Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Received the Sony HS1 on Monday and over the past few days I enjoy it less and less.

I am sitting about 12 feet from the wall that I am projecting on. The projector is about 9 feet from the wall. I am getting about a 60" diagonal 4:3 image when zoomed to the largest setting. I am currently projecting on an off-white (beige) wall that is a non-shiny (flat) paint on typical sheetrock finish.

DVD player is connected using component input with progressive scan feature enabled. I've used the Sound & Vision tune-up DVD to set the color, sharpness and brightness settings.

I'm not sure if my expectations are too high, but here is what I am experiencing:

1) Screen Door effect - very prominent. I have been trying to get used to it, but it is very distracting.

2) When a scene pans from one person to another on screen, the screen seems to blur a bit and it makes me dizzy to watch. This happens on several DVDs or even Satellite TV.

3) Watching Satellite (Dish Network) results in an image that is not very sharp. Best way to describe is noisy image.

4) I noticed 2 or 3 pixels that seem to be bright white all of the time. At least against a blue sky scene.

Everything else seems ok.

Are my expectations too high? Should I feel dizzy when watching? Should I be seeing so much screen door at 12' when projecting from 9'?

I wonder if I should return and get the Sanyo Z1. I will have to pay a considerable restock fee, but it may be worth it.

Am I being too picky? This has been very disappointing.

SayersWeb

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SayersWeb
I wonder if I should return and get the Sanyo Z1. I will have to pay a considerable restock fee, but it may be worth it.

Am I being too picky? This has been very disappointing.

I would strongly suggest to return it and get the Sanyo Z1 or one of the newer projectors. I don't think you are being picky at all, I have seen the HS1 and it is really awful. The difference between the HS1 and the Z1 should be nothing short of night and day. I haven't seen the Sanyo but I have a Panny AE300 and I can tell you there is no comparison between it and the HS1. You should consider the Matinee 1HD (Sanyo Z1 rebadge) also, they are offering an amazing deal through this forum.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LMCid
I would strongly suggest to return it and get the Sanyo Z1 or one of the newer projectors. I don't think you are being picky at all, I have seen the HS1 and it is really awful. The difference between the HS1 and the Z1 should be nothing short of night and day. I haven't seen the Sanyo but I have a Panny AE300 and I can tell you there is no comparison between it and the HS1. You should consider the Matinee 1HD (Sanyo Z1 rebadge) also, they are offering an amazing deal through this forum.
Thanks for the reply!

I called Jason Turk about the Matinee and he wasn't sure if there would be much improvement in screen door effect over the HS1 since they are both LCD projectors. He's never actually seen an HS1 in action though. Jason suggested that I consider the In-Focus X1 which is DLP based. Not sure if the "rainbow effect" will be bothersome though.

Sounds like you found the HS1 to be inferior to other LCD projectors. Is it really drastically worse? If I do send it back, I really hope to get a measureable difference in performance.

Anyone else ever get that dizzy feeling when watching a projector? Jason suggested it may be due to a low refresh rate on the HS1. It's when the camera pans across a scene, the image blurs and I get a dizzy feeling.

This is all new to me and I should have done more research before ordering... :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
I didn't watch the HS1 long enough to get the dizzy feeling you are suggesting. But yes, in my opinion the HS1 is drastically worse than the other home theater projectors I have seen (both LCD and DLP). This is especially true in terms of contrast and screendoor. Please note that regardless of the projector you buy you shouldn't expect much from the standard Dish Satellite feed. Dish HD of course is a very different matter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
are you talking about the hs1 or hs2 becouse the hs2 is really good the screen door is very thin it not noticeable at all from 10 ft and further back ...please say you are talking about the hs1 an not the hs2

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it's the HS1....

Tonight I took a closer look and found at least 12 pixels that show bright green all of the time. I think they are bad pixels. Is this kind of thing normal? :mad:

The screen door is not as bad if I put the picture slightly out of focus, but then it looks out of focus and that becomes a new problem. :(

I tried switching between Progressive Scan and Interlaced on the rear of my DVD player and could not see much difference. Makes me wonder if the switch is even working. Should the difference be noticeable?

