AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In face-off competition/lab tests of 10 HDRPTVs conducted by Home Theater Mag, the GWIII came 2nd and the Sammy 5th. As reported in the feb issue of this mag, the Sony beats the Sammy in Build Quality, Value, Features, Performance and Ergonomics.

Mike50

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why post this kind of thread? I have and enjoy a GWIII, but I know that the Samsung has a slightly better picture (due to better black levels.) I chose the GWIII because I did not see enough difference to justify the spending close to a thousand dollars more.

Besides, all you are going to do is inspire a bunch more GWIII bashing and complaints about poor reviews in Hometheater Magazine.

Buy what you like, and like what you buy!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike50
In face-off competition/lab tests of 10 HDRPTVs conducted by Home Theater Mag, the GWIII came 2nd and the Sammy 5th. As reported in the feb issue of this mag, the Sony beats the Sammy in Build Quality, Value, Features, Performance and Ergonomics.

Mike50
Just curious on what came first?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigscreentv
Just curious on what came first?
A Toshiba and the Sony were tied but the edge to the Toshiba due to black levels. I, myself, saw the 60" Sony XBR today and I have yet to see anything beat it. Plasma, different story but between Samsung DLP, Sony LCD (XBR) and most RPTVs the Sony XBR wins. The Mitsu 65" Platinum, I think it was WS65713 was very, very good. I thought as good as the DLP.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by saberry
Why post this kind of thread? I have and enjoy a GWIII, but I know that the Samsung has a slightly better picture (due to better black levels.) I chose the GWIII because I did not see enough difference to justify the spending close to a thousand dollars more.
wouldnt you say the color is better in the GWIII ? i chose it because the price was right and DLP seems a little shady to me

·
Registered
45 Posts
the Sony non-xbr was the one reviewed, no hitachi.

3 DLPs, 2 LCDs and 5 CRTs RPTV were reviewed.

It came down to basically your room environment, Sony for the brighter room (family room) and Toshiba for a dark room; no surprise here.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I owned both sets. Both have great pictures. I kept the DLP because of the black detail. It's a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went in originally thinking I would be leaving with a Sammy DLP, based on everybody seeming to give the edge to DLP on performance. I really wasn't concerend with the cost difference, because when I am spending a decent chunk of money, I always spend the incremental amount to get what I really feel is what I want. All my research said I want DLP.

I looked at every local store, and for some reason, I found all of the DLP's to have an annoying picture. I can't say exactly what it was, but it felt busy. I don't know if it was dithering or what, but it felt hyper / annoying. My wife agreed with my observations.

I really liked the Sony picture. The blacks may not have been as black, but they were softer to my eye, and more watchable. I went with the GWIII.

As far as a 20% failure rate. I really doubt it.

·
Premium Member
10,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tsxprss
...As far as a 20% failure rate. I really doubt it.
Rumors seem to indicate a fairly high failure rate. I would guess anything between 5 and 100% are fatally flawed at this point. 50% of the ones I have tweaked have failed. Only time will tell what the true failure rate is.

I do believe Sony will fix this in the end, but it will be a big hassel for those with problems.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by saberry

Besides, all you are going to do is inspire a bunch more GWIII bashing and complaints about poor reviews in Hometheater Magazine.

Buy what you like, and like what you buy!
sal! couldnt agree more--sometimes i wonder if MOST of the opinions here that are neg are put up by the competition, as my 42 in and 3 mos old and my co workers-all sizes have NONE of the problems mentioned here-they play beautifully-take what you( hear) here with a grain of salt-ANYONE cant write here-get my drift?(wink) same as you and me

