AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good recommendation on a good amp to use with a Sony HD200 and Silver Sensor antenna? I'm looking to increase the # of stations that I get - hopefully some NYC stations. I currently get all of the Philly stations fairly well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know a lot of folks on this board bash the Terk55, but I have it hooked up to my HD200 and it does a great job of pulling in the Boston locals for me. I live about 50 miles from Boston...

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Silver Sensor is directional. If you have it aimed to maximize the NY stations' signal, it won't be doing a good job on the Philly stations (assuming their transmisssion towers are not between you and NYC).

Consider either an omnidirectional UHF antenna, which might need an amp with it, or a second Silver Sensor aimed at the Philly stations and spliced into your antenna cable with a "splitter" box.

As an experiment, you can find out if you can pull in the Philly stations with a Silver Sensor by reaiming the SS you have now toward the Philly stations' transmitters and look at your signal strength.

You can get the compass bearings and the relative strength of the stations from your home by consulting the website of the Antennaweb Organization

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used a silver sensor combined with an RS Signal Amplifier 15-1109 (~$70) to pick up a distant station in Pittsburgh until I could get a good external CM antenna mounted for my HD200. I tried their cheaper version In Line amp (~$30) but it didn't work as well. Before that I had an external terk uhf/vhf that wouldn't pick up that station, as well as had tried the terk 55 mentioned above. For me, both of the terks were POS. The 55 worked best when I had the terk supplied amp connected to their coax cable - without connecting it to the 55!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.