AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a 3K TV is not an easy experience. Was set to get the JVC HD-ILA until I started reading about the poor SD, color convergance issues here. I can't go DLP because they give me headaches, I really wanted to but everytime I go back to the store same story.

Decided then that maybe the GW was the one but IMHO LCD RPTV blacks and motion, sd are what is keeping me from making the leap.

So I'm tired of staring at my 27" from 11' and need something soon. I can get a 42" GWIII on sale now for a really good price and that would hold me over a few years until these technologies settle down. Or I could get the XS (haven't seen one yet) or the rumored new D-ILA.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well i just got the 50 gv4 about 4 days ago and seat about 8 1/2 away and it's just right. Got it right between 2600 and 2700. The blacks are fine to me. I say go with the Sony. 42 and 11 would be way to small.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
SD on the D-ILA is pretty good. Maybe some folks need to adjust their sets. Or their attitudes.

Look at them all, in different stores to leaven out the badly set up units, and then pick the one the wife wants. :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't read any DILA threads about poor SD quality, but that was the first thing I noticed about the set. I am, however, sick of hearing about black levels in LCD. There just isn't enough difference to worry about it. The pure colors of your best LCDs (V500/V715/VS810/GWIII/GWIV) smoke any DLP at a similar price. I wish I could see an XS outside of Best Buy in my area ( I wish I carried it).

By the way, is anyone who bought a DILA happy with that remote? I almost have to sell a universal with each of those sets.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by realdeal317

By the way, is anyone who bought a DILA happy with that remote? I almost have to sell a universal with each of those sets.
No, I don't like the remote much. The only remote for any piece of electronic equipment that I own that I actually like is the TiVo peanut. Everything else, I just don't use them. I even have a Pronto that I don't use anymore.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Like someone always says - you are asking for opinions here, and the answer you are going to get is what is sitting in their living room.

D-ILA has been in mine 5 weeks and I love it to death - guess what I think you should get?

But my opinion is worth about as much as a wooden nickel.

Use the forums to learn the pro's and con's about both and then spend some significant time watching. Also, learn to properly evaluate opinions on these forums - some people tend to get a little "Oprah" from time to time. :D

D-ILA has some problems - but until the perfect set comes around cry me a river. The reason you are seeing more about D-ILA is it is new - I've been reading complaints about problems with LCD, DLP for over a year... it's just not the "new" thing anymore. Does this mean D-ILA is great? No there have been some sets with problems, but I've found far more happy customers than unhappy on these forums.

The bottom line is come to these forums to learn about the Pro's and Con's each model, but if you really want to know what TV is best for you take those Pro's and Con's and do some significant "face time" with the TVs. I think it is foolish to spend less than an hour watching what you'll spend the next 10,000 + watching.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.