AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked a Dish network 811 to my 60" GWIII LCD rear, Using a monster DVI 400 cable, and the picture was terrible, even in HD. The componet cables looked great, even the cheap ones supplied by dish. The Sony tech that came out to fix my buzz (install a small resister in the ballast board and replace the lamp) said that i was not the first person who told him that. What's up? i want to, and Will use the DVI input eventually, so does anybody have any ideas? Also are cables that go from my computer's nvidea graphics card to DVI available?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
At 1080i with DVI and Voom, I got a great picture. Same 60"GWIII. Same with a seperate OTA HD tuner on 1080I. I only had PQ issues trying to do 720p and 1080I on a DVD player and DVI connection. DVD player did better on component.

You might want to see if others are having issues with the 811.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am using a Momitsu DVD player with the DVI input with my 60" GWIII and the picture looks great. 720p and 1080I look about the same to me. I settled on the 720p setting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I called sony and asked about the DVI port -- their 2nd level CSR told me its only for STB's for OTA or Dish/Cable - NOT for DVD players.... I thought that was odd and didnt understand why it cant be for both.

anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just bought the monster DVI cable and hooked up my Hughes Directv STB. I can honestly say I didn't see a great deal of difference from using component. It makes me question my $100 expenditure.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Dish Network 811 has some known picture quality issues over the DVI port, including one about the image being too dark or such. This issue is apparently not present on the Dish Network 921 (although it has its own set of problems).

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
It sounds like the Dish box is outputting the "Computer" DVI spec and your TV is looking for the "TV" DVI spec signal. I have an ATI 8500DV video card with a computer spec DVI output. When I plug it into my 50†SONY GWIII then everything looks black. It appears as if there are no greys, it is either Black or color. I think this is what they call Black Crush and it also happens on the Samsung DVI DVD player. Basically just use the component outputs instead. I have done several comparisons and to my eye there is no difference between the component and DVI inputs except for the Black Crush on the DVI. Hope this helps. Please correct me if I have misspoken.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it may be the 811? yes i am using the componets for now, but would still like the ability to use the DVI in the future, maybe for another source componet. and yes, the problem is the picture is way to dark, and lifeless. so this is a known issue with the 811? (i'm beginning to think this product was not ready for release, because i have had many other "known issues" with that unit. Anymore thoughts out there?

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I have looked at several devices over DVI. These include an LG LST-3510A, Bravo D1, Samsung SIR-T165 and a JVC 30K D-VHS through the Samsung. I have seen problems with all of them.

The Samsung has an inferior MPEG decoder and the ATSC tuner somehow gets the colors wrong. The JVC 30K works very well through the Samsung, but the Samsung gets the time messed up which makes time shifting difficult to impossible. The colors using the JVC are correct while the ATSC tuner is sometimes wrong.

The LG LST-3510A has a very nice ATSC tuner and MPEG Decoder, but it does not handle the Auto DVI function correctly. This causes the Native mode function to be worthless. The DVD player appears to be outputting black at 7.5 IRE while HD is 0 IRE. This causes black levels to be off between the two over DVI. I have not seen this problem over component.

The Grand Wega does not pickup whether a DVD player is outputting a widescreen or 4:3 movie automatically over DVI. This is a problem with the LG and Bravo DVD player. The Bravo and LG DVD player appear to have more problems than my Panasonic XP30 handling disk problems.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dan57
I just bought the monster DVI cable and hooked up my Hughes Directv STB. I can honestly say I didn't see a great deal of difference from using component. It makes me question my $100 expenditure.

i've paid 15$ on ebay for my 1 meter long DVI -D cable and i am 100% sure that if we would test electronically both cables, we would get the same performance

why do you guys spend that much on cables .. only need something that can support high speed and is not too long!

the only reason to buy expensive dvi cables is because you are running 2 meter length or more ..

·
Registered
81 Posts
from my EE friend -- you can only get so good as far as cables go--- a lot of this expensive stuff is just a scam -- 'best sound from these 150$ cables!' when our ears cant tell the difference between that and the 20 dollar cable. time for a pepsi vs coke blind taste test

but if you are rich, why not!? --

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vandammeman
I Needed a 5m cable, that is why i went with the monster, $100 is steep, but not bad for a 16 foot cable
When you consider the materials and labor needed to manufacture the cable, $100 is bad.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBobGoat
kinda seems like getting that sumsung would be a waste then -- anyone else got some experience with the DVI in the WE610's and hear its only for STB's and such?
Several reports of Samsung items causing the black crush issue have shown up in other threads. I have tried my Sammy 351 via DVI to my GWIII and the grays are non-existent. I've switched to using component cables and get a great picture. I've also communicated with a Sammy DVD owner who was using it's DVI connection to a GWIII and he also had the exact same issue with the blacks. If fact, he was returning his Sammy and getting a D1 machine to try.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
Kenni_o

Did you find using the samsung 351 on the GWIII via DVI at 720p was softer than 480p on component??
Jim - because most networks broadcast in 1080i, I've kept my STB 351 locked in on 1080i. Sammy makes it hard to be much comparison because they use a manual switch on the back of their STB to change resolutions. I know I tried 720p with DVI hoping the resolution change would make some difference in the black problem. I really don't remember the 720p making any difference in the overall PQ.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Over-priced cables are especially a rip-off if it's a cable that carries a digital signal. The signal over a TOSlink, digital coax, or DVI cable is a digital signal and it gains nothing from better insulation or heavier gauged wires unless you're in an environment with a huge amount of interference that must be kept out to avoid destroying the signal. Digital signals are just like the digital satellite or OTA HDTV signals...it's either on or not; there's no intermediary degradation in the signal. There's no point in getting anything other than the cheapest available cable for these digital signals because there's no way you can improve a digital signal via the quality of the cables.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by baronmon
... Digital signals are just like the digital satellite or OTA HDTV signals...it's either on or not; there's no intermediary degradation in the signal. There's no point in getting anything other than the cheapest available cable for these digital signals because there's no way you can improve a digital signal via the quality of the cables.
This is FALSE for DVI. DVI has no error detection or correction. All errors are passed on to the display. This has been demonstrated by others. DVI is not an all or nothing type of communication. Also, many things are done to the signal before it gets to the DVI port. This can and does create performance differences between devices that use DVI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.