AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have some insight on what I have done and IF I have a remedy short of a repair shop please weigh in.

Yesterday I has working on cleaning up some of my cabling (RG-6) and installed a wall plate with 4 dual female jacks. Unfortunately, I had a connector pull apart as I was pushing and tugging the cables to install the plate. I had turned on my HD-200 to check the connection and had not turned if off during the process. When the connector was pulled off the wire I got a "no signal" display on the rcvr. That was no surprise, but after repairing the connection and insuring that it works by connecting it to other devices I still can't get the HD-200 to recognize it's getting a sat. signal.

Can you "burn out" or "short" a satellite antenna connection by doing this? I always turn off gear before connecting speaker wires and interconnects but have never had a problem with a coax antenna connection.

While the functionality of the unit stinks without being able to get to a satellite, I can still get the unit to tune OTA signals and will fortunately have an ability to watch the Super Bowl next week. Unless I have somehow slipped a "electronic gear" that I can resolve I guess it will be off to the shop after that.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Try a reset on your receiver, then see if you are getting any signal strength from the sat. If none, try an old D* box and see if your getting signal strength that way could see if problem is with receiver or LNB.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just assumed that if the connection does work with my DTiVo then the problem is isolated to the rcvr. I can't get ANY satellite signal on my 200 -- SD or HD. I can get SD on all of my other rcvrs. So I can't understand how it could be an LNB. Please explain.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you connect your DirecTiVo to the satellite connection that your Sony was hooked to? Or, you may also try to connect your Sony to a satellite connection that you know works.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I did both of those before I bothered you folks. It's a rcvr problem.

I guess you can screw up a unit by having a short across a coax connector. Can someone confirm that?

Really looking for someone with the same unit that might have some advice. Doesn't look like there is a system reset aside from unplugging it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If there are any reset procedures with the Sony, they duplicate the result of unplugging it. It is very possible that a short could have damaged your receiver. If you know the outlet is good, and you have reset the receiver, it does sound to me as if the unit is damaged.

:(

·
Registered
824 Posts
Alsat, you apparently you don't own an HD-200. The NVRAM reset procedure can only be commanded by depressing the panel buttons Left, Right and Select simultaneously. (this isn't in the manual)

BigHat you should try this.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Joel.

I don't know why people post responses that clearly show that they haven't read the initial post (Like "Check the cable with another rcvr." I said I did that already) or offer advice without firsthand knowledge of the equipment in question.

You were right. I resetted using your steps. Sadly, the sat. antenna section must be hosed up. However, this did allow a more complete set up than unplugging allowed and I was able to get full use of the OTA channels.

I have a HD TiVo on order. Figure that should get here around 1 Apr. Cancelled this rcvr and the HD package from D*. That will save me $30-$45 bucks . Then I'll get this one fixed after the new one arrives. Really not enough HDTV on DTV to do without the OTA (SuperBowl etc) functions until I can get both restored.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
824 Posts
One more thing to check BigHat. Some VISA cards have a double the warranty period as part of the card agreement. You need all the receipts etc. I have used this several times and saved a bunch of money.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigHat
Thanks Joel.

I don't know why people post responses that clearly show that they haven't read the initial post (Like "Check the cable with another rcvr." I said I did that already) or offer advice without firsthand knowledge of the equipment in question.

Thanks again.
I dont think you were clear enough in your original post to indicate that you hooked your SAT connection up to another SAT reciever to check it. And also I think that you should be appreciative of someone trying to help you, even if its not exactly the help you expected.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wrote:

" but after repairing the connection and insuring that it works by connecting it to other devices I still can't get the HD-200 to recognize it's getting a sat. signal."

If you don't think that's clear I don't know what to tell you.

The statement that unplugging a HD-200 equals a reset is obviously wrong. That constitutes trying to help?

I thanked the initial resonders because, despite not reading the post, I know they have good intentions. But the post clearly leading me astray with no knowledge of the product p*ssed me off. I don't think I'm too far off base here.

That said, mind your own business.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigHat
I wrote:

" but after repairing the connection and insuring that it works by connecting it to other devices I still can't get the HD-200 to recognize it's getting a sat. signal."

If you don't think that's clear I don't know what to tell you.

The statement that unplugging a HD-200 equals a reset is obviously wrong. That constitutes trying to help?

I thanked the initial resonders because, despite not reading the post, I know they have good intentions. But the post clearly leading me astray with no knowledge of the product p*ssed me off. I don't think I'm too far off base here.

That said, mind your own business.
ok

·
Registered
390 Posts
One thing worth noting here. Even when the HD-200 is off, it's still on. You have to unplug it to remove all possible chances of a problem when you remove/replace the SAT antenna line (they do things like download the guide). That being said, I'm surprised you killed the SAT input, because I thought they had "some" protection. And yes there will be those that say they do this all the time, but if you take a voltmeter to it, you will find it's still active :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
The lnb is not an issue when you tested swapping rcvrs/cables. I would like to mention that I would try the clear nvran mentioned above since I had to do that on occasion, especially with the older 1.3 software on my HD200. It can't hurt and will enure the setup is completely cleared to factory defaults. Also, voltage is always on the coax and changes to let the lnb know whether to use left/right signal when channel changing.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Graffman
Alsat, you apparently you don't own an HD-200. The NVRAM reset procedure can only be commanded by depressing the panel buttons Left, Right and Select simultaneously. (this isn't in the manual)

BigHat you should try this.
I own an HD-200 and I didn't know about this. You answered why it's not common knowledge within your post itself. It's not in the manual. So thus it's possible for 99% of HD-200 owners to use the device but not know about the super-secret reset buttons.

And BigHat, if someone trying to help, whether erroneous or not, is going to be greeted with "mind your own business" (it's a public forum! Hello!?! You made your business public to begin with!) Then good luck trying to get help again. No doubt you've gotten your comeuppance already.

Rick

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Regihat,

I did do the reset as initially suggested by Joel, It did restore the unit to the factory state. It made it possible to do an OTA unit much more cleanly but no luck with restorlng functionality to the sat connection.

Joe CS,

Good point. I NEVER dreamed there was enough voltage in a coax cable to cause a problem. Always careful with interconnects and speaker cables but neglected this consideration with coax.

Ender21,

You just don't get it I think. I posted here looking for special information NOT in the manual. I DID read the manual before posting. That's why these public forums are so wonderful. Joel offering REALLY valuable insights with his "secret" info. If this had been a software hiccup he would have saved me the hassle and expense of a service call. Prior to his post, I was led to believe, falsely, that "unplugging it" did the same thing.

My "mind your own business" remark was not to someone offering to help, even when their advice was spurious.

I think we're done with this thread. I've learned two things I'd like to share.

1. Be careful when connecting coax cables.

2. Please resist posting comments on subjects you know little about. While it may be well intentioned, it is NOT help, nor does not educate the reader base of the forum. It simply leads people astray. If you must chime in, at least caveat it by saying that "you think" or are "not sure but..."

·
Registered
824 Posts
MintakaX, my first HD200 had occasional freezes and lockups which eventually got rather frequent. It took 3 units before I got one to work reliably. Fortunately, Sony honored their warranty. NVRAM reset did not work for me, but it shouldn't hurt anything to try it. Have you asked Sony?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks Joel-- This is my second box and I haven't bothered with it since the freezes occur about only about once a month. I wouldnt care at all except the freezes wipe out the favorites list which is a pain to set up again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.