AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Has anyone with his ear to the Sony beast heard anything about a fix or series of fixes for the HD100? Art

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also have the HD100 and wanted to know the same thing..latest progress, so I thought I would put it back at the top http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks in advance,

Charles

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just spoke to a fairly large direct distributor of the HD100 yesterday as I was about to place an order for one, despite the fan noise and other problems. He said don't bother. Sony has indeed stopped shipping and they are redesigning the box. Unknown if Sony will be replacing boxes already in the field, I doubt it. But if they do introduce a new unit fairly soon, I would bet if owners scream loud enough, they will replace it at no charge. I had a camcorder once that was only a few months out of warranty with problems and I complained to Sony. They sent me a brand new unit. They are reputable and generally will stand behind their product.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bump

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
I ran the DTC-100, DST3000 and HD100 side by side and the picture quality of the three was no better with the Sony then the others. The DST3000 and HD100 had identical pictures(with the exception that the HD100 has a brighter picture when the channel is not in HD and then you need to turn the TV's brightness down). This is not convenient to do. Also the DTC100 has a brighter and softer picture then the other two boxes. Of the three the RCA has nearly no problems due to upgrades they have done. The DST3000 is almost perfect, it will probably need one software upgrade. But the Sony is not a convenient box. If you have to turn the brightness up and down for the HD channels, plus if you live in certain areas you get constant drop outs from channels. They have their work cut out for them.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I find it hard to believe that Sony has stopped shipping the HD-100 in favor of a redesign. First of all, it hasn't even been out long enough to re-coup it's basic NRE costs, and I have yet to hear anyone say the "fixes" are anything more than software upgrades (save the fan, but that's easily removed)! I have found the HD-100 audio/video quality to be superior to other STB's, and I am utilizing *all* inputs: OTA, cable, and satellite.

So, the basic question of this thread remains unanswered: has anyone heard of when Sony plans a software upgrade/download?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
These kinds of posts are starting to get old: what do you mean Sony has "their work cut out for them"? This is the most "convenient" STB I have seen *first hand* and the only one with a front panel display so you actually know what channel you're on (what a concept)!

I see no problems with:

-brightness between HD and non-HD channels (in fact I saw this problem w/the Mits/Toshiba boxes)

-dropouts (I couldn't even get the Mits/Toshiba to find some channels)

-the DTC-100 is so old it can't even integrate the menus (something I think the Sony does great with all 3 inputs)

Other than the fan noise, I see nothing wrong with the Sony that a software upgrade won't fix (assuming the broadcasters start using proper settings on their encoders)? I could have fried eggs on the Mits/Tosh box, and my Sony isn't even that bad *without* the fan!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stanton:
These kinds of posts are starting to get old: what do you mean Sony has "their work cut out for them"? This is the most "convenient" STB I have seen *first hand* and the only one with a front panel display so you actually know what channel you're on (what a concept)!

I see no problems with:

-brightness between HD and non-HD channels (in fact I saw this problem w/the Mits/Toshiba boxes)

-dropouts (I couldn't even get the Mits/Toshiba to find some channels)

-the DTC-100 is so old it can't even integrate the menus (something I think the Sony does great with all 3 inputs)

Other than the fan noise, I see nothing wrong with the Sony that a software upgrade won't fix (assuming the broadcasters start using proper settings on their encoders)? I could have fried eggs on the Mits/Tosh box, and my Sony isn't even that bad *without* the fan!
They may be able to fix it with software but how do we know that for a fact. It is unacceptable that they shipped a box with such an obvious defect that it will drop dss stations on the halves consistently with out fail. Any decent user acceptance testing should of caught this problem. That problem alone should of prevented this box from shipping not to mention the long list of other problems that have been documented repeatedly in other posts. Add to this, Sony has done nothing to keep us informed on if or when the problems will be fixed. All I know is it will be a cold day in hell before Sony gets any more of my money based on this experience. I have not used the other boxes and if they are worse that the Sony that is just sad, and demonstrates the poor state of HDTV STBs market. Regardless I don't care about the other boxes I have the HD-100 and I expected Sony to produce better quality product and have better quality control and to have respect for their customer all of which I have been sadly disappointed in.

