AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GWIV thread was getting way too big, so I figured I'd start a new one specifically for connecting a HTPC to the new GWIV sets. I just took the plunge and bought the 60XS955 at Best Buy today...it won't be delivered for a week, but in the meantime...

Has anyone out there sucessfuly gotten a PC conencted to one of these? I saw in the other thread someone got the DVI out working at 640x480, but no luck so far at 1280x720. As far as I know, the only way (today) to use a PC at full res is with a component out card (like ATI). But I propose the challenge to see if anyone can get a DVI out of their PC to the HDMI in of the GWIV!!!

Jason

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm liking 1152x648.. Its recognized as a 720p "resolution".. Probably better than any of the '720p' crap I get off Cable/Sat anyways.. But this is (was) on a 60XBR950... I don't see why it wouldn't work with a XS955.. even if it is an inferior TV.. (hehhe.. jk jk. I'm buying one soon)..

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've tried everything, including powerstrip, and I cannot get anything other than 640x480 and 1280x720 to display on my 50WE655. Nothing else will even sync. 1280x720 is severely overscanned.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just bought a 60xs955 and am very interested in doing this. I have a dell inspiron 8600 with the ati 9600 128mb graphics card. What is required to do this hookup? Can vga be split out and hooked up into the hdmi?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had some luck with 1177 x 662 with a nVidia care. From my post yesturday (I am a new member, so I can't post links yet):

GWIV and HTPC

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on AVS, though I've been lurking for a long time. I just got a Sony KDF-42-WE655, and it was my intention from the start to use it as a HTPC. I am connecting through HDMI with a Geoforce 6800 GT using the beta 66.72 drivers.

Like others who had tried connecting a PC to a GWIV, I tried 1280 x 720 first. And the overscan was pretty severe. I went through some of the menu's in the Nvidia control panel, and I managed to get a pretty solid desktop at 1177 x 662. (see attached picture)

I did this through:

1)selecting "nView Display Settings"on the foldout Nvidia menu.

2) "Sony TV" was already filled out as current display. I then selected "Device Setting" -> "Select TV format" -> "advanced"

3) Hitting the "HDTV Desktop" button brought up another box, where I selected "Use underscan to show the entire Windows desktop" - selecting this set the display to 1177 x 662, where is seems to fill the screen perfectly.

This may not be 1:1 pixel mapping, and I have not tried powerstrip yet...but it is much better then the sever overscan at 1280 x 720

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DirtRider
I just bought a 60xs955 and am very interested in doing this. I have a dell inspiron 8600 with the ati 9600 128mb graphics card. What is required to do this hookup? Can vga be split out and hooked up into the hdmi?
Is my only option to try this with a laptop to get a transcoder? Does this still allow me to use things like powerstrip to make custom resolutions?

If anyone has a good thread that I should read for the basics or a good link to somewhere else that explains it I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your only bet is either a VGA to component transcoder, or a VGA to DVI converter. The transcoder is probably cheaper. I think the cheapest VGA-to-DVI converters are in the $250 range.

Since you have an ATI video chip in your laptop, you can also try the ATI HD component adapter. it will work with a Radeon 9600, but I have no clue if this will work with a laptop or not.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...999-204&DEPA=1

Jason

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrapps
I think your only bet is either a VGA to component transcoder, or a VGA to DVI converter. The transcoder is probably cheaper. I think the cheapest VGA-to-DVI converters are in the $250 range.

Since you have an ATI video chip in your laptop, you can also try the ATI HD component adapter. it will work with a Radeon 9600, but I have no clue if this will work with a laptop or not.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...999-204&DEPA=1

Jason
This is one of the things I don't understand. How is that specific to ATI? VGA ports are all the same or it wouldn't work with other brands of monitors so that said this thing should work for any card. However, this just splits out the RGB and that isn't compatible with HDTV specs right. I swear I have seen this piece before and read that it will not work. Why would it work on the desktop cards and not laptops then? These mfgs have way overcomplicated this stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DirtRider
This is one of the things I don't understand. How is that specific to ATI? VGA ports are all the same or it wouldn't work with other brands of monitors so that said this thing should work for any card. However, this just splits out the RGB and that isn't compatible with HDTV specs right. I swear I have seen this piece before and read that it will not work. Why would it work on the desktop cards and not laptops then? These mfgs have way overcomplicated this stuff.
This does not put out RGBHV, it puts out YPbPr component video which uses different black reference levels, etc... "Works with any analog component (YPrPb) input device such as projectors, HDTVs, etc."

