AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any need to hook up the hd100 using anything but the coponent out.

Will all signals DSS and HD be viewable thru the component out, It seems that the component out would produce the best picture.

LJG

·
Registered
375 Posts
Quote:
Is there any need to hook up the hd100 using anything but the coponent out.
Yes. For example, if you wanted to hook up the HD100 to a TiVo. There's no component in on the TiVo, so you'll need to go with S-Video or composite.

------------------

Mike McGee

Oakland, CA

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had the HD-100 and Directv satellite dish installed professionally yesterday. So far, all satellite video (including HD)and audio (as well as analog cable stations)are routed through the component connectors to Video 5 on the XBR. This seems to work well (except for analog cable) and I can view all programming this way. I only need to fiddle with the HD-100 menu system when I want to watch window-boxed HD material full-screen, which requires accessing the output menu and changing it to Video 3 480i.

I didn't watch the installer connect the HD-100 to the VCR, however I asked him to and was able to set up and operate the video control feature. I haven't tried to record anything yet. I'm not sure,however, what output mode the HD-100 must be in to initiate timed recording of directv programming. Can't I just leave things as they are and let the VCR/HD100 do it's thing?

Also, as a side note...I'm not sure why, but I get a crappy picture when viewing analog cable routed through the HD-100 to Video 5. This could be a connection problem. For now, I just switch inputs on the XBR to UHF/VHF to get an acceptable analog cable signal and picture. Also, the remote apparently cannot be programmed to operate the Pioneer DVL-700 DVD/Laser combi player. None of the codes worked. But it does work with the remote that came with the XBR! Go figure.....

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
That's really two separate questions:

1) If all you want is a video on your monitor, then yes, all you really need to do is HD component hookup

2) If you want to pipe the (downconverted) signal to anything else (e.g. VCR) for recording or centralized switching (via your amp), then you need to also connect the composite or S-Video signal.

A side note: most monitors link audio/video inputs. In other words, if you want to pipe audio through your monitor (like I do for my kids), you have to have the associated video feed also (I use composite on my Princeton). Since you only have 2 audio/video outs on the Sony (which actually isn't bad), you'll probably want to route one to your monitor and one to your amp ; even if you use the digital output (which I do), the VCR *still* can't handle the digital in (at least until we get to DVD recorders)!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.