Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'll be buying the 50" in April, but have some questions:

Some background: I have an MX-700 remote, and will be getting a Denon 3803 reciever. The reciever will switch high def component video, and will also take an S-Vid signal and convert it to component. That means that I can have my TiVo and Playstation feed their svideo into the Denon, and have a progressive scan DVD player feed its component signal into the reciever, and the reciever can output these signals over one set of component inputs. I will also be getting a HD Direct TiVo when they come out, so the DVI input will go directly to the TV.

From what I understand, there are four picture settings: Vivid, Pro, Standard, and Mild. These settings can be tweaked and saved. My questions: are these settings assigned to a certain input? Are there discrete codes for these settings? What I would like to do is calibrate Pro to the HDTV signal, Vivid for a DVD signal, and Mild for an NTSC signal from my old DTiVo. Since the signal for the DVD and the DTiVo will be going through the same cables, I would like my MX-700 to send a discrete code signal to the TV to put in on the proper input and the proper picture setting.

Can this be done?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
I think I'll be buying the 50" in April, but have some questions:

Some background: I have an MX-700 remote, and will be getting a Denon 3803 reciever. The reciever will switch high def component video, and will also take an S-Vid signal and convert it to component. That means that I can have my TiVo and Playstation feed their svideo into the Denon, and have a progressive scan DVD player feed its component signal into the reciever, and the reciever can output these signals over one set of component inputs. I will also be getting a HD Direct TiVo when they come out, so the DVI input will go directly to the TV.

-

Not directly to your question, because I don't have my GWIII yet (T-minus 10 days and counting...), but on the topic of the receiver:

I was all set to buy the same Denon receiver until I saw the Yamaha RXV-1400, which features the same "Component Video Upconverting" feature (VERY cool), and also adds a microphone and equalizer that automatically sets the level AND frequency response of the individual speakers in your HT surround sound setup. The fact that it's also about 1/2 the price of the Denon didn't hurt either ;)

Might want to take a look...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many video inputs? I will have two TiVos, Playstaion, DVD, VCR, and an XBox and PC someday.

·
Registered
49 Posts
>>My questions: are these settings assigned to a certain input?

Yes. For example, I renamed one component input to "DVD" and assigned the Pro mode + picture mode (zoom, whatever) option + user menu tweaks I found elsewhere on this forum. Similarly, I customized the settings for my HD, Satellite, and Game inputs.

BTW, I don't recommend Vivid for DVDs; they look oversharp and washed out. Vivid is great for games, where there is little 'reality' to match the picture to.

>>Are there discrete codes for these settings?

I just got my wonderful, non- buzzing GWIII 42 inch a couple weeks ago, so I don't know this one. But I'm sure the massive Hive Mind of the AVS Forum will weigh in.

PS FYI, Mild is a setting within the other modes; so there are only three (Vivid, Pro and Standard).

PPS One of the Wonders of the Internet is the ability to download user manuals from the manufacturers' sites; I recommend going to Sony.com, getting the .pdf for the GWIII you want, and study it closely. This saved me a lot of hassles when the set arrived.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I wouldn't use the Vivid setting from the factory: I would have it calibrated to the DVD player. It would just be called Vivid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
How many video inputs? I will have two TiVos, Playstaion, DVD, VCR, and an XBox and PC someday.
It's really tough to tell from the "draft-quality-printed" copy of the New Product Bulletin that I have....for some reason, the model doesn't even show on Yamaha's website....

Anyway, it looks like there are:

7 Composite Video

7 S-Video

2 Component Video

Dunno if that's enough for you, but it is for me!

:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zcd2.7t
It's really tough to tell from the "draft-quality-printed" copy of the New Product Bulletin that I have....for some reason, the model doesn't even show on Yamaha's website....

Anyway, it looks like there are:

7 Composite Video

7 S-Video

2 Component Video

Dunno if that's enough for you, but it is for me!

:)
Here's a link to a very nice review of this Yamaha RXV-1400 receiver, for those that might be interested...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Yamaha_RX_V1...?tag=cnetfd.sd

Yes, I'm pleased with my choice - it gets delivered on 1/31, along with my 60" Sony GW III (Helloooooo, SuperBowl in HD!!! WooHoo!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.