AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am interested in purchasing a 60in GW but would like to know a few things. Are there really any of these GWs made that do not have a single dead pixel? I've seen three display models and all of them had a minimum of 4-5 pixels out. Also, over time, can I expect to see more pixels go out? Please let me know, this is an important issue. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Quote:
Are there really any of these GWs made that do not have a single dead pixel?
Very probably.

Quote:
Also, over time, can I expect to see more pixels go out?
Certainly. The question is how long. Is it 1, 10, 100 or 1000 years? I don't know how we can know what the average set will do much less a particular one with the data we have.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by umr

Certainly. The question is how long. Is it 1, 10, 100 or 1000 years? I don't know how we can know what the average set will do much less a particular one with the data we have.
While that is not untrue, if the LCD panels in the GW behave like other LCD panels (as used in laptops and such) then dead pixels are probably not going to change in numbers from the time the TV is first switched on. With maybe a few more appearing in the first few hours of operation.

It is my understanding that the vast majority of dead pixels on LCD panels are caused by manufacturing defects in the transistor that switches the pixel on/off. This transistor is either dead from the start or maybe at the edge and fail early on during operation. Alternatively, if it works it's likely going to work flawlessly for a long time to come. Don't know if GWII's are burned-in as part of the manufacturing process, though they probably are switched on for some amount of time to adjust things. If so, then probably the dead pixels you have on arrival are going to be the ones it'll have the rest of its life.

-Rob-

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a cluster of stuck pixels which appeared about 2 months after I got my GWII. I was going to call Sony but I got lazy and two weeks later I was unable to find the cluster of stuck pixels. Its been about a month since I've seen the green spot. Not sure how this happened but it was definitely noticeable when I switched inputs or had a mostly black screen. Could these pixels just have been stuck on green instead of totally dead? Anyway, I now don't have one single green (stuck) pixel and I will be very happy with my GWII if I never see another one... ever... I say get the GWII and hope for the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.