·
Registered
980 Posts
Once you realize that a Toshiba won this shootout you should realize that it is a joke. We all know that Toshiba's are not the best CRT RP nevermind best overall.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBobGoat
wouldnt you say the color is better in the GWIII ? i chose it because the price was right and DLP seems a little shady to me
what in the hell is going on with the black level issue?i had a 36 in sony tube-went to a 42in lcd sony(ive been a crt watcher since howdy doody!!! im 60 yrs old,BORN with TUBE tv -and dont know what in gods name you mean!the blks look the same to me-i run back and forth tween the 42in lcd and tube-even put side by side--see NO real diff-except for the contrast levels-(higher on the LCD)looks ok to me ,or ill bet any sane watcher-am i comparing the levels to 'perfectionists ideals?meaning those that expect star trek next generation performance?or the AVG human being ENJOYER of tv and what the technology has to offer?at THIS stage of technology-GAWD!!! the technicians on here that havent been discovered!!!!!! loolololololololo-monday morn qbacks

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by studranger4
-take what you( hear) here with a grain of salt-ANYONE cant write here-get my drift?(wink) same as you and me
Yes, I'm sure that everyone who posted about problems (and included their serial numbers and date of manufacture) were simply making it all up...

While there is some sketchy information on the Internet, the vast majority of folks who post here are legitimate, IMHO.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfischer
Yes, I'm sure that everyone who posted about problems (and included their serial numbers and date of manufacture) were simply making it all up...

While there is some sketchy information on the Internet, the vast majority of folks who post here are legitimate, IMHO.
i agree to a certain extent-my 42 in after 3 months is ok-and my son in law.has the 50 inch 2 mos old-and 2 co workers-the 42 in 2 mos old-NO probs-what would YOU think when you KNOW buyers of this tv and they are delighted!!!!with NO problems!what would YOU think?NOT to shoot down those on here that have REAL probs with this tv-BUT makes you wonder doesnt it?brings back the old adage=never believe what you read in a newspaper as gospel-same applies here

·
Registered
40 Posts
All,

I am not an ISF expert, but I just chose the SONY 60" GWIII over the Sammy DLP and I am extremely pleased so far...right out of the box colors...better at home than in the store. I am watching the celebration and commentation now for the Panthers/Eagles game. JB is wearing black leather gloves, another guy was wearing a black Panther cap and they bothed look very black to me. I spent 4 years in Korea with Samsung and Goldstar products...I'll take a Sony over them anyday. Even the Koreans envy Sonys and often try to replicate their technology. I love this TV. It is a January 04 build so I believe the couple of technical issues were resolved this month. Now if there was just more HDTV and a good, economical stand for it. The Sony stand is way over priced and not too good looking. I have it up on a 21" temporary stand and I can see why the Sony stand in only 15.9" high. I'm looking forward to seeing the TECHCRAFT SWE60 stand being developed now.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by studranger4
i agree to a certain extent-my 42 in after 3 months is ok-and my son in law.has the 50 inch 2 mos old-and 2 co workers-the 42 in 2 mos old-NO probs-what would YOU think when you KNOW buyers of this tv and they are delighted!!!!with NO problems!what would YOU think?
I would think that you're dealing with a sample size that's too small to make any reliable projections from. You're only dealing with 4 people who own the set. Even if one of you had a bad set that would be a 25% failure rate. This is why market research studies don't use a sample size of 4 - it's completely meaningless.

We're dealing with a much larger sample here on AVS than you and your 3 friends - which tends to make the results more reliable. However, the polls and messages posted here are not statistically reliable for many reasons, but they do give a better representation of the GWIII's failure rate than a sample of 4 people do.

While I'm glad to hear that you and your 3 friends haven't had any problems, you can't extrapolate that to the general population of GWIII owners and assume that nobody else is having problems as well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This thread is pointless.

There is a thousand times more useful information on all the sets reviewed right here in this forum, by actual owners, who have spent hundreds of hours in the read world using their sets, than there is in any magazine review article.

All these sets are good. Get the one that fits in your room or looks cool to you or that you can afford. Don't be an idiot with this "well, I saw all these sets at best buy for 15 minutes and the xyz is clearly better".

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.