AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the group and would like to get some suggestions...

I have a Sony HD200 which I have connected to a Sony Wega 50" LCD via the component output. I also have a Standalone Tivo which I connected from the HD200 via the S-Video and r/l audio.

My problem is that when running the TV thru Component there is no signal via the S-Video or composite or rf out. I have to switch the format to video 1/2 (480i) to have output thru those jacks - which shuts down the Component output to the TV...

Anybody come up with a solution to this? Are there other HDTV receivers that do NOT have this (ie output 1080 thru the Component and 480i thru the s-video simultaneously?)

My other choice is to purchase a HDVR2 to replace my SA Tivo - but was hoping that I could extend the unit...

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there something that the Sony does that the Samsung does not? Which model Samsung do you have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my STB. I considered getting the Samsung T160 for exactly that feature to allow both simultaneous outputs component and Svideo to be displayed. I haven't decided if i want to return my current box for the samsung just for that reason and pay an extra $200. I'm considering trying to use a diplexer and then using my old SD STB for the Tivo and just using the HD box for the HD signals. Not sure if it will work though.

Keep me up to date if you find another solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
You can't use a diplexer to split the satellite feed. You need to run another line from the dish (2nd line from a dual LNB setup, or output from a multiswitch, or from multiswitch built into the dish; depends on what exact equipment you have.)

In the long run, selling the standalone Tivo and getting a HDVR2 is likely going to bring more satisfaction. With only a single tuner, you can't record an SD program on the Tivo while simultaneously watching a different HD program.

·
Registered
413 Posts
To watch and record using an HD200-GW2 combination, how about Component (or DVI) out from the receiver to the TV, and then Composite out from the GW2's Monitor Out to a VCR/PVR/DVD recorder. Regarding the GW2's Monitor Out, the manual reads "Lets you record the program you are watching to a VCR." This is still not ideal because you would be watching in 1080i while recording only in 480i.

Edit: Another possible watch and record option is to send video out from the receiver to a recorder, and then video out from the recorder to the TV (resolution depending upon the recorder's connectors).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just recieved my 60" GWII and i have a SAT-HD200 on order. I was considering getting sonys stand alone series 2 tivo and so I was trying to figure out how it would work... here is what I came up with: I would use the DVI to connect the sat-hd200 to the gwii. I would then use the RGB out and a RGB to S-video converter to hook the sat-hd200 to the tivo. Would this work?

If you used the composite tv out (as mentioned above), wouldn't the tv have to be on?

If you wanted to be able to watch another program while recording, then you could always just get a cheap RCA box to hook up to the tivo (probably cheaper than the converter anyway).

Can the HDVR2 record 2 programs at the same time?

Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by likemike
I just recieved my 60" GWII and i have a SAT-HD200 on order. I was considering getting sonys stand alone series 2 tivo and so I was trying to figure out how it would work... here is what I came up with: I would use the DVI to connect the sat-hd200 to the gwii. I would then use the RGB out and a RGB to S-video converter to hook the sat-hd200 to the tivo. Would this work?
I hope someone answers this question regarding simultaneous DVI and RGB output. I asked the same in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=198422

Quote:
If you used the composite tv out (as mentioned above), wouldn't the tv have to be on?
Yep, I was addressing watching (TV on) and recording at the same time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess it just depends on your receiver and whether or not it will output simultaneous through 2 different outputs. As far as I know, the Samsung is the only unit that will output S-video for 480i and Component or DvI for 1080i, 720p etc. I'm bummed that you can't split the satellite signal coming out of the wall, although i already knew it, i was just hoping there was another way. My home builder didn't have the foresight to run more than one coax RG6 line to my family room, so running a 2nd line to my TV will be less than easy. Anyone else have any suggestions. I don't really mind using a SD box for the 480i, just need to find an easier way to get the signal to that box and an independent signal to my HD STB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.