AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been over four months since some of the AVSForum members who own the HD-100 have removed the infamous noisy fan, do any of you have a follow-up report to share? How is your machine holding up?

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
removed fans in 4 HD-100's- added several vent holes in cover- all 4 doing fine ...except for a new problem I have encountered:

sometimes a remote command will cause the box to reset itself(I leave them on 24/7) it seems to happen when I am turning display on/after several hours unused

happens on 3 of 4 HD-100's anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I owned 1 of the first recvs. to comeout - fan was so noisy - I have a great connection with a local dealer - he let me swap for a new unti - made 9/01/2001 - the fan is 80% quieter - Sony wanted me to send my old unit in for a look at it - told me that there was no known fix - oh yeah - that why the newer units have fan mufflers ont hem right!!!!! Anyhow the newer untis are much, much more quiet - checkit out!!:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
People thinking of doing this modification should know that disconnecting the fan and cutting vent holes in the cabinet completly voids any warranty or hopes of returning the unit for exchange.

Some DSS units run very hot. The HD receivers from Mitsubshi/Hughes/Toshiba (really the same unit) for example do not have a cooling fan. If placed in an enclosed cabinet they are very prone to overheating. I have personally seen 2 Toshiba units completely fail, one with a melted (warped) access card from this situation. Both people were able to exchange them at the dealer I work through because they of course were stock units. In quite a few installations I have placed cooling fans in cabinets to help with this situation. Excessive heat can also shorten the life of the STB from years to months.

It is true the new Sony units have a very quiet cooling fan compared to the old one, but is this mod really a good idea to promote when it can turn your expensive HD-100 into a worthless doorstop?

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
neilneil

your point is well taken but I did this months ago in desparation- the warranty is only 90 days anyway. At that time there was no fix or quieter fan version- heck we were lucky to get the 1/2 hour dropout problem resolved!

I believe my HD-100's run cooler than before the mod- it is tough to measure temperatures but I made sure to make large vent holes directly over the hottest areas- I think 4 months of always on proves this mod was OK- I normally would never modify new gear in this fashion

·
Registered
28 Posts
its been 9 months with no fan and no mod's done to the case but

im going to get a replacement anyway from my delear since sony has reworked the units.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm on my second unit, both made 6/01. Returned first one because it got real hot. Second is the same. Both are much louder than my prior RCA DTC100. It's funny because before I realized how hot it got (it's mounted high in a cabinet) I tried all kinds of things to reduce the fan noise.

Now I have a digital thermometer above it and it was running 100+ degrees on and 92 degrees at idle. I then tried an assortment of fans and they cooled things down but are much louder than the internal fan.

I finally decided to drill a million holes in top of the cabinet hoping it would resolve the problem and it did reduce the temp by 10 degress but it still is 88 degress at idle and in the 90's while in use.

Can someone confirm when the fan modification was made by Sony or suggest something else for me to try? While I hate the loud fan I am now more concerned about the longivity because of the heat. Moving the unit out of the cabinet is not an option. joe

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although my Sony's cooling fan hardly bothers me, I'm very interested in exchanging it for a new and improved one. I have a 3 year extended warranty on mine and I wonder if The Good Guys will honor an exchange. Has anyone traded theirs for a new one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.