AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Sony box for two weeks and retuning for following reasons.

1. Will not tune to CBS 11.1, the local HD station.

2. Called Sony and got no help and no followup as promised.

3. Called and emailed engineering at Channel 11 in Dallas/Ft. Worth and got no response after a week.

4. Last night my wife walked into the media room and said "What's that noise, I never noticed it before?" Of course it was the fan in the Sony!

5. PQ on RCA DTC-100 is equal to or better than Sony on both analog and digital stations. OTA only. Not using a dish.

6. RCA is $300 less than Sony.

At least for now the RCA is "King of the Hill" at my house.

Hope others have gotten hardware that works and better support from Sony than I have. I have always liked Sony. Got a housefull of it, but they missed the mark with the Sat HD-100. Hard to belive they would take that much time and put out a product that does not work in at least three markets that I have noticed in the forum. There may be more when the distribution is widespread.

BTW the serial number was less than 300.

Good news is Crutchfield provides a free return with no questions asked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
DITTO!!

I just installed my new Sansumg. I realize it's OTA only but it is really easy to install and use and that's all I'm really looking for. Channel surfing (I know there are only 7) is almost as fast as a regular analog tuner.

I can now watch the NCAA's on CBS 11.1 and...

No FAN....and

720P output to go with my Sony 10HT

So, if anyone wants my Sony, I will be returning it to Fry's around Noon tomorrow in Arlington.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Gary, Iv'e got the Sony 10HT also, is it a good match? I'm assuming you've got the switch set for 720p on the back, right? On non 720p sources, the Samsung then scales it to 720p before sending it on to your 10HT right? Do you notice any artifacts with the Samsung doing the scaling? I'm leaning toward the Samsung but cannot find a single retailer out here that carries it so I'll pobably have to order one without ever seeing it. If you don't mind, how much did you pay and where? Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
hmcewin,

Sorry to hear your trouble with the Sony. My only "problem" is with the fan noise, which I can live with. I've had no OTA decoding problems at all. As a matter of fact, one of my cable 8VSB channels has, at times, broken into 5 sub-channels. The Sony had no problems whatsoever decoding it and yet my RCA DTC could not decode any of them. I've had the RCA for about a year and still think it's a great piece, but I really liked the idea of the APG and the much simpler manner of tuning channels (no input or antenna switching etc).

The best box to come may well be RCAs next generation tuner with the APG and, almost certainly, component outputs. We'll see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I noticed that 11.1 has been up all night. I dont know if CBS has fixed the problem for good since there were no hi def shows on tonight. I know that some areas were showing the basketball in high def but I dont think that dallas is one of those markets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dave, Yes it appears to be a good match. Not enough stick time to make a good judgement but so far so good. I set the output to 720p as you suggested and everything is scaled to that. I like simple, and this is simple. Set a couple of switches on the rear and turn it on. My other thinking is in a year or two when everything is faster, better, cheaper I will buy the new technology and still be able to use this box on another set around the house. I think the same thing about the 10HT. Great box but as soon as there is DLP with the same price point and native 16:9 available I'll buy it and move the Sony to some other room in the house. Boy my wife hates to hear me talk like that. When I bought it a year ago I told her it was only a temporary $6k solution.

I bought the box from a dealer I have used quite a bit in New Jersey. Bob at Avalon. 609 654 7752. Called on Tuesday, delivered on Friday. $699 including shipping

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Ken,

What do you know about the next generation RCA box? Are you making educated guesses, certainly an OK thing to do, or have you read something? Also, someone else wrote that revisionist history is now being done with the RCA DTC100. Here it was months and multiple calls to television stations before that unit would work with all of the digital stations. Art

[This message has been edited by Art Lloyd (edited 03-17-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.