Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I due for a new lamp?

My Sony HS-10 is nearly 3 years old. I don't recall exactly how many hours I put on it, but I am guessing 1500 or so. It is now packed up and in storage as we are in the process of moving to a new home. What is the average lamp life of a Sony HS-10 projector with normal usage (not dynamic mode)? Picture quality and brightness is still good!

Is it worth spending on a new lamp or are there newer models out there worth considering. I use it with a HTPC primarily for DVDs and HD TV and at other times SD? It looks like Sony is not selling these lamps anymore but there are vendors out there who sell them. It looks like a new one costs around $300.

Thanks,

-Jai

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have about 2000 hours on my HS10, and it still looks great to me. Though I guess that a new lamp would probably look noticeably different, I see no reason to purchase a new one right now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just changed one at 1900 hours. I thought it looked a little dim, but then I realized how dim it had really become when I fired it up with the new one.

To directly answer your question, the cost of the replacement lamp should only be one factor in deciding if you want to to keep or replace the HS10. If you choose to sell the HS10, having a fairly new bulb with it will increase it's value, but not of course by the entire cost of the bulb.

·
Registered
376 Posts
jmcomp124,

Being a happy HS20 owner, I was concerned when I read that Sony was no longer selling replacement lamps. After searching around on their site, I contacted their direct parts center and the following is the response I received. Note that the bulbs for the HS10 and HS20 are the same model.

Thank you for contacting Sony's Direct Accessories and Parts Center (DAPC USA).

Your question was: Bulb for VPL-HS20 projector.

The items you requested are listed below.

Item 1 - Lamp, LMPH180 -- $279.99 ea.

You may place your order using the link below or call 1-800-488-7669.

Shipping charges and local taxes will be added to your order at checkout.

Sony Direct Accessories & Parts Center web site - http://www.sony.com/accessories

·
Registered
376 Posts
jmcomp124,

Being a happy HS20 owner I was concerned when you said Sony was no longer selling bulbs. I did some looking around on their site and found out how you can buy a bulb from them. Below is the email I received when I sent a request to their Parts Center. Note that the bulb for the HS20 is the same as that for the HS10.

-Gary.

Thank you for contacting Sony's Direct Accessories and Parts Center (DAPC USA).

Your question was: Bulb for VPL-HS20 projector.

The items you requested are listed below.

Item 1 - Lamp, LMPH180 -- $279.99 ea.

You may place your order using the link below or call 1-800-488-7669.

Shipping charges and local taxes will be added to your order at checkout.

Sony Direct Accessories & Parts Center web site - http://www.sony.com/accessories

·
Registered
354 Posts
I changed my lamp after 1800 and noticed no differnece after the change. I kept the lamp as a backup to the new one. I now have 3500 hours on the second lamp and don't notice any difference. Of course I may not notice a gradual decline, but I have been paying close attention to a few movie sceens I watched before the change and the dark details are still sharp. So I am going to wait a while to change out the lamp. I have the old for an emergency and will get one probably around 4000 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.