AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a DTC-100 that I use with a D-ila projector. It does a fair to poor job of upconverting SD DirecTV to 540p. I see that the Sony can be set to upconvert to 1080i; how is the picture? Any DTC-100 owners that have both care to comment on the diff. in upconversion quality between the 2? Softness, jaggies, etc... Especially concerned about 30fps material (video material - not film), and the quality of its upconversion.

Also, if you set it to upconvert to 1080i, can you select 16X9 or 4X3 1080i, or are you stuck with just 16X9 output only ?

- Thanks for any comments.

- Chris.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you get the DTC-100 to output in different modes? I have had a tough time getting the regular (non-HD) DirecTV channels to look good.

I have a DTC-100 (with the VGA to component converter) and a Sharp XVDW100U projector.

The HD images are spectacular. The non-HD images are unwatchable.

Any help?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

By diff. modes I assume you mean 16X9 vs. 4X3?

If this is what you mean, you can select it in one of the menus, or after one of the software updates ~8 months ago you can do it with (I think) the FF key on the remote - toggles between "modes".

If you mean 540p vs 1080i, the unit automatically converts all SDTV to 540p (virtually same timings as 1080i) - there is no choice.

My hope is that one of the 1080i upconverting units may look better as there is no deinterlacing done. Deinterlacing is quite hard (expensive) to do well, and it seems to me that leaving it interlaced and upping the apparent resolutions would cause a lot less problems.

Anyone ?

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I ran the Sony and RCA side by side and thought the RCA looked better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response. I actually meant different modes as in 540p vs. 1080i.

I may have solved my own issue. Last night I wired the composite out from the DTC-100 into a different input in my amp (Sony 444ES), and used the composite video input on the projector to produce the non-HD DirecTV signals. I turned the DTC-100's HD monitor off and..... voila....much better!

New question, though: I get no signal when trying to use the DTC-100's S-Video out jack, even on a new input channel on the amp. Am I missing something new?

------------------

Success *always* has 2 parts: planning and improvisation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.