AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Looks good to me too - BluRay3D output from PS3 to box to headset could get me into 3D for not many $ (compared to other ways) - not far behind should be the head-position sensitive ones for true lookaround virtual gaming in 3D - cool... (will we have to wait for PS4 or will someone hack a controller you put on the device?)

I'm not whining about it "only" being 720p and one day there'll be 1080 and then 4K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
It SOUNDS amazing, but will it live up to the hype? Maybe, early previews of the prototype say its really great and every preview Ive read has talked about it being so immersive that you turn your head expecting to be able to look around. Its nothing like the crap thats already out, this is the real deal.


Its one of those things youll have to try for yourself. Im interested in how 2d translates using a separate display for each eye, does it screw with your eyes? Also just how black can it get, like if it illuminates the innards (it sounds like it doesnt given the head turning reports). And is it too big? How much eye movement is required to see the tops and bottoms.


For an OLED tv that has kuro killing blacks $600 is a great deal, right in the "expensive toy" category like an ipad. Full brightness 3d with no crosstalk or blur also sounds great. And I wouldnt feel too scared of being an early adopter at that price. Ever since getting a phone with a super amoled screen Ive been dreaming of the day OLED tvs come out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My questions are, will it work with computers for movies?, what about movies etc from cable boxes? I assume you can disable sound and use your normal sound system? Will it play sbs, top and bottom, etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 /forum/post/20891101


My questions are, will it work with computers for movies?, what about movies etc from cable boxes? I assume you can disable sound and use your normal sound system? Will it play sbs, top and bottom, etc

Yes, the processor box for the headset will work with any HDMI output device (Blu-ray, PS3, 360, PC, cable/sat box). Not sure about disabling the built-in 5.1 sound. I have a 9.1 sound system in my living room, so I would hope using the 5.1 simulated sound is optional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
It works exactly the same as a regular 3dtv and can be hooked up to anything with hdmi, sbs and top/bottom support is required for proper 3d certification so it would have to support that. I would also like to know if the headphones can be removed, Im sure they are high quality 5.1 headphones but they don't have a subwoofer. That being said you of course don't have to use them for audio since you can always hook up audio separately from video but it would be nice to be able to take them off (5.1 headphone are usually open air anyways so they won't block sound too much).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote /forum/post/20891277


Yes, the processor box for the headset will work with any HDMI output device (Blu-ray, PS3, 360, PC, cable/sat box). Not sure about disabling the built-in 5.1 sound. I have a 9.1 sound system in my living room, so I would hope using the 5.1 simulated sound is optional.

true, but does that mean it will work with 3dtv play and other drivers that the computer video cards use?


if not that would be a bummer. what about half SBS format? not that i really want to run that format, but just seems like this could be cool if it throws a movie theatre style sceen and i suppose you could just sit in your normal viewing area and get nice sound. but if it ends up being an odd goose then its better to just get a projector and be done with it.


other nice thing about this is you don't need a space on your wall, and if your wife is sleeping, you could use the internal sound and not wake the house. plus you could probably lie down and watch this, although that thing is probably heavy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
The Engadget article I read about HMZ-T1 yesterday gave the impression this would be released here in the US in November. That isn't the case. Sony has only announced November 11 availability for Japan. So who knows when we'll see this here. Probably not til next year I imagine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote /forum/post/20894430


The Engadget article I read about HMZ-T1 yesterday gave the impression this would be released here in the US in November. That isn't the case. Sony has only announced November 11 availability for Japan. So who knows when we'll see this here. Probably not til next year I imagine.

other articles I read said christmas time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
from my reading, its more likely compared to a 150 inch screen, but thats still pretty good, they say something about 45 degrees of viewing or something, not sure what that means, its strapped to your head, that makes me concerned that I couldn't lie down with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 /forum/post/20895299


from my reading, its more likely compared to a 150 inch screen, but thats still pretty good, they say something about 45 degrees of viewing or something, not sure what that means, .

45 degrees is the angle between lines from the edges of the screen to your nose. Whether it's a "75 inch screen seen from 6 1/2 feet", or "750 inch screen from 65 feet" - it will look the same - the 45 degrees is fixed.


