AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new camcorder, preferably hi-def. I've asked some people for opinions. It looks like they Sony is the brand to go since it does a great job in low light, compared to other brands. I can't seem to decide between the SR11 and HC9. Any help would be appreciated.

I heard miniDV will not be offered with future camcorders, so is it worth buying one since I'm not exactly sure if miniDV tapes would be available for use? I'm not a professional or video enthusiast. I mainly wanted good quality home videos. Don't have too much time to sit around and edit videos, perhaps some years from the date I purchase one. It seems that editing hi-def videos are a task since most softwares do not support AVCHD formats. I don't have a Blu-ray writer or DVD player at the moment (due to prices being too high at the moment), so would getting one of these be worthwhile? It seems that if I buy the SR11, I would need to buy a hard drive to backup the videos. Otherwise, purchase a Blu-ray burner to keep the videos. With miniDV, the quality is higher, but if I want to put it onto a DVD or Blu-ray disc, I would need to download the videos onto the computer in real time.

Does any of these camcorders make noise during recording? If so, can you hear it in the videos? Can the SR11 pass through the airport scanning machines without damaging the drive and its contents? How about if I bring it with me on hikes? Thanks in advance for all your guide and help!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleblossoms /forum/post/15483903

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new camcorder, preferably hi-def. I've asked some people for opinions. It looks like they Sony is the brand to go since it does a great job in low light, compared to other brands. I can't seem to decide between the SR11 and HC9. Any help would be appreciated.

I heard miniDV will not be offered with future camcorders, so is it worth buying one since I'm not exactly sure if miniDV tapes would be available for use? I'm not a professional or video enthusiast. I mainly wanted good quality home videos. Don't have too much time to sit around and edit videos, perhaps some years from the date I purchase one. It seems that editing hi-def videos are a task since most softwares do not support AVCHD formats. I don't have a Blu-ray writer or DVD player at the moment (due to prices being too high at the moment), so would getting one of these be worthwhile? It seems that if I buy the SR11, I would need to buy a hard drive to backup the videos. Otherwise, purchase a Blu-ray burner to keep the videos. With miniDV, the quality is higher, but if I want to put it onto a DVD or Blu-ray disc, I would need to download the videos onto the computer in real time.

Does any of these camcorders make noise during recording? If so, can you hear it in the videos? Can the SR11 pass through the airport scanning machines without damaging the drive and its contents? How about if I bring it with me on hikes? Thanks in advance for all your guide and help!

You are wrong it is a known fact that with its bionz technol,ogy the SR11 has the edge over the HC9s picture performance.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleblossoms /forum/post/15483903

Hi,

help!

1. drives are not damaged by airport scanners

2. mini DV tapes will be available for the forseeable future

3. lolwut? DVD players too high in prices? players can be had for as little as $80 for a quality sony progressive scan one.

4. all cameras make noise but you'll never hear it on your recordings and will usually hear it only when you have the camera next to your face.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't own any of these camcorders. However, people who use these products did reviews and comparisons on the products. The tapes in general have raw quality and not compressed quality like the HDD ones.

Professional HDD camcorders do not compress the videos compared to the consumer ones.

I'm towards the HDD due to easy storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus /forum/post/15485048

You are wrong it is a known fact that with its bionz technol,ogy the SR11 has the edge over the HC9s picture performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for addressing my concerns YeuEmMaiMai.

I've already made my decision yesterday.

Re: #3

I was refering to Blu ray disc writers. They're kind of pricey right now, for 6x writing ability. Plus the Blu ray discs themselves are a bit pricier compared to the regular DVD-R discs.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleblossoms /forum/post/15497924

The tapes in general have raw quality and not compressed quality like the HDD ones.

all tape-based consumer camcorders compress the heck out of the video signal before it's recorded.

minidv, for instance, had 5:1 compression, and hdv is compressed more than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts