AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem isn't real bad, but is a minor annoyance for sure.

I picked up a Sony HD100 received the other day, and it's connected to my Elite PRO-720HD via component inputs.

Anyway on most things I watch all seems fine, even HDnet (199) is fine, but if I watch HBO-HD (509) the image will just drop out for a couple seconds every now and then. I don't see this on anything but HBO-HD, and only the video drops, the audio (Dolby Digital) is perfect.

Has anyone else seen this with the HD100, and if so has anyone come up with a solution??

-HDL

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome to our world :mad: The HD-100 has had a glorious history of dropouts. Just be glad you didn't have it with the hourly dropouts (very long). HBO-HD does drop out for me (and I suspect all HD-100 users). This along with too strict PSIP, fair lip sync issues and inability to correctly interface via VGA with the pioneer have made it an infamous best of the worst :) All you can do is pester Sony customer support and hope they eventually have another software upgrade...

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I have been using a Sony for about 6 weeks.

I see dropouts here and there tuning ch-199 satB

I also have a RCA and same thing.

To date I have not had a single lip-sync issue.

The lip sync isue is a wide spread problem to my undestanding and if sony is worst than others is something I yet to see. Perhaps I will see it and it is a matter of time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe C5
Welcome to our world :mad: The HD-100 has had a glorious history of dropouts. Just be glad you didn't have it with the hourly dropouts (very long). HBO-HD does drop out for me (and I suspect all HD-100 users). This along with too strict PSIP, fair lip sync issues and inability to correctly interface via VGA with the pioneer have made it an infamous best of the worst :) All you can do is pester Sony customer support and hope they eventually have another software upgrade...
Wow, is the Sony really that bad.. :(

I just picked it up as it seemed fairly nice, the local high-end store said they felt it was the best HD tuner they had to offer, and well I thought it was nice it had a display on the front.

As I have the Elite 720HD, is there any tuner that is a much better match for it?? As I just bought the Sony, I suspect I can return it if needed for the next 30 days..

-HDL

·
Registered
33,480 Posts
CyberDude,

Yes, the Sony is a DOG. We hear it barking at night...or is that the fan that NEVER shuts off! This was my worst HD purchase without question. The unit does have the infamous droputs on HBO HD, it does have absurd lip synch issues on OTA HD, it take forever to acquire the channel guide (and sometimes the guide disappears as you stare at it!), it takes forever to acquire the guide if you advance more than about 2 hours ahead, etc. etc.

I just got the Zenith HD STB which I feel is FAR superior to the Sony. No dropouts, no lip synch, better picture, very quick guide, instantaneous channel info, no fan noise whatsoever. Unfortunately mine has a bad signal meter on Satellite B, so I'm swapping the unit out. However, IMO, this is the best STB out there, and I've tried them all.

·
Registered
716 Posts
CyberDude

Everything Ken said. The Channel guids are so slow it feels like it must be retrieving them from another galaxy....

To be honest, I don't think the picture is that bad, though not as good to my eye as my DTC100 (I need to check out the Zenith)). The dropouts are very annoying and sporadic (used to be hourly).

Since they're dumping the HD100 line, don't expect Sony to provide a fix for this high cost piece of betaware anytime soon. If you can get one below $300, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just got one from Tweeter for $749, but well from the looks of it, I suspect I should be taking it back during my 30 day window and getting a refund on my money.

I wish someone in this area had the Zenith 1080, but I haven't seen it show up anyplace as of yet.

Oh well, I think the Sony was the best looking (externally) ATSC tuner, as I liked the nice display on the front of the unit. So much for looks meaning anything.. :)

-HDL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.