AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the news we all have been waiting for. I just received a call from the lead technician at the Wetwood, MA Sony repair facility concerning the repair of my HD100 (which I sent to them on May 22)and here is what I was told:

1. There is(will be) a download patch via DirecTV for the video/audio dropout problem. Sony has worked on this patch for the past few months and it should correct this particular problem.

2. To check if your box has received the patch do the following:

a. Press EXIT, 2 times; Press #7, 4 times; Press #3, 1 time; Press EXIT, 1 time...you should then see “Patch # 953†on the screen. If you see this number then your box has received the patch. Then Press EXIT and you should go back to the regular screens (if not , power down the unit and restart).

3. The fan(loud noise problem)...Sony is working on a replacement fan which “will†be available to all users of the HD100. How they will accomplish the replacement was not told to me. They did replace my fan, but apparently not with this new unit. My advice would be to make sure that you have sent in your warranty card so that they have you as a registered user.

4. Lip sync problems(5.1 sound)...they seem to need more information on this, such as channels, times, etc. I told them that my older A50 still experiences these problems from time to time. It seems to be a problem from one OTA channel to the next and at DirecTV with their signal output. They are working on this. My advice is to call Sony and report this lip sync problem in great detail and make sure you get an “event†number.

5. Complete freeze of your box(power button won’t work, etc.)...this seems to be a problem from †a non standard HD signal being broadcast from a stationâ€. They could not duplicate this problem on my box.

6. What they did to my unit which I do not have yet(they are shipping it “next day airâ€, so I should have it Saturday): they had my unit running constantly for the past 1 1/2 weeks and tested it as thoroughly as possible; they replaced the fan, which obviously IS a hardware problem; ran all sorts of tests(about 1% of these boxes have been returned for repair); the box is now “up to specs†and the software download was scheduled to begin May 30--there are some posts here that indicate that the dropout problem is gone--please let us all know by seeing if you got the 953 patch.

7. The technician that called me was very helpful and very professional and asked me to call him back as soon as I have tested my box. I will be writing a letter to Sony complimenting him for his wonderful attitude and help. He told me that they do read this forum and I asked him to continually monitor our forum in the next few weeks as this patch goes out.

**Sorry this post is so long, but I had promised to report back to you on my repair experience. I’ll let you know the actual results as soon as I get my box back and can test it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is good news! I checked and the only patches I have are 256,1543 and 2049. I guess it might take a few days to get the update. Thanks for the info. Great job!

------------------

SAT-HD100 KP-61HS10 STR-V444ES DVP-S9000ES

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have the same patches. I assume that all Sony owners should get each patch when available, regardless of whether they have called in to complain, etc.

Anybody have #953?

(Although I will admit the little code you provided is pretty cool. I was wondering how we would know what software downloads we received.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
No patch for me yet. When are they sending the patch down??

------------------

CC

·
Registered
731 Posts
This is good news. I will check my patch version tonight.

Do you have a SPL meter so you can measure the new fan's DB level? The lowest measured level so far is 51db.

Roger

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sony tech said that the patch(953) was to be downloaded starting on May 30, but he did not tell me how DirecTV would do this. This leads me to believe that it could take a few days(weeks???). But at least we all now know what to look for and how to look for it.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Am I the only one that does not experience the A/V dropouts? I have had the HD100 for a couple of months without any problems except the fan. Lucky me I guess.

------------------

Joe C
MY HT/Gameroom

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
I have not received patch 953 yet but this is really

good news- I registered my 4 units today when I heard of the fix-perhaps my

faith in Sony will be restored!

I think this Forum had a lot to do with expediting this

fix-Thanks to all!

·
Registered
468 Posts
The real questions is finding someone who has a SAT-HD100 who hasn't hooked it up yet to DirecTV so we could see what patches the box was actually shipped with. With the three patches listed, I am wondering if those have been downloaded by DirecTV (for Sony) since I hooked up my box.

[This message has been edited by Scott MS (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Direct TV will download patch 953. Rep told me that you have to notify Direct TV and let them anotate on their pull down menu that you have SAT-HD100 instead of other category. I just called mine in and I am hoping to get patch right away. I will let you know. It is now in their data base.

[This message has been edited by jaye fayed (edited 06-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jaye fayed (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No 953 patch for me yet. I will call and make sure they have my STB recorded as the HD-100.

Just had the 1/2 hour drop at 4:00 pm.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
I just spoke with Directv-they do not get involved in the

download- they say Sony handles it.

However I had them correct my records; all 4 HD-100's

were listed as model unknown.

I assume Sony (or whoever) will send the download for

a few days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Something recent has also corrected the signal loss problem with OTA WBZ-DT in Boston (4.1) - all of a sudden, no more drop-outs every 15-20 seconds or so!!!

My HD100 doesn't have the 953 patch, but it has the others. Perhaps one of them fixed this?

In any event, this is GREAT NEWS!

Not to get ahead of myself, but next I'd like to see "DIGT" replaced with the true call letters, and Guide info for the -DT stations (like my Hughes supplies).

Thanks, Sony - things are lookin' UP!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by SANdood (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do not have the 953 patch, but have 256, 1543, and 2049. My hour and half hour dropout problems do not happen any more - so does one of these fix this? Also the patches have an offset address, could someone with the 953 post this offset address?

On another note, use the same exit, exit 77773 exit sequence with 77774 and you will get a page that shows software download, but mine is empty.

Use 77772 and you will get transponder info, 77776 and get market info (whatever that is) and 77771 and get channel info. Some interesting screens. I wonder if there are other codes to see other good stuff? I could not get 77775 and 77778 or 77779 to do anything.

Let us know if anyone finds any other codes. I guess I will call Directv now and make sure they have my unit listed correctly.

Warren

·
Registered
130 Posts
well, as possibly the only person who doesn't have his HD-100 hooked into a dish I can safely say that the unit ships with, are you ready for this?

NO patches.

Of course, if you notice the patch list, does say *downloaded* patches...

I do wonder how us non DTV people can get the patch. (if we need it)

Ben

·
Registered
739 Posts
RZ, thanks for report. I have same patches as Grizz. No 953 yet. I find it interesting that my 5.3 local breakup problem was fixed but apparently not by SONY. (for the moment) However, I could be wrong as I do not know what the patches that are listed are for and when they were activated. Oh well, soon all will be well..

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
I have not seen a dropout since reports of a fix earlier today

[This message has been edited by markrubin (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I called Directv this morning and indeed they did not have the box listed as HD100. The young lady corrected the information including the type of dish I had (from round to oval). At that point I had to tell her that the dish is not tuned to 119 yet, only 101. I asked if that would make a difference in getting the update but she didn't know. She did make note of the fact though. She seemed to know about the Sony update. I have not checked the box yet. Doing that next.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To possibly answer a few questions, again according to the Sony rep:

Sony "sends" the patch to DirecTV. They themselves do not download the fix, nor do I think that they have the capability to do that.

The "953" patch is supposed to fix the dropout problem. The other patches I have no idea what they do.

My unit should arrive back today-I'll report further on the fixes they did. BTW--How come they didn't "load" the patch directly to my box since they had it right there ??

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.