AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard the buzzing sound once or twice but that was only when I turned it off and on really quickly by accident. Other than that, the set has turned on every time. I purchased mine in November so I don't know if there was a fix in place at that time.

Was there a bad batch that was manufactured or something. I can understand how if someone bought a floor model that was running all the time that their would be a problem with it.

Any insight into the problems others are having is appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine buzzed slightly the first time this morning turning on, I have a December build. Said a small prayer (and I'm an atheist) and it turned on. Bought the 5 year extended warranty from the seller for piece of mind. They said it included free cleaning but not sure what means, dusting inside? Luv the tv so far but always worried from reading the threads here. Perhaps the debate should be is it better to know or just be in the dark LOL ... I think it's valuable that everyone has been able to share their experiences whether that be problems or to the good.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Got mine on Dec. 1. Nov. build date. So far no problems.

Rockbottom16: Did your ISF calibration improve your black level? Did your calibrator install a neutral density filter? What tweaks did he do that you feel improved an already spectacular picture?

·
Registered
28 Posts
We got our 50 inch GW3 on October 18th. It goes through several on-off cycles a day, and it gets watched for several hours each day. It has never exhibited any reliability issues whatsoever.

As a matter of fact we have been unable to discern even a single pixel issue with this unit, and we tried hard with a magnifying glass in hand.

I was worried about the set the first day I had it because we experience several quick power loss / power resumption cycles in a row right after we turned it on for the first time. And those are the only power failures we've ever had at this place. The TV was plugged into a decent surge protector, but the rapid cycling still annoyed me. There have been no ill effects, apparently.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Had the 60WE610 since end of October, other than a stuck green pixel which I can see at a my viewing distance of approximately 12 feet, have had no problems with the set, which I use daily.

I was pretty surprised I could actually see a stuck pixel at that viewing distance, but it doesn't really bother me, I have to actively look for it, but can always see it when I do. In a way it makes me feel good that my 43 year old eyes are still pretty sharp, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my set 4 days ago went with the 50in only had one buzzing noise so far when i was programming the remote i turned the tv off and on real quick other then that i love this tv espically with the 720p xbox games they look amazing

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 60WE610 is great! Purchased on Nov 30th, Oct build, no stuck pixels. Set turns on after three to four blinks on the green LED every time.

Only complaint is that black levels are not nearly as good as the direct view CRT that this set replaces, but I already knew that prior to my purchase.

One observation I've made is that when watching analog cable channels, the picture is much, much, better coming straight from the wall jack. I suspect the reason for this is because the TV does a much better job of upconverting than the set top box can.

DVD and HD are absolutely incredible on this set!

·
Banned
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PCW

Rockbottom16: Did your ISF calibration improve your black level? Did your calibrator install a neutral density filter? What tweaks did he do that you feel improved an already spectacular picture?
Tell you the truth, I did not notice black level being any different. He did not install any filters. Black level was never really an issue for me. But what I did notice most after the cal was that the picture was a lot less noisy and less compression & artifacts. Before the cal, the picture was somewhat spectacular like you mentioned. However, it looked like light mist or haze in the background on some the SD directv channels and this included the HD ones as well in my eyes. I think you directv people know exactly what Im talking about. After the cal, a lot of the mist and haze dissappeared and colors looked more natural and richer. In case you're wondering, I use Canare component cables. And since a calibration for LCD is exactly 1/2 less expensive than RPTV, that was an easy call for me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Septmeber build, delivered October 3rd with no issues at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1 week old, October buld date for the 50". No problems at all. I bought it as an open box item at CC for a great discount.

I never turn it off, but leave it on standby b/c I'm scared of the bulb popping. Got the extended warranty also.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Ok one thing I forgot to mention about the calibrration.

After the calibration, you will notice the picture not being so bright but hold on to your seat and don't panic just yet...like I did. After about 2-3 hours for me at least, I realized the picture was smoother, clearer, and had a little nicer color. Well I guess it was because I had been so accustomed to watching it so BRIGHT before with contrast level of about 75 and brightness at 60. I know, it's kinda high. It's now back to normal level right down the middle at 50.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have the XBR 950 (70), bought in Dec, built in October, and in the series of numbers said to be 'of concern'. However, the set is on repeatedly all day (due to news/stocks), and overall about 15 hours a day... no trouble.. no noise, no buzz; just one slightly visible (only a couple feet) blue pixel, and other than that the set is as good as a consumer product can be in my opinion (4th HDTV set total).

I certainly feel for those with woes (have been there on previous models), but this particular set is just fine, with near-perfect geometry and superb colors, and compared to the last model, no real deficiency of blacks either.

cheers!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.