AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time I have been going back and forth on pros and cons of rear projection vs. plasma. One of the issues that I dislike about plasmas, especially the HD variety, is their high power requirements (>350 Watts) in operation. I like the KDF-E42A10 and its 210 Watt power use in operation but I was a bit surprised at the 17 Watt power draw when in standby. From my research into plasmas I would think that standby power draw should be

Am I misunderstanding the meaning of standby? If not it seems that this TV is a major-league power hog even if its power draw is OK when actually being used?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have actually run across a similar thing. I was looking at a few Toshiba DLP sets and they draw 45watts in standby!!!!

The Sony's actually are energy star compliant and so far for a projector they have the lowest power draw.

I have a follow up question for everyone. If the set is allowed to cool for say 10 - 15 minutes, would it hurt the TV to cut power? If I watch TV 3-5 hours a day, why not just totally shut it down the remaining 18-20 hours. What effect, if any would it have on the Set?

·
Registered
16 Posts
A lot of modern electronics use more power than you might think when idle or off. Tube TVs are often major culprits. This is because people like to turn on their TVs and see a picture, not wait for the set to 'warm up'. It is entirely possible that the power the A10 unit is drawing is simply the power it needs to be ready-to-go when the time comes that you want to watch TV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How do you know the A10 is in standby?

My red standby light is never lit even when powered off and plugged in.

In my GWIII 610 the red standby light was always on when the set was off.

dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.