AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of the Sony units for a song and am now waiting for my new HDTV to arrive. I have searched this forum on the Sony unit and have seen many posts on lipsync but not very many since June.

Has the problem been fixed by either CBS or by Sony?

Since I will not be using this for Direct TV (I have no line of sight to the satellites), I do not have any patches on my unit. Do I need these patches in order to fix the lipsync problems with OTA?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, you need DirecTV to get the patches, but no, the patches don't help. The lip synch problems are still there. Depending on the location, it depends which OTA channel or channels have the problem. Here in Atlanta, it's NBC (WXIA). I posted a thread today about my switching from the sony to the Toshiba. In short, the Sony sucks. Not only are there lip synch problems, but the fan in the unit is very loud. Unless the unit is free, I'd sell it or trade it in on another brand. I'm happy with the Toshiba.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
farvque: thanks for the update. Since I got this unit for only $200, I'm gonna keep it or forget about OTA HD and move to TWC HD cable. I guess I'll find out if I'm gonna have lipsync problems later in the week when my HDTV arrives. BTW, my unit is located next to my RPTV and I cannot hear the fan. I guess I may have already been lucky with regard to that problem.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by farvque
Yes, you need DirecTV to get the patches, but no, the patches don't help. The lip synch problems are still there. Depending on the location, it depends which OTA channel or channels have the problem. Here in Atlanta, it's NBC (WXIA). I posted a thread today about my switching from the sony to the Toshiba. In short, the Sony sucks. Not only are there lip synch problems, but the fan in the unit is very loud. Unless the unit is free, I'd sell it or trade it in on another brand. I'm happy with the Toshiba.
You're probably right, this unit sucks royally. I think you should go with another brand and sell or give that lousy Sony away. I'm willing to rid you of all your heartaches, I'll get that Sony off your hands. Give me your asking price, I hope it reflects your disdain to this product.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You said line of sight. Have you tired using the old Primestar dishes (the bigger the better for line of sight issues.)

The patches have correct my problems. The only sync problems I am having is with ABC w/ Darma and Greg. This problem is from ABC directly not local affiliates which they are working to get corrected.

There are several posts that have talked about networks not setting systems up correctly (timing) the video and audio portions to run correctly.

The picture on the sony is great. Yea there are some things that I don't like about it but oh well. I have tried all units and found that sony to be the best so far. For $200, I'd keep it. Heck, I'll buy it from you for $250!

Just my humble opinions...

Brian

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Brian,

I live among 60 foot trees and any dish would have to find the sat signal through those trees. I would think that a dish larger than the 18x24 dish would make me really unpopular with my neighbors as well as with my wife. Anyway, TWC HD would only cost me an additional $20 a month and includes local channels but does not include HD-Net.

Quote:
Heck, I'll buy it from you for $250!
I did buy two of the Sony units when I bought mine and sold the other unit on Ebay for $600 plus shipping within 2 hours. So, in a matter of thinking, my HD100 plus antenna plus antenna preamp were all free... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.