AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 3395 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tboy /forum/post/21216801

for those that have one (to have the best true idea rather than the sony advertised distance), how close to my 50" tv would I be stand to get an equivalent sized image? Think the quoted perceived distances by Sony are spot on or exaggerated a lot?

I have a 50" display. I would say about 2.5 feet from the display would be about right. I compared it by how far my eyes have to move to see corners when I wear the HMZ.

·
Registered
91 Posts
01/17/2012

This is the new estimated date they have. I was just about to email them to see if I was getting mine on 11/17 like people who were ordering them now (before).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi guys. I wanted to give my initial impressions after having this the last four days. I will say upfront that I'm teetering on returning it but not because of image quality or fit.

The Good

I think the image is phenomenal and on par with my Panny V10 plasma. i can see a little of the screendoor effect but only when I"m looking for it. Otherwise I don't even notice. I'm blown away by the 3D. Granted, this is my first experience with 3D outside of a movie theater. It's so much brighter with no blurring the way it was meant to be. I've played a bit of Skyrim and Wipeout HD on it and viewed a few 3D demo movies on Vudu.

The Bad

It does take some effort to get the picture correct. I always had blur in the corners and constantly had to re-adjust to keep the picture in focus. I fiddled with it for 2 days and eventually just took off the pad and put the smaller one on. Just as several people have said, the smaller pad works wonders. Once on, I notched the top strap up to the last hole and it fit perfectly. The picture was clear, sharp in all four corners and the center. Best of all, I was no longer constantly moving it around on my forehead to keep focus.

The Dealbreaker?

The day I got the HMD, the first thing I tried it with was Skyrim. Ten minutes later, I had to stop because I experienced something I never have before when playing games: motion sickness. This was a surprise to me since I've never been nauseous playing a game on my 65" Panny. Perhaps, it does too good a job of being immersive or my "old man" eyes can no longer handle all that visual stimuli. Whatever the case, this is a problem for me. I tried the next three days with Wipeout HD and Battlefield 3 but after a few minutes, my neck would start to feel warm and i'd start to sweat a little. I just felt weird like my body was telling me it didn't feel natural. I'm ok with watching movies (Tron 3D clips looked amazing off of Vudu) but I really bought this to play games and my body seems to be telling me that I can't handle it. :-/ So I have a decision to make. I don't feel I would get everything out of it that I want. I guess it's not meant for me or I'm not meant for it because the fault really lies with my limitations and not the HMD. I need to decide if I should keep this or return. Sigh. :-(

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrome /forum/post/21217817

Hi guys. I wanted to give my initial impressions after having this the last four days. I will say upfront that I'm teetering on returning it but not because of image quality or fit.

The Good

I think the image is phenomenal and on par with my Panny V10 plasma. i can see a little of the screendoor effect but only when I"m looking for it. Otherwise I don't even notice. I'm blown away by the 3D. Granted, this is my first experience with 3D outside of a movie theater. It's so much brighter with no blurring the way it was meant to be. I've played a bit of Skyrim and Wipeout HD on it and viewed a few 3D demo movies on Vudu.

The Bad

It does take some effort to get the picture correct. I always had blur in the corners and constantly had to re-adjust to keep the picture in focus. I fiddled with it for 2 days and eventually just took off the pad and put the smaller one on. Just as several people have said, the smaller pad works wonders. Once on, I notched the top strap up to the last hole and it fit perfectly. The picture was clear, sharp in all four corners and the center. Best of all, I was no longer constantly moving it around on my forehead to keep focus.

The Dealbreaker?

