AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat new to all this, so please bear my ignorance.

I've been reading about the new Sony Grand WEGA III, but then I'm also hearing about an XBR model coming out a bit later. What's the difference between the current model of the GWIII and the XBRs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
The XBR950 will have an OTA digital/HD tuner, a slightly different cabinet, a 120w lamp instead of a 100w lamp, and a few other very minor differences for $1500 more! Most of everything else is exactly the same between the new GWIII (WE610) and the new XBR950, including the new LCD panels with slightly higher resolution from the current XBR models. It appears that the new GWIII has a better PQ than previous models...much brighter and higher contrast than the 2003 XBR models.

If you already have a satellite/OTA or OTA HD tuner, don't bother with the XBR...just go for the WE610 (the 42" and 50" models are out now with the 60" model due out later this month). Since I already have the Sony HD-200 satellite/OTA digital/HD receiver, I didn't think the XBR is worth another $1500. I have the 60" GWIII on order.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The cabinet is wayyy different in my opinion. That alone almost warrants the extra money:) Kidding of course.

·
Registered
394 Posts
According to the manual (available online), both XBR models (60" and 70") will have a 120w lamp, but from what I understand, that alone may not drastically improve the brightness and contrast (although technically, there should be a 20% increase) over the non-XBR GWIII; probably still not worth an extra $1500, but that of course it up to each individual to decide.

Personally, if the PQ is close or equal to that of the 50" and 42" GWIII, I be very pleased with the 60" KF-60WE610 and happy to pocket the extra $1500.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been comparing in detail the differences between the KF-60WE610 and the KDF-60XBR950 and have noted the following additional features that the XBR model has to justify the higher cost (but still kinda pricey in my eyes!)

*Built-in HDTV Tuner - (as we all know, none for WE610)

*Virtual Dolby Surround - (none for WE610)

*Tos link for AC3 Dolby Digital HDTV Broadcasting - (no Tos for WE610)

*i.Link Interface: 1 Front/ 2 Rear - (none for WE610)

*Composite Inputs: 1 Front/3 Rear - (1F/2R for WE610)

*SVideo Inputs: 1 Front/3 Rear - (1F/2R for WE610)

*Control S: 1 Input/1 Output - (S out only on the WE610)

*2 year warranty on parts and labor - (1 year for the WE610)

*Weights 177lbs - suggest separate power supplies for audio/video and digital processing, more lens elements and/or better chassis construction - (WE610 weights 100lb)

For example, I have an older Sony KP-53XBR300 and compared to Sony's non-xbr models with same screen size, the XBR line tends to use more optical lens (mine has 7) instead of the standard 5 lens elements you'll find on non-xbr models. Stuff like that improves the picture and adds to the cost and weight of a tv!

-INAB

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
INeedABreak, some of your info seems wrong. My info comes from the WE610 owner's manual (posted by umr in another thread) and my personal observations.

Quote:
Originally posted by INeedABreak
*Composite Inputs: 1 Front/3 Rear - (1F/2R for WE610)

*SVideo Inputs: 1 Front/3 Rear - (1F/2R for WE610)
Cross those off your list. The WE610 has 1 Front/3 Rear, too. I know some web specs say otherwise, but they are wrong.

Quote:
Control S: 1 Input/1 Output - (S out only on the WE610)
The owner's manual says the WE610 has CONTROL S IN/OUT.

Quote:
(WE610 weights 100lb)
The weight of the KF-60WE610 is 109 lb 2 oz according to the owner's manual.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The toslink and I.link are both attributed to the HD tuner and would be found in the higher end separate tuners on the market. Also, LCD units don't have the five or seven element lenses that you see on CRT's. They do have a focusing system but it is not the same.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The XBR has enough "upgrades" to justify the $1500 cost difference. However, the value placed on these differences depend entirely on the buyer. It's the same reason why some people pay significantly more for a cd player/ transport, a costlier receiver, mercedes...you get the picture.

Bur for displays, the most critical area of performance, by a large margin, is the picture quaility (number of a/v inputs are good to have too).

When comparing XBR to non-xbr sets, you can look at the previous margins of difference on the crts and RPTVs. To some, the differences are minor, yet the xbrs still sold well based on the relatively minor improvements. I doubt that Sony would manufacture two completely different products and only charge 15-30% more.

For me, one of the most important factors in going with the XBR GW3 is the chasis and floating screen. For me, it makes a much nicer presentation and looks much more elegant in my HT room. The non XBRGW3 looks like a thinner table top RPTV and, to me, the dark grey frame around the screen just makes the picture looks smaller. - I place a lot of value on this "upgrade" and I would have been very pleased if the integrated HD Tuner was clear qam capable, but am no longer sure it is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DLiquid
INeedABreak, some of your info seems wrong. My info comes from the WE610 owner's manual (posted by umr in another thread) and my personal observations.

Cross those off your list. The WE610 has 1 Front/3 Rear, too. I know some web specs say otherwise, but they are wrong.

The owner's manual says the WE610 has CONTROL S IN/OUT.

The weight of the KF-60WE610 is 109 lb 2 oz according to the owner's manual.
I got the info off of onecall.com, as they are selling both models. But of course, 'design specifications are subject to change without notice'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
For me, one of the most important factors in going with the XBR GW3 is the chasis and floating screen. [/b]

Dear Elbert or Others,

I saw a 30" Sony xbr LCD with a Floating Screen and it did look awesome. I looked at the limited pictures I could find of the xbr 950s and I could not tell if it is going to have the Floating Screen. Can you tell me or provide links to any indications the 60" and 70" xbr 950s will have the Floating Screen.

Thanks.

MGoBlue

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Do we know for sure that the bulbs on the 60" GWIII versus the XBR model changes from 100watts to 120watts????

Does Sony offer a pedistal that goes with the XBR 60"?? Any urls??

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Sony XBR950 has different LCD panels than the WE610. In the preliminary specifications they had the 610 having 3.15 mega pixels and the XBR950 having 3.28 mega pixels. When the 610s shipped they had the 3.28 mega pixels. I called Sony and was transferred to the development department and thay told me that they have increased the pixel count to 3.58 mega pixels on the XBR950

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn M
...they have increased the pixel count to 3.58 mega pixels on the XBR950
1431 x 833? :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I saw the 70" XBR and it looks awesome.

I purchased the 60" xbr 950 sight-unseen and I am pleasantly surprised with the look of the new XBR 950. It looked even better than I imagined it would.

For me the appearance alone is worth the extra $$ over the non-xbr.

Go XBR!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
mgoblue, where are you? :)

I mean, where is it that you saw this wonderous apparition?

The form factor/appearance is one reason I am waiting for the XBR, other than the promise of incrementally better PQ. My wife agrees with the wait as well, but only because of the appearance issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.