AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm also interested in the CX300 (a CX350 minus the GPS and only 16GB). I've played around with the CX150 in stores and like what I saw. There should be many things the same between the 150 and 350.

I'm only on the fence about the 150 vs 300 whether its worth the extra $250 for a flash, the G wide angle lens, and an accessory shoe. Unless of course there are more differences I am unaware of.

I do not think it would be worth it to me for $100 to have GPS and an additional 16GB that the 350 has over the 300.

Anxiously awaiting these in stores, and some hands-on reviews.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeaux /forum/post/18218580

Unless of course there are more differences I am unaware of.

Also different from the 150, the 300 has optical stabilization, more pixels for photos, a wireless remote control, automatic lens cover, and golf shot. It has only a 12x optical zoom vs. 25x on the 150. The 300 is also slightly bigger and heavier.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilt /forum/post/18218999

Also different from the 150, the 300 has optical stabilization, more pixels for photos, a wireless remote control, automatic lens cover, and golf shot. It has only a 12x optical zoom vs. 25x on the 150. The 300 is also slightly bigger and heavier.

I think you just made up my mind for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought both the new CX150 and CX300 and experimented with both. I ended up keeping the CX300, even though I dearly loved the CX150's 25x optical zoom.

I and others have pointed out most key differences between the CX110/150 and the CX300/350 above.

Here are some others I noticed:

-- The 300 has a hand strap with a leather cushion pad, and is hence more comfortable, than the 150's slim nylon strap. There is also a metal neck strap ring on the 300's hand strap. The 150 has a fabric loop.

-- The 300 has a sliding door on the right side for the two electrical connections, whereas the 150 has a swing-open door. IMO, you are more likely to forget to close the sliding door than the swinging door, but the sliding door is less likely to break off by accident.

-- The automatic lens cover on the 300/350 (which the 110/150 don't have) clicks shut every time you touch replay. I find this annoying, as I replay a lot and erase most shots.

-- The 300 has a "walk mode" in the iAuto feature, which the 150 doesn't have in its iAuto feature. This does detect when you are walking, but I'm not sure what it does to the camera since OIS is already fully implemented.

-- In my informal and fairly uneducated testing, I thought the 300's G lens was sharper and reproduced better color at the iAuto setting than the 150's Zeiss lens.

-- Now that I have played with it, I think the flash on the CX300/350 is unimpressive and won't get a lot of use.

-- The CX300 uses significantly more battery power than the 150 in all SD and HD shooting modes, and hence has noticeably less battery time for shooting than the CX150 ... about 160 minutes vs. 190 minutes in SD mode with the same battery.

Finally, and I may start a thread on this because I don't understand it, the CX300/350 actually has some sort of 17x quasi-optical zoom when OIS is set to Active Mode, but only has a 12x optical zoom when OIS is set to Standard Mode or Off. None of the specs or advertising points this out. I only discovered it by reading footnotes in the user manual and experimenting with the OIS feature. The CX110/150 doesn't have this mystery intermediate zoom mode connected to OIS; they have 25x optical zoom regardless of the OIS setting.

Compared to the CX300, I personally would have no use for the CX350's GPS feature, and I can get the additional 16gb of storage with a $40 card. In addition, I personally give little value to the features that the CX550 has over the CX300.

Overall, I would have been very happy to stay with the CX150, but was influenced by the $70 discount I got off the list price of the CX300.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by melson /forum/post/18287446

Kilt,

Thanks for your views.....where did you get the 300v???

I got both cameras at B&H.

The discount was an unusual situation. I had bought the 150, but after receiving it I noticed two errors in B&H's description of the product. They said it had optical stabilization and a flash, but it has neither. I pointed this out to them, they agreed with me, and offered me the discount on the CX300 for their mistake.

Meanwhile, I had 10 days to return the CX150, so I used the time to experiment and compare both cameras together.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just got the cx300 and am very happy with it especially with the wider angel lens. I always buy and adaptor and i don't have to with this camera. the only thing I'm a little concerned about is the smaller sensor. 1/4 vs the 1/2.88 of the Cx 500. I hope the difference is negligible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My CX-300 is made in Japan.

