected equipment at all--the rest of the CE manufacturers seem to be ignoring the issue, even some who were part of 5C. Silicon Image, one of the co-developers, with Intel, of DVI/HDCP and the manufacturer of the chips, claims that RCA will be incorporating their product in future sets, though there's no word of this from RCA.

Who knows what's going to happen at this point? If they turn on copy-protection, to me it seems unlikely that they could afford to do it before sometime in 2003, but I could be wrong.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ken H:

Did you happen to see the new 40†XBR700 Wega Direct View at the Sony booth at CEDIA?

What’d you think? Did you see it with 4:3 material so it filled up the entire 40 inches. Did the picture compare well with the 34†XBR2?

Thx for any comments.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Grand Wega seems to be a great TV, but the letters "LCD" still make me want to see it before I can believe the colors are so good. Also, at $8000 bucks it had better have all of the bells and whistles, including (i) direct access to all inputs - every low budget RCA has this - so no more cycling through 6 inputs; (ii) a VGA or RGBHV input for HDTV set top box connection; (iii) Antenna A/B loopthru, and (iv) a traditional free layout PIP insert, in addition to the split screen capabilities of its Multi-image driver.

------------------

TJ

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
This is the big brother to my Sony KL-W9000. I only hope that by the time I'm ready to move my KL-W9000 to another room, there will a few of these being closed out for close to $2k.

I love this technology. I'm 26 months into my first bulb on a set that runs from 9 a.m. to after midnight daily. The DMID, at least on my Sony, is what makes the set look so great with DVD above its have 480 pixel vertical resolution. This new model has native 768 pixel resolution, which should make it even better for HDTV applications.

There are two major advantages to this type of display. A simple easy renewable light source in the form of a 100 watt metal hylide lamp and a weight of only 106 pounds. I haven't seen detailed specs, but if it's anywhere near my unit it's a great display. Also, Sony's up/down conversion circuitry is first rate so I wouldn't worry a lot about whether the panels are native 1080i.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What is the "Native rate" for this new Sony? We have read horrible things about the Sony Digital Reality Creation in the part. MAting what sounds like a nice display with a better video processor would make this very interesting. Does anyone who saw this at the show know?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Dennis: I am curious about your Sony KL-W9000 and your experience with 'bulb' TVs. What are some of the features of your Sony (size, aspect ratio, inputs, picture quality on NTSC cable, etc). Also, is the technology similar to the other 'bulb' TVs that are hitting the market (RCA LCOS and JVC D'Ahlia).

Does your Sony have any operational quirks, e.g a hot bulb that needs a noisy cooling fan, or it cannot be switched on/off rapidly as the bulb needs to warm up/cool down? Please forgive any of my questions that may seem unwarranted.

------------------

TJ

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.