AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a list of all the problems the members here are having with the Sony HD-100.

If you can find the time to list them, (or just copy and paste) anything negative about this unit, I would be thankfull.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My only remaining problems are:

1) Fan too loud (51db).

2) No local guide info.

3) Music breaks up occasionally on the digital music channels.

Other than those issues, I really like it very much.

Roger

------------------

System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS

Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable

Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk LS/FX Surrounds

Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I second complaint number two above. I don't listen to much of the music so I can't say one way or the other about number three. And I must be one of the few people in the whole world that does NOT have a problem with the fan. It's on all the time, yes, but it's not overly loud in my opinion. Of course, my PC is in the same room and its fan drowns out the HD-100 fan....

------------------

Robert Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

[email protected]

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
no OTA guide info (it's the receiver, not the broadcasters).

try doing a digital channel re-scan. Doesn't always work.

often slow channel change / re-lock..

------------------

Regards,

Bob Davis, DOE

WCCB-Fox18/WCCB-DT27

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
Output mode toggle- no discrete IR commands to change output directly- you have to go through a toggle process

[This message has been edited by markrubin (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
My only real remaining complaint is no OTA/cable guide info; I'm concerned that nobody has heard anything from Sony on this (unlike the dropout issue, which got a lot of attention). I (literally) removed the fan noise problem!

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is no OTA DTV in my area and the local analog I just watch the local news so I'm not bothered by a lack of guide info.

The last problem on my list is the fan noise. When I'm in my media room I'm usually making noise so it is not a problem all the time.

------------------

milt

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Samsung SIR-T150 and it's programming guide does not work for the most part. Sometime PBS or WB may show something at the current time slot. Thus, I believe it may be a Broadcasters issue that will be solved in the future.

·
Registered
780 Posts
In addition:

Inability to extract Station ID from PSIP stream, everything shows up as DIGT and can't be changed manually.

PSIP channel numbers change from scan to scan, sometimes will be on the remapped channel, sometimes on the UHF channel.

Cannot properly handle multiple subchannels on the same frequency. Sometimes it continually flips between subchannels, in other cases it shows the wrong programming with the wrong subchannel.

No way to manually add a station by tuning to it, must do a scan.

Media Window doesn't show picture except for Standard def DirectTV channels. Coupled with the lack of APG, it makes the guide pretty useless for anything other than basic DirecTV.

As mentioned above, no implementation of the APG, they rely on PSIP instead which no-one is really broadcasting.

Maybe not a bug, but annoying:

No way to find out whats coming up next without changing the current channel as you surf the guide. I want to keep the video/audio for the program I'm watching while selecting what I want to watch next. In fact the whole thing is backwards, the Index function shows what else is on now and thats where I want it to change channels, the Guide is where I'm planning ahead and don't want it to change.

Tony

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My biggest issue is the low tolerance for a signal lock on distant off air stations. My SONY has trouble staying locked on any signal below 80 out of 100.

I was receiving no program guide info until this week when my local ABC affiliate began experimenting with his PSIP encoding in an attempt to get all the STB's working regardless of the brand. I now receive program title and time and an occasional description. They said they will continue tweaking with the feedback they receive from this forum. I no longer blame SONY alone for this problem.

e-mail your local chief engineer and offer to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.