AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy one these units and wanted to see it anyone has been able to do any side by side comparisons as far as picture quality, features etc.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by twodogs
They are the SAME unit, made by LG (Goldstar Electronics)...
Not true at all. There are several differences. Do a search or look at the countless threads discussing both models to find your answers though.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Yes, but some of those features are quite different. The best part of the Sony is being able to flip through all the formats right from the remote. With the Zenith, you have to select the format from a button on front of the box. Also, the Zenith doesn't come with a DVI cable.

Having said all that, I'm getting the Zenith tomorrow because I've had two Sony's that bit the dust, each in a little under a month. It's too bad too, because I thought the PQ - SD and HD - and viewing modes were fantastic, the best I'd ever seen. I'm hoping the Zenith does the same in those categories.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I went through four Zenith DTV1080s before Zenith bought the unit back. I have had the HD-SAT520 for about two weeks now and I have not had any problems other than an occasional audio dropout on satellite HD channels and then only during initial switching. I am very pleased with the unit!

Tom

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Not true at all. There are several differences. .
Sorry, but one not having a DVI cable in the box, and one feature on the unit and not on the remote do not make them different units, they ARE the same, they have the same specs, they come from the same factory, they differ in price, and color.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Well, one is a Sony...admittedly a rebadged piece of hardware with a remote that does allow one to switch between all formats without leaving the easy chair.... and for what its worth.....more people recognize the Sony brand name than the Zenith regardless of who is actually making the box. If you can find a Sony at a good price then go for it. On the other hand who cares about a fancy shmancy Sony namebrand. Get the Zenith it cheaper.

·
Registered
506 Posts
There are functional difference for some users:

1) The remote control differences mentioned above

2) Shiny front on SAT-520 has prevented some users from using IR extenders (important if you want to place STB out of line of sight)

3) HD200's serial port supports external control (Zenith does not - important for high end home theaters).

There have been other differences discussed on the many threads. For the record, I purchased the HD200 which arrives Saturday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.