AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sony HD100 for my second system. It works just fine and was able to receive all of the digital and analog channels in my area. I know that I can not change the aspect ratio in 1080i mode. It is filling my screen when I am watching HDTV content. However, it is not filling my screen in other modes. The picture is being shown in the 4:3 format with grey bars on the side. I am sure this has been asked and answered before. But if you know the answer, please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
bills2k:

Whether or not you can zoom is dependent on the HD-100’s output mode. You cannot zoom 1080i or VGA modes. If you’re watching 1080i mode, 4:3 material will have side bars, which is perfectly normal. The variable 1, 2 setting enables composite and S-Video outputs. If either of these is going to your TV, you will be able to zoom.

You can also use video 3 variable, which works through component. It will automatically switch between 480i and 1080i, depending on what channel you’re watching. For example, if you’re watching HBO HD on 509 and want to watch a 4:3 program, switch to HBO SD on 501, and the HD-100 will automatically switch from 1080i to 480i. I use this set up on my plasma, and it works great. When it switches to 480i, I can zoom the 4:3 picture.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim:

Thank you so much. I will try it tonight. And here I was ready to return the unit which works great and which I got relatively inexpensively.

Sujeet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does the HD200 work the same way? In that, you can't control the aspect ratio for SD material that is upconverted to 1080i.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Deft01:

I have the HD-100 and no experience with the HD-200. I've read there are some differences between the two.

There is a huge number of threads on the HD-200 in this forum. Do some reading and you'll probably find what you want to know.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The big difference between the HD100 and HD200 is that the HD100 has no zoom or aspect ratio control at all. You need to use the variable 480/1080i mode and let your set's own controls work assuming it has them. With the HD200 you would typically have it upconvert everything to 1080i and use it's Wide, Panorama or Zoom mode. As with the HD100, you still can't adjust material that is transmitted as 1080i.

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.