The day I got the HMD, the first thing I tried it with was Skyrim. Ten minutes later, I had to stop because I experienced something I never have before when playing games: motion sickness. This was a surprise to me since I've never been nauseous playing a game on my 65" Panny. Perhaps, it does too good a job of being immersive or my "old man" eyes can no longer handle all that visual stimuli. Whatever the case, this is a problem for me. I tried the next three days with Wipeout HD and Battlefield 3 but after a few minutes, my neck would start to feel warm and i'd start to sweat a little. I just felt weird like my body was telling me it didn't feel natural. I'm ok with watching movies (Tron 3D clips looked amazing off of Vudu) but I really bought this to play games and my body seems to be telling me that I can't handle it. :-/ So I have a decision to make. I don't feel I would get everything out of it that I want. I guess it's not meant for me or I'm not meant for it because the fault really lies with my limitations and not the HMD. I need to decide if I should keep this or return. Sigh. :-(

Are you running games at 1080p 24hz if so try notching it down to 720p 60hz in the games. maybe the slower rate causing issues.. I know trying to un 3d at 30hz caused a lot of problems like this in the early days.

Also not sure if I would rush returning it.. it wouldn't be a bad gamble to play with it some more.. because there is probably going to be a huge shortage for xmas and you should easily be able to sell it private and maybe even make a little.

·
Registered
71 Posts
well, first off this is BANANAS! it truly is immersive! just make sure you have TOTAL darknest for the full affect, i have to tape over a few LEDS on my computer towers, and routers, besides that in pitch black you really get zoned away, i must say...

i've had a hell of a lot of problems with adjustments, i find without ANY PADS, is still comfortable and i get the BEST overall picture, so if your getting blurring try that out, now all i need to do is find out how to put something to block the sensor.. so it stays on?

any ideas people?

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkster /forum/post/21218055

well, first off this is BANANAS! it truly is immersive! just make sure you have TOTAL darknest for the full affect, i have to tape over a few LEDS on my computer towers, and routers, besides that in pitch black you really get zoned away, i must say...

i've had a hell of a lot of problems with adjustments, i find without ANY PADS, is still comfortable and i get the BEST overall picture, so if your getting blurring try that out, now all i need to do is find out how to put something to block the sensor.. so it stays on?

any ideas people?

okay just answered my own question, guess what guys, those little cushion blocks are held by double sided tape, all you have to do is peel one of them off, i pulled the big block cushion, off, and you get the bare plate, now you can either leave it as is, which is basically no cushion giving the BEST IMAGE, or you can take something like a sturdy sock, and trim the elastic ankle cuff, and place it over the bare plate, this gives you a relatively comfortable "cushion" without the extra bulk, and it keeps the sensor from going off, so it works perfectly, alittle pressure on the nose, but i lay down on my bed when i use this, looking up at my ceiling so it doesn't bother me gravity takes roughly 40% of the pressure off my nose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
@vrome -- I'm with Easty. It's easy to return and hard to get it back. I would take advantage of the 30 day return policy and play with it as much as you can before making the final decision. Hopefully there are settings you can adjust to minimize the effect

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrome /forum/post/21217817

The Dealbreaker?

I am not prone to FPS Motion Sickness at all, and will play games 4' from a 73'' TV (my wife OTOH will flee the room even at 9'!).

However, the 3D is a killer! In my first two days, I got a headache, even some wooziness from Resistance, the 1st game I played. I bought Motorstorm Pacific Rim 3D that evening, and while the 3D quality is not as good, I had trouble with that (but love the game). Surprisingly I had no problems with Wipeout HD 3D -- the best 3D of the bunch!

I can say, however, that I acclimated to some degree. I played some hard core Resistance with the Sharpshooter yesterday and felt fine. Played lots of Motorstorm for several days and generally had no trouble. OTOH, it can be a bit spotty. I got really wonky from Motorstorm this afternoon.

So I wouldn't give up just yet. Try different games, see if you can acclimate too, and realize that some days might be problematic for whatever reason.

It's also pretty darn immersive when not in 3D mode, so you can play games in 2D and watch movies in 3D and still have an improved experience over your regular TV.

-Pie

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the size references.

