AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the posts here on the HD100 I decided that is THE HD set-top-box to get. Called good guys and they said they are sold out, with 4 coming in May but 40 people on the waiting list. Then he checked again and there was one unit left! Lucky me, I told him I'll be there in 15 minutes and bought it there sight unseen.

Went home and opened the box and noticed that the box had already been opened before - probably a return. No matter, everything was still nicely packed up.

Plugged it in, can't hardly get ANY regular DirecTV channels! Did a system test and the "Signal" and "Tuning" tests fail, phone and card are okay (I called in to register the card with the new receiver). I was pretty frustrated since nothing was working.

What the heck, I took a pair of rabbit ear antennas from a VERY old TV set and I SEE HIGH-DEF!!! Saw some silly sitcom on ABC about two guys, one gay one straight. Stupid as hell, but the picture was glorious on my 92x52 Stewart screen.

Okay, so here are my problems:

1) System tests fail for "Signal" and "Tuning". When I was connecting and disconnecting the coax antenna cables there was once where I saw a BRIGHT BLUE SPARK! Maybe something shorted inside??

2) All even-numbered transponders are totally dead, 0 signal strength. Most odd numbered ones are fine. Can barely receive ANY regular DirecTV channels.

Anybody know what's going on?

For once I can't wait for Jay Leno to start...

Bryan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Odd-only transponders are usually (in order):

1.) bad cable or connector (marginal connection, bad crimp/connector, RG/59 cable, or an excessively long run of cable).

2.) Bad LNB

3.) Bad IRD/receiver

The satellite box should ALWAYS be unplugged when connecting or disconnecting anything between the box and the dish. The box puts out a + 13/18 VDC voltage, even when the power button is switched off. That's probably the source of your spark. You probably didn't hurt the box, but try unplugging the box for ten or fifteen minutes to see if it'll reset.

You can check the "SAT IN" jack with a meter, you should see a sweeping 13-18 - 13 volts DC (and the screen will show "Searching for satellite Signal."

Good Luck

Scott

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to do a reset. The manual says push Menu+Down or something like that for a reset. What exactly does a reset do?

Glad to know that the spark MIGHT not have fried anything. But I seem to recall it was after that that the system tests failed.

Anyway I'm also going to take the box back to Good Guys and try it with their satellite and see if the box itself is okay.

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Bryan,

A couple of points. First, the show you saw on ABC couldn't have been in HD since no sitcoms on ABC are in HD. Maybe you were watching CBS?

Second, did you ever have your current dish successfully hooked up to a receiver to check the integrity of the entire system. Is this just a switch of a DTV STB or an entirely new installation?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross:
Bryan,

A couple of points. First, the show you saw on ABC couldn't have been in HD since no sitcoms on ABC are in HD. Maybe you were watching CBS?

Second, did you ever have your current dish successfully hooked up to a receiver to check the integrity of the entire system. Is this just a switch of a DTV STB or an entirely new installation?
You're right - the show was "Some of My Best Friends" on CBS.

It's just a STB switch. I switched back to my old STB and everything was fine. I suspect the HD100 is broken since it fails the system tests, while my old B55 passes.

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This sucks, looks like I'm going to have to return the HD100.

I get NO SIGNAL on any of the even transponders, which means I cannot receive ANY channels other than the free info channels basically.

Worst thing is, my other DSS receiver (Sony B55) in the house works fine. And when I brought the HD100 back to the store to test it with their dish it worked fine too.

IDEAS???

Bryan

·
Registered
22 Posts
The spark you saw is the difference between ground and earth. You would think they would be the same but in my case there was a 70 volt difference. Verify that your ground block on your RG6 is solid. Also you may want to temp try it without the ground block connected (not recommended permenant just for test). Let us know if you have any luck

john

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jmurjr:
Also you may want to temp try it without the ground block connected (not recommended permenant just for test). Let us know if you have any luck
Hi John, thanks for the help - how do I try it without the ground block connected?

Bryan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just don't ground the wire from the clamp. Let it float. or use an RG6 inline splice barrell and remove the ground block.

jm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.