AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the real situation is with the "replacement" of the loud fans that were in the initial Sony HD-100 units?

Has anyone had their fan replaced with a quiet one?

I have seen messages in the past that indicated that Sony was working on or had a fix available for owners.

I am a registered owner, and have even called their satellite support phone number to be told that they are NOT aware of any replacement program.

They gave me the option of just sending the unit in to see if a technician may do something with it.

I am looking for some confirmation from a user in cyberspace that Sony does in fact replace the fans. I am disappointed that Sony's technical support will not take a technician off the phone long enough to ask them; all they offer is the ability to talk to a technician at a counter if you happen to live close enough to drive to one of their service centers.

PLEASE HELP?!

Thanks

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Even with a new fan, it won't solve the random dropouts. The recent fix for the hourly dropouts did nothing for the random ones. I never see these on either my Zenith or RCA HD tuners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I very rarely have any dropout problems; the fan is my only major complaint at the moment.

Do you know if Sony is replacing the fans for sure? It is the annoyance and I wish to know whether I have a rats chance of getting it replaced before I take a day off to drive the receiver to Bristol, PA.

Thanks

-M

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
My HD-100 is boxed up and waiting for a fedex pickup today. This is the second service. The first time I had a list mentioning all the problems I had. CBS lipsync, HD dropout (does not happen on my Proscan HD105!), fan noise, channel guide freezing and other channel guide issues (including APG support request)

When the unit came back Sony said the lipsync issue was a CBS problem and they would work with CBS. That was the only issue addressed.

This time I've stressed the need to address each and every issue and give me a response to each one. The fan wasn't addressed yet, I'll let you know in about a week or so.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Will,

I can't agree with you regarding the dropout problem. I watch the SAME channels at the SAME time on the Zenith HD tuner, the RCA & the Sony. ONLY the Sony displays these dropouts. It may be my unit, but I've seen too many other posts regarding this same issue with the Sony.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross:
Will,

I can't agree with you regarding the dropout problem. I watch the SAME channels at the SAME time on the Zenith HD tuner, the RCA & the Sony. ONLY the Sony displays these dropouts. It may be my unit, but I've seen too many other posts regarding this same issue with the Sony.
Ken,

I do agree with you about the complaints regarding the dropouts and I did experienced them myself. I was totally frustrated until the firmware upgrades and the local stations increasing power (I think). Complaints from the members concerning this issue also subsided. My local CBS station is the only one that has given me some heartaches because I notice that at the end of or near the end of a program the picture starts dropping out and stabilizes at the start of the next program. Perhaps it's my location, I live in Long Beach and I don't have a line of sight to Mt.Wilson.

KCET and KABC on the other hand has been steady as a rock for almost three months now.

Will

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross:
Even with a new fan, it won't solve the random dropouts. The recent fix for the hourly dropouts did nothing for the random ones. I never see these on either my Zenith or RCA HD tuners.
I own a Sony HD-100 and IMHO has the best picture and user interface in the market. Yes, there is fan noise but easily drowned out by any ambient sound in the room. I won't recommend having this receiver in a quiet room i.e. bedroom, but then again, your partner's snoring can definitely drown-out the fan noise http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Random dropouts is an issue I feel is primarily caused by the stations. I don't see it in almost all the digital stations in the L.A. area but KCBS. KCBS seems to power down a lot specially between programs and have the worst drop-outs. KABC and KCET seem to have the strongest signals with no drop-outs, KNBC has few and far between.

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.