I would bet that the video cards listed have an option in the display drivers that may let you set the video to YPbPr on the video card in which case the HD-15 connector on the video card probably puts out YPbPr and not RGBHV. If that is the case the adapter that they are selling is just a breakout from HD-15 to RCA connectors that are standard for YPbPr and the adapter would not work on other mfr video cards.

what do you all think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been able to get my HTPC to work with no overscan at 1184x666 on my 42WE655 using these timings:

1184x666=1184,80,96,296,666,35,10,39,74675,272

Has anyone been able to get something closer to the native resolution of the display working? I've spent quite a while trying to get it to sync, but I just can't seem to find a combination that keeps the pixel clock low enough for the display.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chaptastic
I've been able to get my HTPC to work with no overscan at 1184x666 on my 42WE655 using these timings:

1184x666=1184,80,96,296,666,35,10,39,74675,272

Has anyone been able to get something closer to the native resolution of the display working? I've spent quite a while trying to get it to sync, but I just can't seem to find a combination that keeps the pixel clock low enough for the display.
I'll try that on my HTPC tonight and see if it works for me. What type of video card are you using?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Can you adjust for the overscan in the GWIV service menu. If not then the only way to eliminate it is to use the ATI component adapter. There is a setting in the new 4.10 catalyst drivers that will eliminate overscan for the component adapter. The component adapter also does not suffer from black crush like the DVI cable does. Everyone thinks that DVI is the best and only way to go. It is not. It is no better and in most cases worse(Because of Black Crush) than component cables. Try the component adapter out you will probably be pleaseantly surprised. I currently run my GWIII at 1776x1000(1080i) with no overscan over component. I use 1280x720p sometimes but I just like the 1080i better for movies and my ATI HDTV wonder.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpgxsvcd
Can you adjust for the overscan in the GWIV service menu. If not then the only way to eliminate it is to use the ATI component adapter. There is a setting in the new 4.10 catalyst drivers that will eliminate overscan for the component adapter. The component adapter also does not suffer from black crush like the DVI cable does. Everyone thinks that DVI is the best and only way to go. It is not. It is no better and in most cases worse(Because of Black Crush) than component cables. Try the component adapter out you will probably be pleaseantly surprised. I currently run my GWIII at 1776x1000(1080i) with no overscan over component. I use 1280x720p sometimes but I just like the 1080i better for movies and my ATI HDTV wonder.
overscan be be adjusted + and - on my 60xs955

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josey_Wales
I had some luck with 1177 x 662 with a nVidia care. From my post yesturday (I am a new member, so I can't post links yet):

GWIV and HTPC

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on AVS, though I've been lurking for a long time. I just got a Sony KDF-42-WE655, and it was my intention from the start to use it as a HTPC. I am connecting through HDMI with a Geoforce 6800 GT using the beta 66.72 drivers.

Like others who had tried connecting a PC to a GWIV, I tried 1280 x 720 first. And the overscan was pretty severe. I went through some of the menu's in the Nvidia control panel, and I managed to get a pretty solid desktop at 1177 x 662. (see attached picture)

I did this through:

1)selecting "nView Display Settings"on the foldout Nvidia menu.

2) "Sony TV" was already filled out as current display. I then selected "Device Setting" -> "Select TV format" -> "advanced"

3) Hitting the "HDTV Desktop" button brought up another box, where I selected "Use underscan to show the entire Windows desktop" - selecting this set the display to 1177 x 662, where is seems to fill the screen perfectly.

This may not be 1:1 pixel mapping, and I have not tried powerstrip yet...but it is much better then the sever overscan at 1280 x 720
Hi Josey_Wales, (great movie btw!). What brand and model Videocard are you using. There are lots of GeForce 6800 GT's out there. From what I read you can only get to the 'Advanced' Tab if you have a card with an DVI connector with an external TMDS chip. Do you have single or dual DVI connectors. Thanks for the update!

Tiarella

·
Registered
8 Posts
jojoxl,

I'm using an ATI AIW Radeon 9600 with an RCA VGA->component transcoder. I've done quite a bit more tinkering and I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that a lion's share of my problems finding good timings are due to the questionable quality of the transcoder. I guess I'm off to look for a better one and this one is on it's way back to Fry's.

-chap

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiarella
Hi Josey_Wales, (great movie btw!). What brand and model Videocard are you using. There are lots of GeForce 6800 GT's out there. From what I read you can only get to the 'Advanced' Tab if you have a card with an DVI connector with an external TMDS chip. Do you have single or dual DVI connectors. Thanks for the update!

Tiarella
Hey Tiarella,

I am useing a PNY brand 6800 GT, with one DVI out. I don't know if there is a external TMSD chip on it

·
Registered
37 Posts
FYI: I use my xbox as my HTPC =) It works great! I play divx encoded movies on my tv. It has an option to upconvert the movies. So my xbox upconverts my divx to 720p and then sends to my tv. They look really good I think.

I use a program called Xbox Media Center to display movies and pictures.

You can learn about it here:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/

and I use the project mayhem skin found here:

http://www.critikill.net/

Enjoy,

-HR

·
Registered
15 Posts
I cannot get "ANY" picture on my 60XS955 from my computer it seems no matter

What I have:

Sony 60XS955

Radeon 8500 (using DVI Output)

HDMI to DVI Converter Monster Cable (tested Video 7 & 8)

I have tried standard windows resolutions and also a few of the custom timings mentioned for GWIII

Can anyone please shed some light on why I cannot get any picture? I have hooked this same computer up to a Fujitsu 50" Plasma and get 1:1 pixel map at 1360x768 without a problem so I know the computer is working.

Thanks for any help

Michael (akaSurreal)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.