Motion sickness is a potential concern. Mostly I don't suffer.....only thing that used to affect me bigtime, was the olde olde Wolfenstein 3D, watching people play that would send my stomach churning for some reason, even now still. Here's hoping its not going to be an issue.

When the 3hours warning message comes on, is it easy enough to clear? Or any way to disable that? Would be annoying if in middle of an intense fight scene in a game or something

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just tested TrackIR with Skyrim. It worked BEAUTIFULLY!

I added a short clip in my HMZ-T1 / TrackIR video. The clip is in windowed mode so I could show the tracking. The game runs great in 3D and even better when its tracking your movements.

Here is a link to my video

·
Registered
41 Posts
Super awesome, Vic-Viper! That's incredibly good news!

I am eager to know more details, if you please:

1. Is the head movement in addition to mouse control and keyboard control? So can I look around with the mouse (fast turns, when my neck gets tired) as well as with my head alone?

2. How are the menus operated? When mouse and keyboard still work, it should be no problem, otherwise it might be hard...

3. If mouse and head tracking work at the same time - how are conflicting inputs resolved?

4. Is there much extra workload on the processor, i.e. do frames significantly drop?

5. Does the head tracking allow for as fluid looking around as the mouse view?

6. Does this work equally well in first and in third person when playing Skyrim (I guess for it's just camera control?)?

7. Does it work out of the box with Skyrim or is some additional tinkering/programming needed (if so, you obviously did it)?

8. I guess it can be used in full stereo 3d mode, i.e. windowed mode is not neccessary?

Wow, so many questions, so fast. I would really appreciate some more info on this - many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted similar in the other thread, but it seems deserted now, so I just thought I'd ask here. Has anyone who ordered on or around the 7th of November already received their HMD?

I'm using an Australian importer who uses buying agents in the US, and don't provide me with a tracking number. They tell me it still says due to ship 21 November. Should I be insisting they chase it up with Sony, or should I wait patiently? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Mine arrived very early this morning but I only had a few minutes to try it before going to work.

I can see that getting a good fit is a real struggle! I tried all 3 forehead pieces, and fiddled around with the straps.

I can get a sharp image...that wasn't the problem. The issue is that I could only get a sharp image if the headset was low enough down my face that it presses on my nose. The weight is not on the nose, but it compresses my nose. It is tolerable, but not as comfortable as I feel it should be.

Everyone's head is different but for others that have received theirs, does the unit sit above or make contact with your nose?

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spybreaka /forum/post/21218618

I posted similar in the other thread, but it seems deserted now, so I just thought I'd ask here. Has anyone who ordered on or around the 7th of November already received their HMD?

I think there is a shortage right now and would surprised if orders placed as recently as the 7th were already shipping, especially with the likes of the UK receiving very few. Mind you, Canadian stock has arrived but not been released yet, so the distribution model actually wouldn't surprise me thinking about it!

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt /forum/post/21218639

Mine arrived very early this morning but I only had a few minutes to try it before going to work.

I can see that getting a good fit is a real struggle! I tried all 3 forehead pieces, and fiddled around with the straps.

I can get a sharp image...that wasn't the problem. The issue is that I could only get a sharp image if the headset was low enough down my face that it presses on my nose. The weight is not on the nose, but it compresses my nose. It is tolerable, but not as comfortable as I feel it should be.

Everyone's head is different but for others that have received theirs, does the unit sit above or make contact with your nose?

Yes, currently struggling with this. I'm trying different combinations of all 4 adjustments. forehead piece (top or bottom) side adjustments (out and in) top strap and bottom strap. The best for me right now is slightly resting on my nose which gets a little uncomfortable after about 30 mins+.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /forum/post/21218667

I think there is a shortage right now and would surprised if orders placed as recently as the 7th were already shipping, especially with the likes of the UK receiving very few. Mind you, Canadian stock has arrived but not been released yet, so the distribution model actually wouldn't surprise me thinking about it!

I ordered mine on the 6th and received it yesterday.

501 - 520 of 3395 Posts