AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under "tv properties," when I set the screen type to 16:9, everything gets squashed into the middle of the screen. I have a 16:9 tv, so what the heck is going on? Setting the screen type to 4:3 looks much better than setting it to 16:9, because of the "smart stretch," I guess. Am I doing something wrong? What gives?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I assume you are using the Component outputs. The HD100 does no stretching, smart or otherwise. It sounds like you have it set to Video 3 1080i output. In this mode, all 480i/4:3 material will be displayed in 4:3 with black side bars. You may want to try the Video 3 variable mode which outputs 480i material in 480i and upconverts everything else to 1080i. This lets your TV's own stretch modes kick in when viewing SD material. Note this mode is only available on the component outputs, not the VGA.

Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Chick:
I assume you are using the Component outputs. The HD100 does no stretching, smart or otherwise. It sounds like you have it set to Video 3 1080i output. In this mode, all 480i/4:3 material will be displayed in 4:3 with black side bars. You may want to try the Video 3 variable mode which outputs 480i material in 480i and upconverts everything else to 1080i. This lets your TV's own stretch modes kick in when viewing SD material. Note this mode is only available on the component outputs, not the VGA.

Tony
Thanks, Tony.

But I'm still not sure I understand.

Here's my setup. HD-100 connected via VGA to my 16:9 rear-projection TV. The tv offers two viewing modes when something is connected via VGA: "stretch" and "zoom." I use "stretch." It's a nice, gradual stretch and it looks good.

What I'm wondering is, based on your reply, should I use component connections instead? That way, I'd have more view options through my tv ("cinema," side bars." Does setting the display type under tv properties on the HD-100 alter the way the guid is displayed? Like I said, I have it on 4:3 now, and my tv is stretching it out to fit the 16:9 ratio. How would it change? And would it change the way the picture itself is displayed?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.