AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the Superbowl yesterday in HD with an OTA and I was receiving a strong signal. Video was GREAT, but the audio sucked. I was using a opitcal cable from the DD port on the Sony HD300 to my Theta Cassablanca II and I kept getting clicking & popping noises from the speakers tha made the DD sound very bad. When I switch to the analog mode using regular RCA Left & Right cables the audio was fine.

Did anyone else evey experience this problem.

Could this be the opitcal cable? I purchased the most expensive one from Circuit City which cost $99, so I'm hoping it's not the cable.

Thanks,

MikeB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OpusX
I watched the Superbowl yesterday in HD with an OTA and I was receiving a strong signal. Video was GREAT, but the audio sucked. I was using a opitcal cable from the DD port on the Sony HD300 to my Theta Cassablanca II and I kept getting clicking & popping noises from the speakers tha made the DD sound very bad. When I switch to the analog mode using regular RCA Left & Right cables the audio was fine.

Did anyone else evey experience this problem.

Could this be the opitcal cable? I purchased the most expensive one from Circuit City which cost $99, so I'm hoping it's not the cable.

Thanks,

MikeB
I am on my 3rd HD300 and they all have this problem with the optical audio output. I input to a B&K ref50. I have called Sony a number of times and they have made all kinds of promises and did not live up to any of them. The most recent was " Someone from engineering will call you within 24 hours". This was two weeks ago and of course no one calls.

B&K is so sick of hearing about this problem they have come up with a software and hardware fix for it even tho the problem is not theirs.

I am sure that because DirectTV will soon be the only place you buy a recv for DirectTV, Sony internally is just trying to passify people hoping they will go away.

Don Jones

·
Registered
157 Posts
no, i do not have this problem with my october build sony. i have a few audio drops on ota if a light switch is turned on/off but other than that no other problems.

i watched superbowl here in san diego on OTA without a single issue with picture or audio. as long as no switches are thrown in the house the box performs great. lockups are my only issue. i have had about 8 resets now since early november. i am hoping the firmware upgrade will fix this. btw, directv performs perfectly in all cases for audio and video.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Showard594,

Do you know what type/brand LNB and multiswitch you have? I'm currently looking into the possibility that these boxes have some sort of problem with a certain brand/model LNB *or* multiswitch. I have an RCA LNB and multiswitch and I have several audio dropouts every hour on DirecTV SD stations like Comedy Central, TLC, Discovery, etc. along with some area based picture pixelization. I have no dropouts whatsoever on any other channels including HD DirecTV channels and OTA, so I'm wondering if the LNB/multiswitch might be an issue since those are really the only other devices between the box and the satellite that could cause a difference: I doubt the dish itself could be an issue.

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have the terk s25 dish and have had no problems with the sound quality when viewing directv programming. on San Diego OTA i get a drop/pixelation only when i turn on/off this light pole in the same room as my equipment. it happens every time so there is some interference. however, no problems when just sitting and watching OTA. my daughter watches it quite a bit in SD (nickelodeon, disney, etc) and she always tells me if there is a problem.

one annoying problem, on nickelodeon is that it resyncs the channel after about 1 minute of turning to 299 after powerup. no other channel does this. i tune to the channel, watch, and then it blinks to black then the channel banner comes on and all is fine, takes about 5 seconds. this happens everytime on 299 after a powerup. my daughter noticed this.

also my box resets fairly often (almost 1 per week) when powersufing the guide or favorites configuration page. seems to get overburdened or something.

hope this info helps. btw, signal range is 85-100 accros the transponders and normal to good using silver sensor on OTA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Channel GainMaster Phase III Triple LNB Dish with the Eagle Aspen DTV 4x8 multiswitch. I only get the popping/clicking noise from OTA only. I'm using the Channel Master 4228 8-Bay Bowtie UHF Antenna (CM4228) for OTA. Signal strength range is 93-100 on the transponders. Signal strength range is pegged on High for OTA for ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX

·
Registered
424 Posts
Update...

I replaced everything from the dish to the receiver yesterday. I installed a new Terk TRKS26 dish, replacing the old RCA plastic dish. The old dish had an external multiswitch and the DirecTV free Sat C upgrade kit. The new metal dish is much nicer with everything integrated (and covered), less connections, etc. I was able to get about 4 points better signal strength (up to 91 from 87) on Sat A. Sat B and C had similar small gains in signal strength.

The dropouts I was having seem to occur far less frequently now but they are still there. I need to keep my eye on it for a couple more days though because I only watched about 2 hours after I installed it and it is possible that I just got a good couple of hours (that's happened before). I guess my theory about LNB/multiswitch incompatibility is probably shot down.

Keep in mind that in my case, I have *never* experienced a dropout on OTA or DirecTV Sat B/C signals. I only have the problem (audio dropouts sometimes accompanied by area based picture pixelization) on DirecTV Sat A channels (all the SD channels like TLC, Discovery, Comedy Channel, etc.): part of the reason I thought it could be an LNB/multiswitch issue in my case.

I'm not too concerned that I spent $99 on a new dish because the old one was quite aged and was hard to adjust optimally. I just wish it had completely eliminated the problem. Oh well, it looks like it *might* give me at least some relief if/until the firmware upgrade comes which might address the issue. I'll report back after some more usage...

Mike

·
Registered
424 Posts
After a few more hours of testing, the frequency of audio dropouts seems to be much less than before. After installing the new dish and realigning, I now get *maybe* one dropout each hour, sometimes less. Before I was getting 4-8 per hour, sometimes more. So replacing the dish, LNB's, and multiswitch seems to at least have done something. Signal strength only went up 4 points from 87 to 91 so I don't think it has anything to do with alignment. I have also experienced one audio dropout while listening to a music channel that required me changing the channel before sound came back: the first time I've ever had an "indefinite" dropout. While the old dish had lots of dropouts, it never dropped sound completely requiring a channel change to get it back.

It's beginning to look like the SD300/LSS-3200A/HTL-HD might just be *very* finicky about the LNB/multiswitch or possibly some other factor that I didn't recognize but was affected when I changed out the dish/LNB/multiswitch. At least I think I can live with it this way until/if there is a firmware upgrade. It wasn't really "watchable" before. The area-based pixelization that follows objects around on screen has only happened one time in several hours of viewing too, and that was occurring as often as the audio dropouts before so that seems much better as well.

My .02...

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.