AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No one is claiming that the semi-pocketable Samsung NX500 with its single-length 2D/3D lens can do what a 3D camcorder can do, but the Samsung NX500 gives a much nicer picture (in terms of color, dynamic range, and resolution) than any of the small-sensor 3D camcorders. It also has a much bigger sensor, and thus provides shallow dof shots that some argue enhances 3D.

Here is a 3D video, shot with the TD10 and the NX500 in 3D so that anyone can compare what each provides for 3D. The first shot for each scene is from the TD10.

The video was put together in PowerDirector 13. It was great that the MVC AVCHD 3D files from the Sony and the H265 (HEVC) sbs 3D files from the Samsung could be readily combined on the timeline, edited and output as an sbs 3D video. I was not pleased by the output choices, however. This was output as an sbs .m2ts files, 108060i at 24Mbps. I would have preferred an XAVC S file at a higher bitrate.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
No one is claiming that the semi-pocketable Samsung NX500 with its single-length 2D/3D lens can do what a 3D camcorder can do, but the Samsung NX500 gives a much nicer picture (in terms of color, dynamic range, and resolution) than any of the small-sensor 3D camcorders. It also has a much bigger sensor, and thus provides shallow dof shots that some argue enhances 3D.

Here is a 3D video, shot with the TD10 and the NX500 in 3D so that anyone can compare what each provides for 3D. The first shot for each scene is from the TD10.

https://youtu.be/e9MyktTj1Oo

The video was put together in PowerDirector 13. It was great that the MVC AVCHD 3D files from the Sony and the H265 (HEVC) sbs 3D files from the Samsung could be readily combined on the timeline, edited and output as an sbs 3D video. I was not pleased by the output choices, however. This was output as an sbs .mts files, 108060i at 24Mbps. I would have preferred an XAVC S file at a higher bitrate.
In PD, you have the option to make a custom high bitrate .m2ts preset.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
For 3D, .m2ts, sbs 1/2-frame I get the message there are no customized options.
I'm not sure what version of PD you're using, but here is a screen capture from PD13's custom 3D .m2ts half frame SBS presets diaglog box showing what's available- all the way up to 48,500. I recall, you said that you were using 1080i half frame sbs so I took a screenshot of that option set in the dialog box, but it is also has options for half frame SBS progressive too at just about any framerate you could ever want.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what version of PD you're using, but here is a screen capture from PD13's custom 3D .m2ts half frame SBS presets diaglog box showing what's available- all the way up to 48,500. I recall, you said that you were using 1080i half frame sbs so I took a screenshot of that option set in the dialog box, but it is also has options for half frame SBS progressive too at just about any framerate you could ever want.
Thanks, but:

I am using PowerDirector Ultra 13.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I thought the TD10 definitely had more 3D effect and in some instances was better. That said, for some reason I was seeing more interlaced artifacts in these than you other videos. Not sure why.
Unfortunately, PD 13 only gave me an interlaced render option among the higher bitrate options (1080 60i) in 3D mode. The other videos were all progressive (1080 30p); this was because a native sbs video, as produced by the NX500, is essentially a 2D video, and so it has a lot more options (and can can be edited in any editor). I was going straight from 2D progressive sbs to 2D progressive sbs. The TD10 shoots in MVC, 1080 60i - it is interlaced.

I also see evidence of blocking in the rendered video I do not see in the original. Some of the resolution advantage of the NX500 was lost.

I made a video just from the NX500 parts, output using XAVC S, as in my other videos. here its is:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts