AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to return my two week old Sony HD200 and I'd love some feedback on this problem. The Sony unit works great, except it does not pull-in any signal, directv or OTA, as strongly as my crappy RCA box. I've tried two other DirecTV boxes on the same satellite feed. Using RCA boxes I get 100% signal on the OTA and high 80's to low 90's on the dish. Using the Sony I get less than 100% (hard to tell precisely) on the OTA and 60's to 70's on the dish. During even moderate weather I lose the dish signal altogether with the Sony.

Tweeter will only offer an exchange or upgrade on opened DirecTV equipment. I suspect that they are going to get tired of me in a hurry if I take home a new one only to find that this is a generic issue with the Sonys and not just this particular unit (especially at $900 each).

Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem with the Sony units? Should I exchange for a new one or try a different product?

Thanks, E.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sony receivers tend to show lower satellite signal strength than other receivers (except the Hughes-manufactured Sony x55 and x65). I'll get, say, 86 on the HD200 and 95 on the A65 on the same dish.

As for the OTA - everything I've heard says that the HD200 is better at pulling in digital OTA.

Having said that, 60-70 on the dish seems low to me, if you were getting 20 points better on the RCA. It might be your particular unit. I'd try an exchange (if you can find another one).

·
Registered
447 Posts
E.

I apologize if this is obvious, but have you tried selecting different transponders? For me, these can vary the signal stength by as much as 30%.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I get 70-80 on my directv signals - It's fine. I am sure that I could fine tune it better - but have no real incentive to do so as - what I have works and with a digital signal - you have it or you don't -there is no grey area.

I have to say that this is one of those thing like was pictured in the movie Spinal Tap - having your amplifer go all the way to 11 rather than 10 - because it is one louder

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Sony/Zenith is the best around for OTA reception at the moment. There is no common scale for OTA strength, I've had STBs that read 100% and others 80% with no actual difference, plus it's not really measuring signal strength anyway, its mostly bit error rates. As for satellite, if it works, its fine. As Glade mentions, make sure you are comparing the same transponder on the same satellite.

Tony

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
I recently replaced the RCA DTC-100 in my main system with a Sony HD-200 and can tell you that I get better reception of my formerly difficult-to-receive OTA ATSC channels and equally good Directv reception with the Sony. I now have the RCA hooked up in my family room system, and it still exhibits considerably less sensitivity in receiving the less-than-robust OTA ATSC signals I get from one station.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
True signal strength does make a diiference I have found thru the years. On satellite 98 is better than 88..It just locks in better, looks better, and easier to keep locked in when the weather turns bad..rain..snow....Also, it is all important on OTA to get that signal as strong as possible going into your STB. If it is not very strong..true..we do not have snow like on analog but we do have 'clocking' and dropouts..The stronger you can get that incoming signal the more near perfect signal you will obtain. It does take some time and work. And there is no substitude for a highly directional, high gain, UHF antenna...with a rotator, by the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tweeter gave me an open box unit to try and see if it was any better. It was worse. Low signal and no picture on most dish channels. So now I'm back to the Hughes (sorry I said RCA) unit which gets a great signal accross the board.

Can I assume that the Zenith will perform the same as the Sony?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.