AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search here before deciding to post.

I have a Sony HD100 D-TV/OTA recevier. I finally (after a year) deceided to mess with the HD part of things. The reason I have waited so long is that the HD is in the family room and many people in my family use this set, so it needs to be as easy to use. The fact that you have to use 2 remotes already has my wife in a tizzy. Nuff said there...

So, I was able to set up the D-TV side of the HD, although all I can really view in HD is HBO HD on 509. How can I tell when something is in HD? I was wathing Sopranos tonight and it really did not look any different than 501. Sure it was brighter and crisper, but...was it HD???

I am looking to get locals OTA, but the documentation in the manual is lacking to say the least. I still have yet to decide what type of antennea I plan to use, but it needs to fit in the attic and/or be indoor. Any suggestions?

I hooked up some basic rabbit ears to the digital uhf/vhf coax input and ran the auto find channel, and it seemed to find the digital ones in the area. One of the towers is 2-3 miles away. Now comes the part where I feel really stupid...how the heck do I view the channels. I am clueless here. I tried everything, but like I said...the manual is lacking.

I figured the rabbit ears could snag a decent enough signal seeing as the tower is so close.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jeff,

1st things first. What type of TV do you own? 4X3 or 16X9? And how do you have your HD 100 hooked into it? I've owned the HD100 with a 4X3 XBR for a few years but recently jumped to the new SOny HD200 and a 16X9 set.

The answer to your first question is YES. The Sopranos on 509 is HD. The SOny remote has an output switch under the panel that allows you to switch output modes on the receiver. When you are watching regular 480i material, keep it on 480i, however, when you watch 509 (HD content) push the output button until it reads 1080i on the screen. Depending on what type of TV you have will determine the outcome from here.

As for local channels, you should plug your antenna directly into the Sony HD100. Based on your post, I assumed you had it going into the TV. I believe it says DIGITAL INPUT (or antenna input) on the back of the HD100. Once this is done, go to the Direct TV menu and look for the ANTENNA selection. Once you are in this area, you need to run a rescan of channels, This will automatically grab the local channels that you are capable of receiving and enter them into the Direct TV channel guide. FOr example, channel X will be Direct TV (ABC) and X.1 will be Digital TV (ABC).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cabber

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Sony KV-36HS20 (4x3), with my HD100 hooked up to Video 5 using the red/blue/green cables.

I did use the OUTPUT SELECT and I think I had it on variable. The picture was much crisper, but I guess I expected more.

The local thing has me stumped. Like I said...all I hooked up was a set of rabbit ears, and it was plugged into the UHF/VHF digital IN. I did a scan of the channels, and it seemed to find EVERYTHING...every number was listed. I thought that might not be good, but it appeared that it recognized the digital stations in my area also. So I thought I might be on to something.

I have no clue how to VIEW an OTA station thru the HD100. Maybe I have set myself up to fail by not having a real antenna.

I have been doing some searching here and since I can't (or want) to put a big spiderweb up on my house, I have been looking at the Zenith Silver Sensor. Anyone using this in the area????

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
576 Posts
May be a mapping issue on your OTA. I use the HD-100, my local ABC broadcasts over channel 14 (digital) but is mapped to channel 19.1 by the station. Therefore I manually have to enter "19.1" thru the remote to view.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the channel guide you will see your locals via DTV. If you don't subscribe to the local channels disable them. They seem to take precedence over the OTA stations that come in the antenna. After you do that enter a low channel number like 2 and see what is in the guide. You OTA stations should be there. Digital stations should be self evident and can be selected via the guide.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djjefft
Cabber

I did a scan of the channels, and it seemed to find EVERYTHING...every number was listed. I thought that might not be good, but it appeared that it recognized the digital stations in my area also.

Jeff
I also have an HD-100, and you are almost there...

After you have scanned for the local channels, and you see "everything" use the arrow keys on the remote to select the digital OTA stations that you want, and un--check the ones that you don't want, and then go into the guide, and thoes stations should be there. You can either select the station from the guide, or enter the number directly, and don't forget to enter the "." (11.1)

The HD-100 will not, however, show you the program information, nor will it give you a picture in the "media window" which is to bad because every other HD unit will !!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The Sopranos is a film-based program and will not look as good as HD-video material, like that shown on HDNet, PBS or live HD programming (like Jay Leno, sports, etc.).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.

I probably COULD have watched them yesterday, but did not know where to find them. They are actually BELOW my Locals via D-TV (but you guys know that). Man, the documentation in the manual is weak.

I was able to get a few local stations with the rabbit ears...now I just need to figure out what type of antenna to get.

Thanks again...

Jeff

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jeff,

Well done my friend. Believe me when I say that I have been there....and back. As far as the antenna goes. Check out this website for appropriate mounting position. You may already know the direction but this will help you out.

www.antennaweb.org

Also, check out Titantv.com for a listing of your available local digital broadcast. Let us know if you need further assistance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again Cabber:

Seems everything I need falls in the yellow area. I was thinking of trying the Zenith Silver Sensor and see how that works.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.