AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two days, my unit stopped working, with only the fan running! Do you think it was trying to tell me something???

Frankly, the Sony fan noise was insufferable. I found the RCA DTC-100 to usually be quiet if you were two feet away or more. In fact, I didn't even realize it had a fan, period, until I read something about it months after I already was using it. And only about two months ago did the DTC-100 fan start to occassionally make a tiny bit of noise that I could hear in my perfectly quiet dedicated home theater room.

I had a DISH OTA unit, too, which I sold, due to its fan noise, and because the OTA digital tuner was no better, even worse, than the DTC-100.

Now I have the Toshiba HD STB, no fan, so perfectly quiet always!

I'd rate the Sony fan as more than twice as loud as the DISH OTA one, and WAY LOUDER, many times, that of the DTC-100. I luved the Sony STB in every other respect, especially the added NTSC picture quality of 480i NTSC component, out to my Dwin Transcanner 2 at 720p. But the Sony's fan noise is insufferable and it won't be coming back for me.

I don't think its just a little oil for the bearing - I think its a very high speed fan which moves a lot of air, and you're gonna hear it. Of course, if you have a D-ILA or LCD or CRT projector with a loud fan, or a loud air conditioning/heating system, you maybe won't notice the additional noise from the fan.

What's your impression of the Sony's fan noise and how does it detract from your audio experience, if at all?

------------------

Steve Bruzonsky

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Something is wrong here. The fan in my unit is very quiet. I stood behind the rack and listened and it is hardly audible.

I am driven nuts by my DILA fans. Have to do a major hushbox there. Sony, with DILA off, was barely perceptible. Maybe you had an out of balance fan. Art

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can hear the fan when I'm next to it, but not from 10' away. When I close the audio cabinet doors, the sound is inaudible. The unit does stay quite warm even when not in use. This is because the unit is in constant contact with the satellite. I plan on using a X10 controller to cut power to the unit when I'm not using it. I will have a X10 controller on my coffee table to easily turn it on/off. Not only will I save a bit of electricity, it may also extend the life of this unit.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Steve,

The fact that you seem to have had an unusually loud fan AND you're unit failed, may not be coincidental. I wonder if the noise level you're hearing is on the order of the Panasonic TU-HD20B that I've borrowed. Now THAT'S a loud fan. Even with the sound level at moderate levels, you can STILL hear the fan! That together with fairly frequent digitization & momentary picture blackouts, make me wonder if they did anything with the revision from model "A" to model "B" or if this box is defective.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
I will have a X10 controller on my coffee table to easily turn it on/off. Not only will I save a bit of electricity, it may also extend the life of this unit.
Food for thought:

Actually turning things on and off is worse than leaving it on or off.

I don't know how the Sony works but it may have to redownload the guide when it's powered back up.....

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
390 Posts
I too have the HD-100, and the fan is rather loud. I tried to measure it, but it's not "that" loud http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I can hear it clearly in the room any time nothing else is on, but as soon as the volume goes up, I can't hear it any more (just another data point).

As far as the "power" issue goes, the thing is mostly powered up all the time. It is also sending power to the antenna all the time (I unplug mine before I do any cable changes to the DSS antenna). I would rather have the fan going to keep it cool (lasts longer that way) since it does stay "warm" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mine is noticable also if nothing is playing, any volume on source material and I can't hear it. I'll try to measure the DB output tonight with my SPL and see if there is a scale low enough. I agree with the above poster though, the unit is so nice otherwise that I'll live with this (to me) minor noise from the fan.

Someone posted that they would turn it off with an X-10 controller when not in use, this will work fine as far as the noise is concerned but will not allow the box to call in to DirecTV once a month to report that it's still where it's supposed to be. I had a bad phone cable on one of my boxes and DirecTV eventually called me saying that if it couldn't call them, they would have to charge full price for my second unit. Needless to say, I replaced the faulty cable.

Roger

·
Registered
857 Posts
The fan is very noisy compared to the RCA. I am sitting 10 feet from the unit and can hear it very easily. I have to get very close to the RCA to hear the fan running. With this noise and the units inability to tune to CBS HD 11.1, I doubt I will keep it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I too have the HD-100. I just got it today actually. My fan is whisper quiet. I can barely hear it at all. I keep it inside my component cabinet, so that even cuts any potential noise down even more. But even out in the open, the fan is very quiet.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I also have the HD100 and have no problems with the fan. The only time I can even hear it is when there is nothing on. Both my HD100 and my DirecTivo have fans and neither are noticeable.

Gary

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hmmm, so some think it's very quiet and some not, very subjective without having a few units to compare. At any rate, I measured mine last night with my RS SPL meters lowest scale (starts at 50db), I was able to register 50 to 51 db with the SPL meters pickup right at the back of the unit, no registration any further away than that. Still, it's very noticable if there is no source material playing (to me).

Roger

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Fan noise on my Sony is also loud but the unit is far enough away that I can live with it. I can hardly hear the fan on my DCT-100 even when I am near it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
With all the noise in my house my HD100 could have a jet engine fan and I still wouldn't hear it ! Just kidding...the fan is very quiet and I hear it when there is nothing else on--the term "whisper fan" is what it is(or should be). On any unit with this type of fan be careful not to drop the unit as the blades are very light and can bend easily, thus causing much more noise as the fan blade is now out of balance. Not much different than fans on computers, except this one appears to be smaller.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
I just got my Sony today and am extremely happy with it. No issues whatsoever, which in itself is nothing short of amazing. As far as fan noise is concerned, I'd say it's unquestionably quieter than the Panny I'm returning but somewhat noisier than the RCA. The bottom line is that it's very tolerable and with any type of program volume, you just don't hear it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Can anyone else measure the Sony's fan noise please? I'd like to get a (non subjective) comparison to my measurements.

Roger

·
Registered
731 Posts
bump...

Anyone with both a Sat HD100 and a SPL meter that can measure the fan noise?

Roger

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Got my HD100 yesterday, and the fan noise is negligible to me even with the cabinet doors open. Serial #1300's.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Not a solution for everybody but I have this fetish of cutting big holes in walls. Ask my wife. Out of all my power tools I love that SawZall the most.

Seriously I build my own low cost racks out of Melemime and mount them in the wall with oak trim. There is a closet on the other side. I keep all my fan stuff in one rack with a plexiglass door. This helps a lot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.