AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just popped into my local GG store; they received a shipment of around 130 units yesterday. The salesman said approximately 100 of these are presold, so they should have 20 or 30 available for sale.

This was at their location in Corte Madera, just north of San Francisco in Marin County. I'm not certain if the 130-unit figure was for all of the stores in this area but that seems likely to me...

Ray

------------------

FIGHT THE MPAA & SUPPORT THE EFF
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for posting the info. I've been waiting for them to arrive at the San Mateo store. I guess I'll stop by tomorrow morning.

Chris

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Guys is charging $799 for the HD-100. I would assume this unit will function in OTA mode without activating a DirecTV subscription. Good luck with grabbing that signal; hope you've got a clear view of Sutro Tower...

Wonder if there's any area worse than San Francisco for OTA -- I wonder what percent of the population would even have the option of receiving a decent signal?

Wish I could but I can't, so it's DirecTV for me. Hope they up the HD channel count sometime soon...

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF

·
Registered
14 Posts
The HD100 will receive OTA signals independent of any Directv subscription. You may have to insert the access card though, havn't tried it without the card. I get All the San Francisco channels at night, even KQED, from over 100 miles away. Running RS Yagi + CM amp 10 feet off the roof. Very sensitive receiver.

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
572 Posts

Originally posted by brt3:
-- I wonder what percent of the population would even have the option of receiving a decent signal?

Sorry to hear that your OTA reception is lacking. I moved no less than 3 times last year and had no difficultly receiving all of the digitals from Mountain View, and 3 different Palo Alto locations using the flimsiest of makeshift antennas. The Stanford hills are directly in my line of sight to Sutro, BTW.

Keep trying different antenna setups - you may get lucky. CBS 29 alone is well worth the effort.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim & Curtis;

Thanks for the info. I am in Mill Valley; a major ridgeline blocks my path to the tower and creates a wicked multipath situation. To make matters worse I am at sea level. Few locations in Marin are well-suited to OTA HD reception, IMHO.

It's great to hear you get such good results, especially at such long distances. I never would have thought Grass Valley could receive San Francisco DTV stations. Does the fact that you're at elevation help to mitigate the distance/line-of-sight issues?

I am moving (within two months) to Sebastopol, which is near Santa Rosa. Must be about 60 miles (?) from the tower. My new place is on a ridge; although it's not a very big one I'm hopeful that I'll have a chance at getting some OTA HD reception.

Wish me luck...

Ray

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.