AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the Sony HD200 and the SAT520 really the same STB? I'm ready to purchase one, but I can't find a HD200 ANYWHERE!!!! Why not get the SAT520? it's in stock AND cheaper!?!?!?

Thanks - Bill :confused:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The Sony comes with a DVI cable. My experience with the Zenith's DTV1080 support leaves much to be desired.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK... Newbie here... What do you mean by the 1080 support? If the two are actually the same does the HD200 have the same issues?

Bill

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
While I do not have either unit, here is my understanding of the differences, based on posts on this forum:

1) DVI cable included w/Sony HD200

2) Sony indicates that the HD200 may be control-ed via the RS-232 serial port. No similar indication from Zenith regarding the SAT-520. If someone can confirm (or prove false) that indeed the SAT-520 responds to the same commands via the RS-232 as does the HD200, that would valuable information.

3) Sony HD200 remote includes format button enabling cycling through all the output display formats. According to this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...44#post1566744

"With the 520's remote you can only switch back and forth from 480i to whatever format (1080i, 720p, 480p, etc.) that you have pre-selected using the front panel control on the box. " I am not sure this really matters if one is to use only a single HD mode.

4) Flip cover on remote.

5) MSRP is $7990.95 for the Sony HD200 and $699.95 for the Zenith SAT-520. Actually all that really matters is the price you pay, so this comparison really depends on the actually supply/demand situation for each of the units at the time of the decision. Also, other factors including proximity to a brick & mortar dealer or availability via mail order.

6) 2 remote ID possibilities for the Sony HD200 and one for the Zenith SAT-520.

If anyone can elaborate on these and perhaps other issues, then great. For example;

a) Are the RS-232 codes the same?

b) Are the IR remote codes the same?

c) Any difference in remote firmware download? i.e. will there be different releases of the FW for each unit, or will a new FW release be flagged for both brands?

d) Feedback on customer support??

Tom

·
Registered
82 Posts
I need help. I have a new Sony HD-200 and a new Dennon 5803 amp. Do I connect the DVI cable that came with the HD-200 to the Dennon? Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I need help. I have a new Sony HD-200 and a new Dennon 5803 amp. Do I connect the DVI cable that came with the HD-200 to the Dennon? Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jaye fayed
The DVI (Digital Video Interface) cable should be connected to your display device. You would use an optical audio cable to connect the HD200 to your Denon to get the 5.1 audio.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaye fayed
Why doesn't the HD-200 take the HU cards?
To discourage piracy. The HU card is not as secure as the newer P4 required by the newer receivers.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Anyone have an answer as to whether the Zenith and the Sony both respond to the same RS-232 command codes?

·
Registered
506 Posts
The HD200 RS-232 command codes have been confirmed as they are posted on other threads. There has been speculation that Sony finalized the serial port implementation with LG (manufacturer) independent of Zenith as Zenith has not confirmed any RS-232 software implementation (from reading all these threads - hopefully somone can provide the Zenith implemenation if this is incorrect). Alternatively, anyone with a SAT520 could try the Sony codes and put the issue to rest (I purchased the HD200 which arrives Friday).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffmcclan
The HD200 RS-232 command codes have been confirmed as they are posted on other threads. There has been speculation that Sony finalized the serial port implementation with LG (manufacturer) independent of Zenith as Zenith has not confirmed any RS-232 software implementation (from reading all these threads - hopefully somone can provide the Zenith implemenation if this is incorrect). Alternatively, anyone with a SAT520 could try the Sony codes and put the issue to rest (I purchased the HD200 which arrives Friday).
Given that LG owns Zenith, that would seem a little odd. Not impossible, but odd (and unlikely, I think, unless some added expense is involved).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can someone point me to the Sony HD200 serial commands, where are they posted? I would like to try them on my sat520

Thankx in advance.

Jmayes

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jeffmcclan

·
Registered
506 Posts
See the thread titled "Secret, Undocumented feature of HD200" - Oct. 27

You can do a forum search for "HD200 RS232 Command" to find the thread as I did. I recall that the serial commands exist in other threads as well (some that point to Yahoo groups).

I'll be interested to hear the results on the SAT520.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Will I finally got all my ducks in a row and got the blasted thing to change channels, I will continue to test all codes and hack at new ones and post the results.

Hurtles,

Thankx for the heads up on the search, I searched last night until I was blue in the face and got nothing (and using the same search expression you gave me)

This morning I found the option to do a longer search and finally I got the codes!

Next, all my (Dos) tools only let me go to 19.2k the 57.6k requirement really throws some curves there. I would like to find a way to configure the port to be a more reasonable 9600 (any takers there?)

At-least now I can proceed in the automation part of this install, if it had not responded to the codes I was going to take it back and get the Sony.

Stay tuned...

Jmayes

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, I have tested all avl. serial codes, tried all other combinations of this code set and have found several more that do not seem to be doc'd yet. Here is my list, please post/email if anyone finds more!!!

Goodluck all and Happy New Year to all!

Jmayes

PS, the attachment is Excel format- remove the .txt to load it.

hd100-sat520_codes.xls.txt 21.5k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow...

You won't belive what I just found!

I am starting a new thread...

"Debug codes for the HD200/SAT520!"

See the above thread and enjoy :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status