16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup:

Receiver: Sony STR-DA2400ES

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS75H

Game Console: Sony PS3

Sat Box: DirecTV R15 (composite cable)

Other A/V: Apple TV

TV: Sony Rear Projection 50" (unsure model)

HDMI Cables: Ethereal

DVD player, Apple TV, and PS3 are hooked up to the receiver by 3' HDMI cables. One 6' HDMI cable comes out of the receiver to the HDMI input on the tv.

The problem that I am all of a sudden having is that when the DVD player is hooked up to the DVD HDMI input on the receiver, every few minutes the audio/video will cut out for a second and come back on. During this time, the HDMI led on the DVD player and the HDMI light on the receiver will both turn off. If I move the DVD player to any other input, it works fine. If I plug my PS3 into the DVD HDMI input on the receiver, it works fine also! I have swapped cables around and the same keeps happening. I cant figure out if its a problem with the receiver or a problem with the dvd player. If its a problem with the receiver, why when I plug another source into the DVD input does it function properly?! If its the dvd player, why when I plug it into a different input on the receiver does it function properly?!

Here is a video of the issue (about 8 seconds in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5iB7uH5_M

Now I guess I could just swap inputs and just deal with it, however, it really bothers me! In the back of my mind I know that the DVD player is not plugged into the DVD input! I guess its my OCD!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
657 Posts
The problem is a combination of all of the above.

First lets understand whats happening.

Data between the source/display is sent bits which are of course 1's & 0's.

The data is actually read in the middle third of the bit time frame.

These bits must be sent with a specific max. rise time (this is how long it takes to go from one state to another), if the rise time is too long the bit (1 or 0) will not be in a readable state (this is the dropouts that you are having).

Increased rise time is caused by capacitance being added to the buss, this can be caused by minor design/build issues on circuit boards, heat & enviroment.

The only solution (other than switching to another input) is a device that will strip the capacitance from the buss.

(Here is the shilling part)

The device that you need is the Ethereal HDMI-DAD, it will solve your issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input...

Your post got me thinking...do you think this problem could occur from adding additional a/v components to the receiver using another HDMI input?

I added the Apple TV box about 2-3 weeks ago, but the problem didnt start to occur until a few days ago.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st3d /forum/post/16917850

Thanks for the input...

Your post got me thinking...do you think this problem could occur from adding additional a/v components to the receiver using another HDMI input?

I added the Apple TV box about 2-3 weeks ago, but the problem didnt start to occur until a few days ago.

Thanks again!

Yes it can as added items will draw down the voltage/amp's on the low speed buss.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i did some testing, and it appears that with the apple tv hdmi cable unplugged (even though it is in standby mode), the dvd player does not experience the a/v cut out issue...

do you think it could possibly just be a bad apple tv box or a bad dvd player? or just too many hdmi devices drawing too much voltage/amperage?

thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
All of the above.

Try rearranging which input (on the sony) that you use, could make a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Set up

Room 1

TV - Sony XBR4 52 Bravia

A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 3808

DVR - Motorola QIP6416-2 )Verizon FIOS provided)

Room 2

TV - Sharp Aquos LC32D62U

DVR - Motorola (same as Room 1)

I have a problem with HDMI handshake. (what I've been told)

In Room 1 of our set-up, we have occasional delays in signal to the TV which interrupt the enjoyment of the program to be certain. We can rewind the DVR to re-watch it, (not ideal) so we know it's being received into the DVR.

Cabling is FIOS Coax into DVR, HDMI to A/V Receiver, HDMI to TV from Receiver. We prefer using the A/V receiver for surround sound, so patching around that hasn't been considered.

We don't have the same problem in Room 2, so it mat suggest it's either Denon or Sony issue. But that's about as far as I can go at this point.

Are there set-up issues, firmware issues, or other issues we should consider?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.