AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this unit for my brother and decided to check it out before installing it on his system.

I couldn't get it to tune in my local HD/digital channels.

Whereas on my DTC-100 WGBY is dialed in with 58-3, when I tried 58.3 on the Sony I get "Station Not Available" message.

Can any enlighten me on how to dial in digital channels on the HD-100?

BTW, all the analog channels come in fine and I did use the auto program to scan for analog and for digital channels.

Thanks for your help.

Keith

·
Registered
527 Posts
go to menu... system .... non satellite ... auto-program...

Choose Digital

[This message has been edited by David Ortiz (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

Thanks for your reply.

However, as I indicated in the original post, I did do both the analog and digital autoprogram and got no auto detect on the digital channels off the air.

I will mention that I stuck my DTC-100 DirecTV card into the SOny and although it said something to the effect of "Please insert the correct card", it did allow me to view HD Demo channel 199 as well as the promotional channels (212,224,400,500,900 etc).

The HD-100 appeared to give an incrementally better picture on the promo channels and the OTA analog channels than DTC-100. The difference is virtually imperceptible and although the program guide is vastly superior to the DTC-100 it is no way enough to warrant an upgrade for me.

If I cannot resolve the digital tuning issue I will return the unit (I've had it for 2 days) and get one of the Hughes clones for my brother.

Thanks again for any additional help you can privide.

keith

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You might want to go into the setup, item 1, then pick antenna. Follow the steps to get to the meter for digital to see if you are getting any signals on the HD channels.

I know this is a stupid question, but you do have the antenna split with one lead going to the digital input and one going to the analog input, don't you? Please don't be insulted. I know that sometimes I can overlook the most obvious things.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Keith,

Have HD100, had DTC100. In my particular location the HD100 brings in digital better. This may vary. I am close in to the towers here. It does work.

Dave. Great picture and animation! Art

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dmbatch,

Thanks for your response.

It takes a lot to insult me when I need input http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

a)The question is not stupid to me. It is just confusing http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif .

I didn't realize you could split the inputs between analog and digital. One of the digital channels is VHF and the others are mid to high UHF. The analog channels of course, cover the ful range of VHF through UHF. I used the same RG-6 cable that I dropped to the DTC-100 Antenna B input. On the DTC-100 it automatically distinguishes between digital and analog signals. It simply covers the VHF and UHF frequency bands. Channels are 3(a), 8(a), 10-1 to 10-3 (d), 18(a), 19(a), 20(a), 22(a), 26(a), 29(a), 30(a), 33-1 to 33-2(d), 40(a), 51(a), 57(a), 58-1 to 58-3 (d), 59(a), 61(a).... all from the same input.

b) I used the antenna menu option to check out my Satellite antenna and have a good signal strength. I will now try to check out the digital signal strength.

I'll keep you posted on my findings.

Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

Keith

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The Sony uses separate inputs for analog and digital OTA. This is so it can reject overpowering analog signals near the weaker digital signals and bring in the HD channels better. If you only connected to one input, it was most likely the analog, therefor you will not get the HD channels. You can split your VHF/UHF antenna and run a lead into each input. That way you can get both A and D from the same antenna.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would suggest to hookup your uhf antenna directly to the dtv in ant of the Sony sathd1oo box. Then go to program screen and #1 non satellite. Then program all digital channels. Then if you are still missing any dtv channels go to add programming. This will add more digital channels that weren't found.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the input.

I popped the antenna input to the Sony dtv jack and ran the signal meter and did get a signal. In fact the signal strength on channel 10 peaked at 91 and hovered around 85.

However when I tuned in the channel it kept dropping the signal every minute or so. I took the cable and popped it back into the dtc-100 and voila' I had a signal strength of around 70 but the signal didn't break up once.

What gives?

I returned it to the Sony and still it was unwatchable. The dropouts are comparable to when the dtc-100 is getting a signal strength of around 35.

Anyone can offer an explanation?

I really like the Sony box but I wouldn't want to hand over a dud to my brother without checking out one of the Hughes clone boxes.

