AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a problem with the DD5.1. I have the optical cable plugged in but only get sound out of the front 2 speakers in the DD5.1 mode. I had the same set up with my Hughes reciever and it worked fine so the problem has to be with the HD100. It appears I have all the settings right. Has anyone seen this problem or have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
If you're using the Toslink (optical) cable as your audio interconnect, then the problem lies in one of two places:

1) Check the "audio" menu on your HD-100 and make sure you've selected DD and *not* PCM

2) Make sure your receiver/amp/decoder is not set on some "down-convert" mode or the DSP mode is completely off. For example, I don't engage the DSP mode on my amp, then it defaults to a down-convert/2-channel mode.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same problem with my setup.

I checked the audio menu of the HD-100 and I can have DD on auto or off. It is set to auto... What is PCM?

Also, I have a Pioneer Elite 36 VSX 36TX. I have everything set to either standard or auto... Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have not seen this problem with my HD-100/Tag AV32R setup. Are you sure you are not watching a DD2.1 source?

I just upgraded by AV32R firmware since it suffered from a problem where switching between Analog and DD-based channels confused the processor and put it into Direct mode. Maybe your processor is suffering from a similar problem.

mikep

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I had assumed that since he mentioned DD5.1, that he was not getting a DD2.0 signal. However, if his processor doesn't specifically tell him that (like my Yamaha does), then everything said here can be ignored.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My receiver lights up as getting a digital source, dolby digital lights up, and all 5 speaker indicator lights come on. This was on the HBO channel. On another channel that isnt a 5.1 source, digital source, with dolby digital, with only the front 2 speaker indicator lights on. So I assume that my receiver is handling everything correctly. Only problem is, that the front 2 speakers are the only ones with audio...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to some hints from Stanton it appears that I solved the problem. I did not have a video-in (RCA) cable connected from the TV to the Amp, since I have component video from the HD100 to the TV and optical audio from from the HD100 to the amp, I figured it wasn't necessary. But apparently the amp. uses the video input signal as an indication to switch to DD5.1. Doesn't sound very intuitive but I guess thats how it works. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure what to do for my setup. I dont use an amp.

Do I need to have a connection going out of the tv into the receiver? And is this going to be a video or audio connection? Where would it go on the receiver?

Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Konn22 - My "amp" is actually an A/V receiver. From the TV I now have both the audio and video out plugged into the receiver on the TV in jacks. Of course I still have the optical audio directly from the HD 100 to the receiver and the component video from the HD100 to the TV. In addition the RCA audio/video is plugged in from the HD 100 to the TV. You should be able to go directly from the HD100 to your receiver also with the this connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.