The reviews of hands-on say the weight is well distributed and you forget about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
The processor unit for the visor isn't as big as the photos made it seem to be.. 180 × 168 × 36mm (width × height × depth). Too bad the processor unit doesn't have an internal lithium rechargeable battery for portable use. This would be nice for watching movies on long plane trips, if you don't mind looking goofy in public and having people stare at you.
Many laptops now have HDMI output. There's also an HDMI output adapter available for the iPad. The next version definitely needs head-tracking capability for gaming. Sony would sell a lot more of these if they included gyroscopic head-tracking and the ability to pair up the visor with a PS3 as wireless controller. Call of Duty with these visors and head-tracking would be awesome!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote /forum/post/20895627


The processor unit for the visor isn't as big as the photos made it seem to be.. 180 × 168 × 36mm (width × height × depth). Too bad the processor unit doesn't have an internal lithium rechargeable battery for portable use. This would be nice for watching movies on long plane trips, if you don't mind looking goofy in public and having people stare at you.
Many laptops now have HDMI output. There's also an HDMI output adapter available for the iPad. The next version definitely needs head-tracking capability for gaming. Sony would sell a lot more of these if they included gyroscopic head-tracking and the ability to pair up the visor with a PS3 as wireless controller. Call of Duty with these visors and head-tracking would be awesome!

I love me some COD and the head tracking idea sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to constantly be whipping my head back and forth to check my blind spots.



Regardless, I'll be keeping an eye out for these when they get released to the public!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSJones /forum/post/20895539


45 degrees is the angle between lines from the edges of the screen to your nose. Whether it's a "75 inch screen seen from 6 1/2 feet", or "750 inch screen from 65 feet" - it will look the same - the 45 degrees is fixed.

The image size will be the same, but I imagine the difference is where your eyes focus. Looking at a large screen from far away is generally easier on the eyes than a smaller one up close, even if they are at the same FOV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote /forum/post/20895627


Too bad the processor unit doesn't have an internal lithium rechargeable battery for portable use. This would be nice for watching movies on long plane trips, if you don't mind looking goofy in public and having people stare at you.
Many laptops now have HDMI output. There's also an HDMI output adapter available for the iPad. The next version definitely needs head-tracking capability for gaming. Sony would sell a lot more of these if they included gyroscopic head-tracking and the ability to pair up the visor with a PS3 as wireless controller. Call of Duty with these visors and head-tracking would be awesome!

The Zeiss Cinemizer OLED is designed for this. It's a much smaller unit which comes with an 8 hour rechargeable battery and supports head tracking with PC games. The virtual image is 45" at 2m (30° FOV) rather than 750" at 20m. My guess is that you can't really cut down the size much without shrinking the virtual image down, or at least bringing the viewing distance in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz /forum/post/20896289


I love me some COD and the head tracking idea sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to constantly be whipping my head back and forth to check my blind spots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Any idea how much the Zeiss Cinemizer OLED are going to be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the other thing seems like a much smaller picture. i read one review where they compared this to a 150 inch screen, that would be awesome. 150 inch screen lying on my bed. heck 150 inch screen sitting in the back of my wifes suv. that would be awesome!! and yes I have electric in the car to plug it into
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 /forum/post/20898212


the other thing seems like a much smaller picture. i read one review where they compared this to a 150 inch screen, that would be awesome. 150 inch screen lying on my bed. heck 150 inch screen sitting in the back of my wifes suv. that would be awesome!! and yes I have electric in the car to plug it into

The Zeiss Cinemizer is a much smaller unit designed for portable use with an 8 hour battery life, which is why the image is much smaller.


The Sony HMZ-T1 is an at-home cinema experience which is why the unit is much larger.


I think they both look like great devices, and while they sound similar on paper, I don't think they're really competing. The Cinemizer is designed for portability and would be great for travel, but I'd want the HMZ-T1 at home.


You would know which one to buy based on whether it's for travel or home use, doesn't seem to be much more to it than that.



I'm not sure where you're getting 150" from though, the Zeiss Cinemizer is 45" at 2m, and the HMZ-T1 is 750" at 20m .


I really hope the headphones on the HMZ-T1 are removable and you can plug in your own. I have high end headphones that I am certain will sound better than anything they can put into an $800 device. (pretty sure most of the money is going into the OLED displays & optics)



The power draw is only 15W, so I'm sure you probably could run them in the back of your car if you wanted, though Sony warns about motion sickness when using them in a moving vehicle.
 
1 - 20 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top