AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HD-100 has the '3' software patches Sony has sent through DirecTv but I still have the dreaded audio / video sync problem with OTA digital broadcast. I receive OTA from Cincinnati, OH and all three networks are out of sync (FOX, NBC and CBS). I've not seen much discussion about this issue lately and wondered if I was the only one still experiencing this problem. Called Sony last week and spoke to a level 2 technician but he skated around the issue stating Sony was aware of the situation and was currently evaluating there position. This statement was pointless and he did not commit Sony to any planned solution. Just wondered if other owners are experiencing OTA audio / video sync problems?

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif John

[This message has been edited by Jon (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

John,

The audio sync problem was very big at my house a few weeks ago. My wife seemed particularily sensitive to it. I have not had the problem in quite a few days. I spoke to an engineer at a local station and he told me that there was some kind of problem in the way they broadcast and the way the Sony box worked. He also said that they were changing their broadcast and that and/or the Sony download apparently fixed the situatiion here, at least. Art

·
Registered
66 Posts
John,

I had this problem for the first few weeks with my HD100. Sony has been working with the broadcasters on a fix as well as a download fix. I have not had this problem in quite a while, I think the broadcasters here made some changes. (the patches from Sony may also have affected this, but they will not say)

Also check out this thread, it has some details of what Sony wanted the stations to change. You might want to contact the station and see if they will work with Sony on resolving this.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013666.html

Warren

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
John,

If you're seeing the problem on all of your OTA HD channels, then you might actually have a defective unit. I haven't had any problem since the patches and never experienced it on FOX or NBC. There is a slight possibility that all 3 of your stations are at fault, but it's not very likely.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks For the info everyone!

I just got off the phone with AlamoTV (where I purchased the HD-100) and they said many of their customers are complaining about this issue. I also called Sony and they said the unit was OK and they are still working with the local affiliates to correct the audio / video sync. I guess I'll have to be patient with this unit. I'm use to beta testing and there is a price to pay for having the first units of a new technology. I just hope Sony continues to correct the software / hardware problems with this unit before selling the next generation.

John

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
As a follow-up to the Dallas post, it was previously confirmed (via email) that *at least* the ABC sync problem was solved on the broadcast via encoder settings. I believe this to also be true for CBS; NBC never had this problem (and FOX doesn't *really* broadcast HD, so it's "don't care"). While Sony may in fact do a software patch to modify how they look at the data stream, I believe the main source of the problem was improper *encoding* on the part of broadcasters. Remember, the encoders are still new (and not well understood) and it's possible that your OTA stations lack the proper expertise to diagnose & fix the problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have tried three HD100's and with all three I get the lip sync problem. The first two units I tried just after the initial release of the HD100. After returning both of those boxes, two weeks ago I decided to give it another go. My new box still has the same lip sync problem. The Sony dealer near me does not have the lip synch problem on their display unit. I'm beginning to think it is some sort of an installation problem, but I can't think of what. I use a Radio Shack UHF antenna in my attic and use RG6 cable. I split the cable and connect it to the digital and analog OTA inputs. I am going to try using a Silver Sensor antenna and see if it makes a difference. I haven't tried watching any OTA in several days so maybe I should check it again tonight before messing with the antenna.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Serotta

I'm using a UHF antenna (Channel Master Bow Tie) mounted in my attic with RG6 cable going directly to the OTA coax connector. I have a separate antenna (Radio Shack) with RG6 cable for my standard analog connection. My OTA signal strength meter for my digital channels is +90 so I can't imagine a problem with the antenna unless it just doesn't like the attic. I work for an antenna company and our engineers told me that UHF reception would not be affected by an attic installation and the signal strengths tend to support this fact. If anyone can help please chime in as Sony doesn't really have an answer

Thanks,

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.