Thanks,

keith

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had a similar problem with my local ABC affiliate. I could not watch the digital broadcast because the channel would not stay tuned in.

When the Sony box scans for digital channels, it looks for PSIP data as well. If it finds the PSIP data for remapping a digital channel to its analog counterpart in the signal, then you see the remapped channel in the guide.

However, the station might not be sending the master table data frequently enough. If this is the case, two things can happen:

1) The digital channel number will appear in the guide after a scan. This is good. In effect PSIP has been turned off. The channel should lock just fine. So if you see channel 10 DIGT, then 10.1 should not give you any problems.

2) If the analog channel number (8, not 10) appears in the guide (which would indicate that the channel scan was perfectly timed to pick up the PSIP data) and the station is not broadcasting the master table data (part of PSIP) frequently enough, the box will not lock on to the signal. It will seem like a signal problem. In my case, I'd be tuned to 30.1, but would see 30.2 instead. Then it would go back to 30.1 with no rhyme or reason.

The senior engineer at my ABC affiliate bought a Sony box as well and had the same problem I did with it.

He adjusted the PSIP data to broadcast the master table much more frequently than usual.

This fixed the problem. Sony of course should provide a fix for this problem which the engineer said was in the works, according to what he found out from Sony.

I'm not sure if this problem only affects multicasting stations; I only get one digital broadcast at the moment.

DD5.1 is another long story, but that was hardware independent, at least at the consumer level.

Hope this helps,

David

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
David,

That explains why my channels remap/unremap every time I do a scan.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
david ortiz,

You are right on target. This is indeed the ABC affiliate that is having the problem.

ANy idea when the SONY solution is expected?

Also, how will it be implemented? Software download or return to factory for upgrade??

Thanks inifnitely to all for your invaluable assistance.

Keith

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I had to call Sony about the same problem with stations. My DTC-100 would get locked channels for almost all my local channels with very little problem.

The reason for my call was that my local channels 24.1 and 29.1 would have an antenna strength of >70 yet neither would come up in the channel scan.

After the scan I was missing channels. Some showed up, some didn't. Some channels with PSIP data get remapped to the "real" channel number, while others didn't.

One problem I had was that I thought that the sony box could accept a diplexed singal like many of the other new boxes. I was wrong. A diplexed signal MUST be split before connecting to the two antenna inputs on the SAT HD-100. (Another point to note, there are 3 coax connector, use the DTV input.)

Still after splitting the feed I still had the problem. Sony is unable to offer any advice other than to not diplex the signal...

I haven't had time to try the undiplexed hookup, I've got the lines I just haven't had time to change the setup. I don't think it should make that much of a difference. After all the HD-100 says I have a locked signal >70 and the box still doesn't find the station on auto-scan. And without a way to add the channel manually I can't channel up/down to these "missing" channels.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Keith,

According to the Senior Engineer at KFSN 30 in Fresno, Sony will provide a fix to be sent over the satellite.

Your ABC affiliate in the meantime can adjust the PSIP stream to eliminate the problem entirely. (Master table needs to be sent more frequently)

You might try giving them a call.

David

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Textf>

I have returned the Sony HD100 and replaced it with the Mitsubishi SRHD400.

What a difference!

Ease of use is as simple or simpler than the SONY. But the OTA channel detection is nearly flawless. It locked on to all of my channels immediately and seamlessly transitions from OTA to satellite channels like the Sony. The only issue is that WGBY (58-3) is being remapped to 80-3, however, the signal is strong, locked, and have no fluctations or dropouts.

The HD picture quality is infinitesimally better than the DTC-100 but the non-HD DirecTV channels are much better. I'm not certan why.

Does the Mits send a 480i signal on the Non-HD or what?

Anyway, out with the SONY, in with the Mitsubishi.

I know several Hd100 owners have been either waiting for Sony to provide a solution or working with their local stations to properly synchronize their PSIP signals to match the HD100. For me, changing the set top box just seemed the easiest variable.

Thanks for all the help with this topic.

Keith

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.