AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help with giving us tips on putting our HD movie on a DVHS tape for screenings or playing from a hard drive.

Will Final Cut Pro material go onto a DVHS tape via firewire?

The post houses in LA seem expensive. They want over $1,000 to make a DVHS tape from our HD CAM with 5.1 surround from our DA88 tape.

It has to have 5.1 suround. Is there anyway to make our own DVHS tape with software or should we pay the big bucks?

I also heard about RF interference problems with the DVHS decks. Anyone know which DVHS DECK is the best?

Would it make more sense to use h.264 and play from a hard disc?

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
Maybe pete4 can chime in here. I believe it's possible but first you have to compress the video from 25 down to about 20 Mbps. Pete?

TM

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Can anybody help with giving us tips on putting our HD movie on a DVHS tape for screenings or playing from a hard drive.

Will Final Cut Pro material go onto a DVHS tape via firewire?

The post houses in LA seem expensive. They want over $1,000 to make a DVHS tape from our HD CAM with 5.1 surround from our DA88 tape.

It has to have 5.1 suround. Is there anyway to make our own DVHS tape with software or should we pay the big bucks?

I also heard about RF interference problems with the DVHS decks. Anyone know which DVHS DECK is the best?

Would it make more sense to use h.264 and play from a hard disc?
One thing you can do, if you have not tried, is to make sure your HD movie is in the transport stream (*.ts) format. Once it is, then you can try a program called DVHS Tool to record from your computer to your DVHS tape. It will retain whatever sound it was recorded in, such a 2 channel stereo or 5.1 surround.

I have personally used this program when I worked at Fry's Electronics to record some demo material to a DVHS tape for the audio/video department. I just went from the computer to a JVC 40K model. As far as DVHS decks, there are 2 main manufacturers of DVHS players, Mitsubishi and JVC. The JVC's have the added benefits of being able to play D-Theater studio produced tapes.

You could play it from the hard drive, but you would want to make sure your computer hardware is up to the task, as they require alot of processing power to play HD movies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

>Maybe pete4 can chime in here. I believe it's possible but first you have to compress the video from 25 down to about 20 Mbps. Pete?

Recompressing does not sound like a good idea. I think I will try playing from the .m2v (.ts) file from my hard drive.

I also had a roku media player suggested anybody use one of these? how many Mbps cab those handle I wonder?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I also had a roku media player suggested anybody use one of these? how many Mbps cab those handle I wonder?
The Roku will play the HDV streams from Sony cams (HDR-FX1, etc.) just fine - I do it all the time. Some people have problems with bandwidth via SMB shares, but if you can do NFS it works great.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've been experimenting with a new JVC HM-DH5U for about a month now. I've been attempting to download HD movies from the hard drive to DVHS tapes via the Firewire interface card that I added to the PC. I would highly recommend this JVC model over the few other models available. I believe it's the only one available with an HDMI output connection, so it makes it a little more future proof.

I definitely agree with everything that's been said so far in the thread. I've been using DVHSTool and it's a great package. I was able almost immediately to connect to the deck and record to it with no problems. While everything works fine, my problem has been the highly "pixelated" DVHS tape playback.

You can however, playback from the HD via DVHSTool thru the JVC deck (tape transport doesn't move) and the results are good at the projector.

You might want to take a look at the following thread titled "Issue while recording TS file to DVHS":

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=570953

The only surefire fix suggested so far is to switch out from a Window's based PC to a Mac computer. They invented the Firewire interface, and most people seem to have good luck using that system to record to DVHS. Microsoft definitely screwed up the Firewire interface when they went from Service Pack 1 to SP2. They published a fix mentioned in the referenced thread, but that didn't help me either.

If anyone knows how to make a Windows PC record from a hard drive to DVHS, I'd sure like to know.

Ray

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
arock

>The Roku will play the HDV streams from Sony cams (HDR-FX1, etc.) just fine - I do it all the time. Some people have problems with bandwidth via SMB shares, but if you can do NFS it works great.

How do you play the streams? The Roku doesn't have Firewire does it? If you are playing from the camera, why not just use the camera component/composite out? What is an SMB? By NFS do you mean a hard disc with network capabilities?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray,

To confirm, I could play at the higher bitrate needed for 1080i this way?

"You can however, playback from the HD via DVHSTool thru the JVC deck (tape transport doesn't move) and the results are good at the projector."

Thanks for the link. I posted over there so you can answer here or there.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
macmac,

I think the Roku outputs from component. I think the point of using it is twofold:

-easier/faster navigation and organization of content on a hard drive

-avoid using your camera as a VCR (i.e. reduce head usage)

TM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.