AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Sony KV-34HS420 HDTV for 18 months. I am now trying to use a Samsung DTB-H260F HD tuner to watch over the air HD. After trying two HDMI cables and 2 Samsung tuners the following problem still exists. When turning on the tuner and TV I have a perfect picture for 4-5 min then it changes to black and white including all the Samsung menus. If I shut off the tv for a few hours I get my color back for 4 mins and the again only black and white. After numerous permutations turning on and off tuner and tv it has to be the TV and specifically the HDMI connection as the component video connections work fine. So after 4 min of the TV on I can receive only black and white pictures on the HDMI conection.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem? I see I can buy a HDMI connection for this TV but don't know if it snaps in or is soldered in or is it a board and not the connection at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc10 /forum/post/0

I have had a Sony KV-34HS420 HDTV for 18 months. I am now trying to use a Samsung DTB-H260F HD tuner to watch over the air HD. After trying two HDMI cables and 2 Samsung tuners the following problem still exists. When turning on the tuner and TV I have a perfect picture for 4-5 min then it changes to black and white including all the Samsung menus. If I shut off the tv for a few hours I get my color back for 4 mins and the again only black and white. After numerous permutations turning on and off tuner and tv it has to be the TV and specifically the HDMI connection as the component video connections work fine. So after 4 min of the TV on I can receive only black and white pictures on the HDMI conection.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem? I see I can buy a HDMI connection for this TV but don't know if it snaps in or is soldered in or is it a board and not the connection at all.

Thanks

I have the exact same problem with a Sony KD34XBR970. The problem is still there, even when the HDMI input is routed through a Sony STR-DG1000 Receiver via the HDMI input and output. Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM. Samsung's box and Sony's TV arn't handshaking properly regarding HDCP. If I use any other HDMI source, everything is fine. I'm not trying to do anything illegal, but my new very expensive equipment is crippled anyway. Thanks alot, MPAA!! This problem is especially a pain for me, as HDMI switching is why I bought the receiver, and I don't have enough inputs in this receiver without it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having a very similar experience with my Sony 34HS420 and Samsung H260F. The HDMI feed worked fine for a couple months before it started acting up about 3 months ago. Now I can get about 30 minutes of perfect picture before the color starts flickering in and out from black and white. Is this really an HDCP issue? I'm worried the HDMI input on the TV is hosed. Is it possible the HDMI cable is crap? I bought it on super-sale from Amazon for like $2.

Any more input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The only HDMI problem I have with my Sony 36xs955 is that at times I have only crackling sound. If I uplug my cable box and reboot the box audio comes back. I have found that I have to turn on both the tv and the cable box with the all in one button or I will lose the audio. This has also happened with Directv in the past. It is a tv issue for sure.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My set up is as followed; Sony KD-34XBR970, Xbox 360, Pioneer VSX-816K, RCA vcr.
  • Xbox 360 hooked to TV via HDMI (sound good and picture great)
  • Xbox 360 hooked to Pioneer AVR via optical (sound great)
  • VCR hooked to Pioneer AVR via composit, hooked to TV via composit (sound and picture good)
  • TV hooked to Pioneer AVR via coax (sound great)
  • HomeMade outdoor antenna conected to TV (picture great)

hyghwayman

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner /forum/post/11594118

Suprising that none of you that have the problem have talked to Sony and/or Samsung. I suggest you all do so right away.

fafner

I must agree.

I am having a SAST look at my XBR970 for geomitry and overscan issues on the 14th.

Quote:
Where I live there is only 1 Auth. Serv. Center (ASC) in my zipcode. They are on the other side of town and I wouldn't trust them w/ a rock. There is another company that is a ASC, 1 zipcode to the south of me that I would prefer to use. Using the Sony eSupport site I just submitted a request for repair using the ASC that is closer to me and the one I want. In my confirmation, it says;

"A Sony Authorized Technical Support representative will contact you prior to 5:00pm during the next business day to discuss the problem with your TV and review your appointment."

I did get the call from my prefered ASC
and they are coming from 48mi. away too. I live in the Dayton Ohio area and the Tech is coming from Cincy Ohio

Here is a link to my story over at AUDIOHOLICS .

hyghwayman

·
Registered
127 Posts
the issue is not with the quality of the hdmi port of the tv but the fact that the chip in the tv and the chip in the samsung tuner are not compatible,and its very frustrating. i too have a xbox 360 with an hdmi port hooked to the tv and it looks amazing and ive hooked other dvd players etc...which all work wonderfully its just this tuner,and it appears im not the only one with this issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner /forum/post/11594118

Suprising that none of you that have the problem have talked to Sony and/or Samsung. I suggest you all do so right away.

fafner

And you'll get no where with Sony.... I posted on this back in March & again in May for any of you who may by chance recall seeing the threads. I called Sony three different times, and each support tech kept insisting that the problem was with the Samsung tuner box, not the TV... even though the Samsung tuner works perfectly over HDMI with other company's TV's that I've tried with it, Philips and Pioneer. They refused any suggestion that the problem was with the Sony TV.
Samsung had me send in the box and gave me a new replacement. Same problem... Maybe I just had bum Sony techs, but 3 for 3 reps having that attitude put me off big time.

I've been using component cables since then; same quality picture, just wanted to use the HDMI connection since that's one of the reasons I bought that tuner box model instead of going with a used box that used component or DVI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well my Sony KD-34XS955 joined the dead HDCP cub this weekend. My Toshiba HD-A2 ran great on the HDMI port for about 3 months then poof! No more video or sound via HDMI from the HD-A2. But my HTPC still works over the HDMI. So I have narrowed it down to the *BLESSED* HDCP (THANK YOU MPAA**HOLES.) I take it from all I've read I'm up the creak and Sony does not care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.