Regards,

Brian

[This message has been edited by btmoore (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Brian, I agree with you. Sony's QA program should have caught the problems before releasing this product to the general public. For those that have the boxes, wouldn't you be happier if Sony's product didn't exhibit any problems in the first place? I mean let's face it, Sony makes pretty decent products, but the bottom line is you guys that have them are kind of being defensive only because you have spent the money and may feel "stuck" with what you have (for now). I for one would not tolerate drop outs or fan noise. Nor would I be playing games with a "work around" for the drop outs, or attempting to disable or modify the fan. Instead, I would be getting my money back and getting something that doesn't have fan noise and drop outs. This isn't rocket science guys. I would be a little upset if I spent almost a grand for something that was less than perfect. At a minimum they should make good on the "known" problems and fix them. I don't recall seeing any posts from anybody that can confirm Sony will correct the problems, at their cost. However, I made mention in another HD100 post of a problem I had with a Sony camcorder that Sony actually replaced, out of warranty due to my complaints. I had to file a complaint with the state dept. of consumer affairs, but the end result was I got a new product that works properly. Don't think because you've spent the money you should live with the problems - take action, unless you can accept the problems and live with them. The posts on the product are getting a bit old. We all know and agree (in principal) that the HD100 has some problems, regardless how some may quantify the problems. Those that have already purchased the units should stay on top of Sony to correct the problems, particularly the fan noise and drop outs - unless it doesn't bother you then don't bother calling Sony. I know there are other documented problems, but these two seem to be the most complaints. Hey, just another opinion.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Here is a message that I recently sent to Sony:

I have reported problems with this product to your service center since early April (event # E-11831496). I have had absolutely no help in getting the problems fixed or in obtaining a replacement. The HD-100 has a number

of known problems which I am told your engineers know about. I receive no indication from your representatives how or when these problems will be resolved. I am concerned about a possible dangerous situation, from reading

the many messages on the internet from people that have these boxes. One of the problems reported with the HD-100 is the fan noise. Some people have taken the problem into their own hands by modifying the fan themselves which could cause danger to themselves or pose a fire hazard. Another problem with the box "locking up" during video dropouts causes the owner to sometimes disconnect the box from the power source for a minute or two. I am concerned that one of my children will try to do this which puts them in

jeopardy of electrocution. These boxes need to be recalled immediately and replaced with ones that will work properly. I have waited patiently for over a month for resolution but have heard nothing. I feel that I must soon turn this matter over to the Maryland Attorney General - Consumer Division for their investigation and possible

intervention for Sony HD-100 owners in the state of Maryland. Can you please tell me what is or will be done to get this product replaced? This has been very uncharacteristic for Sony. I have many of your electronic

products and have kept coming back because they were great. This has really had a profound effect on my feeling about current/future Sony products.

Thank you.

Here is Sony's response:

Thank you for contacting SONY.

You may purchase many items directly from Sony by visiting the Sony Style

on-line store at the following website:
http://www.sonystyle.com/home.undefined.html

You may also purchase manuals, parts, and accessories directly online from

the Sony Direct Accessory and Parts Center at the following URL:

If not available at either Sony Style or the Direct Accessory and Parts

Center, Sony authorized online dealers are listed at the following URL:

Also, following are our authorized mailorder dealers:

You may obtain the location of your nearest Sony Authorized Dealer on our website at the following URL: If you need information on a particular product: Please follow this path.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group

Customer Information Services Center

CCKA

This is typical of the whole Sony experience.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Here's the reply I received yesterday...

Thank you for contacting SONY.

Sony Product Repair Information:

You may visit the following URL for Sony warranty information:

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/warranty.shtml

Sony does not have repair support available on-line and is unable to

diagnose the problem with your unit. We recommend that you have it

evaluated/repaired at a Sony Factory Service Center or Sony Authorized

Service Center.

The location of the nearest Sony Factory Service Center or Authorized

Service Center is available at the following URL:

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/service/

You may look up the status of your work order at a Sony Factory Service

Center at the following URL:

http://www.sel.sony.com:8889/service...repair.inquiry

SONY FACTORY SERVICE CENTERS operate under a Flat Rate Program and charge

a flat rate for parts and labor. Products must qualify for flat rate. To

obtain the flat rate, you must call the Customer Information Services

Center at 800-282-2848. Following is the Flat Rate Disclaimer:

"Flat Rate Program excludes Non-Consumer Products,Picture Tube or

Projection TV Tubes, any condition resulting from physical abuse or misuse,

excessive wear, units over seven (7) years from last market date, or damage

resulting from prior service. Shipping charges and state and local taxes

are not included."

Flat rate repairs have a ninety day service warranty.

If you ship a product to the Sony Factory Service Center, include a note

with your name, shipping address, daytime phone number and a detailed

description of the problem.

If your unit is over 7 years old or does not automatically qualify for the

flat rate due to physical damage, the minimum charge will be the flat

rate. Payment is expected before the unit is evaluated. To obtain the

flat rate charge, you must call the Customer Information Services Center at

800-282-2848. The Service Center will contact you and advise if it is

repairable and provide an estimate. You may accept or reject the estimate.

If you refuse the estimate, a $25 dollar evaluation fee and return shipping

will be charged. The balance of the payment will be returned to you.

Sony Factory Service Centers are designed to provide repair service to our

customers and are not staffed to accept incoming calls. For questions

regarding the flat rate, directions to the facility, hours of operation,

etc., you may call our Customer Information and Services Center and speak

with a representative. Following is the phone number and hours of

operation:

Sony Customer Information and Services Center

1-800-282-2848

Eastern Standard Time

Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Saturday & Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.

SONY AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTERS are independently owned and operated repair

centers that are authorized to repair Sony units. Their technicians are

trained by Sony. A Sony Technical Representative is assigned to each

Authorized Service Center. Sony Authorized Service Centers establish their

own pricing policies.

Service manuals (which contain the schematics), instruction manuals, parts,

and accessories are available for purchase by contacting the following:

Sony Direct Accessory and Parts Center

8281 NW 107th Terrace

Kansas City, MO 64153

1-800-488-7669

They will be able to give you availability, pricing and shipping

information.

The answers to many customer questions may be found at:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/custserv.shtml

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group

Customer Information Services Center

CU82

·
Registered
292 Posts
SONY products may not be perfect but I tend to be somewhat forgiving, for three reasons. First, they typically strike an excellent compromise between performance and usability. For example, studio monitors may exceed SONY performance but SONY features are usually very well thought out.

Second, they really do stand behind their products. They are a large enough company to have the resources to support all but the most catastrophic product recall. Their manufacturer's warranty really means something.

Third, they really seem to be supporting HD. Usually they wait for technology to mature, it seems to me, yet with HD they introduced new products quite quickly. So I guess I appreciate that. For these reasons and their quality you do end up paying a bit more.

Final comment, they have in the past pulled their product off the shelf if they are not satisfied. Maybe that is what is happening here (?).

Last and final comment, I have no connection whatsoever with Sony, other than owning the TV.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Mike,

I'm surprised by your comment about Sony being committed to HD. If anything (and I've always been a big Sony fan until recently), they are trailing the competition big time. To me it looks like they're sitting on their hands in the HD arena. Here's the foremost direct view TV company with only one direct-view offering....and that unit is approaching THREE years old. The competition has passed them by. Their offerings in other areas of HD have paled by comparison to the competition.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Corey K:
It is a free country and we can buy any brand we like. There should be nobody complaining. If you didnt like it you should have returned it. Its that simple. There is not one STB out there that will fullfill 100% of everyones expectations and needs.

Corey
Wrong, we can complain all we want, it is a free country as you say. By complaining about the problems we are experiencing, we have confirmed a collection of defects with this product, learned about work arounds that others have found, built a list of case numbers that others could use to reference when sony claimed that no one has reported a problem, and confirmed that sony is one sad example of a company when it comes to customer care. You may not want to hear about peoples problems with this box but others do. If it bothers you so much, for your own peace of mind just don't read postings regarding hd100 defects. I am sure no one will complain about you not reading the topic posts. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

If you want to experience the dropouts dial in to a OTR station then switch to 509 and wait for the top or bottom of an hour.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I feel Brian hit it on the head. My guess is that if you are not having any problems, you may only be using the box to view standard Directv programs. I don't have any problems either (not even with the fan) if I watch regular Directv 24X7. However, I do like to watch HD programs. That is why I spent the money for the pioneer elite, a top of the line DVD player and sound system and, oh yeah, the Sony HD-100. I didn't return the box because of what I felt was positive enough feed back that the problems were fixable and would be coming soon. I also believe that the box has a lot of good things going for it. I also believe if you put good, sound, continuous pressure in the right places, you can get things done. My background is consumer electronics and I know what moves those products that are having problems, especially in the area of SAFETY, to "work-around-the-clock" get it fixed status.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hopefully the following information will help settle the rumor(s) regarding the HD100.

I just visited my local Good Guys where they have had the HD100 on display the last two times I was there (within the last 2 weeks). They weren't just sold out, the identification tag was gone and a hughes box is sitting where the HD100 was sitting. I asked the sales guy what happened to the HD100 and he just kind of said "we're not selling it any longer". Hmm, wonder why.. very interesting...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just did a quick check of the on-line stores, Crutchfield, One call and a couple of others and they all show "Out of Stock". Strange since there was supposed to be a good supply out there.

Tony

·
Registered
961 Posts
I wish someone would get to the bottom of this...if Sony has stopped selling the box, I think I'd like a replacement when an improved box is available. Art

·
Registered
122 Posts
Called Sony today and they didn't say or know anything about the shipments being held. In terms of progress they gave me the same old "our techs are aware of the problems and are working on a fix". I called the good guys here in Studio City, Ca. I was told they have them in stock and ARE still selling them. I am confused... I urge everyone that is still having problems with this box to bombard Sony with calls again. Hopefully we can get some accurate info....

·
Registered
355 Posts

Since the warranty period(90 days) is running out, I've sent the unit back to SONY for repair/upgrade/whatever. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. I've attached the letter I sent

with the unit:

May 21, 2001

I am sending you my Sony SAT HD100 (serial# 0001112//purchased on 3/8/01) for repair as instructed by Charles Robinson of your Fort Meyers, Florida office. Please refer to the following event/reference/incident numbers: # E11700355 and # E11722166.

The following problems have occurred:

1. There are video and audio dropouts on the half hour and hour which occur on a consistent and constant basis. This happens with more frequency when I have switched from an Over the Air High Definition signal back to a regular satellite broadcast signal. This problem has been reported numerous times by me and by other users at www.avsforum.com. I understand that you are well aware of this major problem and it was suggested to me by your representative to send this unit back to you for repair of this anomaly.

2. There is a constant and very loud and disturbing fan noise coming from this unit. In a quiet or noisy environment this fan noise tends to drown out the audio portion of the programming. It also is a consistent and constant problem and has ruined my family’s enjoyment of many television programs. The loud sound has also caused sleepless nights as this unit is in my bedroom.

3. On nine (9) occasions the unit has frozen and the power switch would not shut the unit off/on. I have had to unplug the unit to unfreeze the screen and restart the unit. This is a very dangerous situation as I have young children who might attempt to do the same thing at risk to their life because of the possibility of electrocution from this procedure.

I have been a Sony customer for many, many years and would like to continue to purchase your products. But the lack of information, communication and candidness leads me to believe that a Sony consumer is not being well served by your company. Please prove me wrong.

I do hope that you quickly remedy my problems with this unit and list what was done to repair this satellite receiver.

Sincerely,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.