Also, I bought a Sony LCS-CSD case for it, and it fits perfectly with the V50 battery and a UV protective lens. It's a fairly small case that can attach to your belt and holds a minimum of accessories. I can fit a spare V50 battery, a cleaning cloth, and an extra lens filter. The camera will only fit if you use the V50 battery on it. The V70 would be too big.

I've only used the CX-300 a little so far, but I am happy with it. The stills I have taken have come out pretty good. Certainly good enough for TV viewing and 4x6 prints. The flash can be annoying in that it might be too strong or soft, and you have to adjust it manually. I usually leave it on low level.

I love the wide angle lens. Makes capturing the kids a whole lot easier, they never seem to stay close enough together.

The video looks fine on my HDTV. Much better than my MiniDV camera. I don't have any other HiDef cameras to compare it to though.

I am still waiting for the Sony USB adapter to use the Direct Copy feature. If that works well, it will be my primary means of watching videos.

My computer is too slow to watch the videos on, and makes it pretty much useless to do any editing on. I will most likely keep the editing to a minimum and just use the in-camera Divide and Delete functions. The included software does an adequate job of creating DVD's, albeit very simple. Good enough to make a copy for us to mail to the rest of the family. They don't care much about fancy menus, they just want to see the grandkids doing cute things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered SONY HDR-CX300 and would like to know which SDHC card current owners are using. SONY website recommends SDHC class 4 cards and I am not sure there is a benefit in getting the higher class cards. Thnks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had the CX300 and returned it and got the CX550, but now I'm getting ready to return the 550 and get the 300 back, or maybe the 350. B&H must hate me by now
i had hoped to see some significant improvement in low light shooting with the larger sensor of the 550 but did not. It's also a lot bigger and bulkier. I have no use for the viewfinder and certainly not for the GPS. i think I may get the 350 this time instead because I really like the 32 GB on board. I had a 16 gb card before and its' really a hassle changing back and forth.

I can't imagine settling for the cx150 though. the wide angle is really really great, and the optical stabilization is a "mush have". It makes a huge difference in the final result. Anyway, I hope I am done trying out different cameras. i'm getting tired of running to the Fedex store every other day and returning camcorders.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr /forum/post/18367676

I had the CX300 and returned it and got the CX550, but now I'm getting ready to return the 550 and get the 300 back, or maybe the 350. B&H must hate me by now
i had hoped to see some significant improvement in low light shooting with the larger sensor of the 550 but did not. It's also a lot bigger and bulkier. I have no use for the viewfinder and certainly not for the GPS. i think I may get the 350 this time instead because I really like the 32 GB on board. I had a 16 gb card before and its' really a hassle changing back and forth.

I can't imagine settling for the cx150 though. the wide angle is really really great, and the optical stabilization is a "mush have". It makes a huge difference in the final result. Anyway, I hope I am done trying out different cameras. i'm getting tired of running to the Fedex store every other day and returning camcorders.

I have the 350 and am considering upgrading to the 550. The reason is the 350 image "vibrated" a lot. It is even inferior to my old HC3.

This issue manifests itself particularly when shooting trees, etc. Maybe I have a defective unit? Or maybe I am not used to AVCHD?

·
Registered
547 Posts
My biggest concern between the cx350/300 and the CX550 was that the low light video would be significantly better with the 550. here is a clip I made with the CX300 before I returned it. I got the 550 last week and tried it out, but sent it back, and now the CX350 is on it's way. I'm sure glad these reliable companies have liberal return policies. Anyway the first 2/3rds of the clip is indoors during the day in my bedroom with my Daughter's new bunny and my Dog, and the last 1/3rd is at night in the same place. The low light ability is perfectly sufficient for my needs.

I guess I don't have the right format to post the clip. I used Pinnacle to make and mpeg. Not sure how to make a .mov

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.