On regular Dish Network programming the picture is absolutely terrible. My wife wants me to reinstall the 35" Mitsubishi console and forget about all this projector stuff. Why does the 35" tube picture look so much better with Dish Network? Is it possible to get decent viewing from standard NTSC on a projector?

The place I bought the HS1 recommended that I try a white sheet on the wall to see if it helps since my wall is beige. It actually made the screen door effect look worse. I then took a sheet of flat white paper used for an inkjet printer and held it up. This was even worse. The screen door was very pronounced. This is what I used to find the bad pixels.

With all of the people on this forum that are happy with their projectors, I feel that there must be better units out there. I can't imagine people being satisfied with what I have experienced this week.

I'm hoping beyond hope that the Sanyo Z1 or InFocus X1 will greatly improve things. I do fear the rainbow effect of the X1. I think I have sensative eyes since I am getting dizzy from the HS1.

Sorry to be so negative and I know I have been asking a lot of questions. If I ever get things worked out I will give back to the forum and provide some good input for others.

As far as the HS1, this is my review, hopefully this will help others:

Projector physical Looks: Excellent. The unit is actually quite nice looking and small.

Inputs: Fair. You have to buy a special cable ($80) to allow component input. The actual component cable quality is poor, similar to the ones that come free with a DVD player.

Remote: Ok. Does not have direct buttons to select input. You must toggle between them using a single button. If you have a Touch screen universal with macros this can present a problem since you don't have direct codes to learn to automatically set the input depending on the source you select.

Manual: Ok. Not very in depth, but gives a fairly good explanation of things.

Ease of use: Good. Not too difficult, easy to focus and zoom. Input selection a bit tedious.

Noise: Excellent. The fan is quiet. I don't even notice it.

Value: Not bad. I didn't know you can get a projector this cheaply, that's why I bought it without doing more research.

Color: Great. Once I used the tune-up disk I found the color to be rich and accurate.

Black level: Ok. Does not have the depth I am used in properly adjusted tube sets. The images don't look quite as 3D.

Brightness: Great (in my application where the room can be darkened any time of the day). When picture is brighter it loses depth in the image. Maybe this is normal for projectors?

Screen Door: poor. It is distracting, especially on bright images. Noticeable from 12 feet when viewing a 50" to 60" 4:3 image.

DVD viewing: fair (using component inputs). The screen door and lack of black depth take away from the experience, but otherwise ok. Moving images tend to blur and make me a bit dizzy.

NTSC viewing: poor. Noisy image that my wife can't even stand watching it and she is nowhere near as critical as I am.

Playstation 2 use: ok, a little noisy, but not terrible.

Well, that's all I can think of to rate it on..... Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying one either new or used.

Sayer

·
Registered
211 Posts
green pixels are not normal, well at least not 12.

I don't think any of us need a review of the HS1. They don't make it anymore and you can get the HS10 for the same price now. I think most of the people here agree that the HS1 is worthless, so if you can get your money back I would definitely suggest you do that. Your expectations are not too high. There are much better projectors out there for the same price or cheaper.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would NOT recommend replacing it with a vpl-hs2 either i have recently seen screen shots of it and it is not good at all. It is a slight improvement to the hs1 but not enough where your going to say wow this is great. My suggestion would also be the hs10 if you have 2500 to drop on it. Or if you only want to spend around 1500 $- three great models are the panasonic ae200, plv-z1 by sanyo, or for 2000$ the panasonic ae300. All of these are great for the money. - Im going with the z1 from sanyo -- jeff

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I agree with the rest, the HS1 was somewhat of a failed experiment in low cost pjs. The resolution is simply too low and without any tricky stuff like like AE300 uses its just a screen door bonanza.

If you can stretch to a HS10 you will see a massive improvement (I know because I've seen them both.) If not, one of the others mentioned above is a better choice. Always best to get a good demo before purchase.

I think it is ****** of a dealer to sell you an obsolete pj and not mention the new models that are/were just around the corner.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpaige28

I would NOT recommend replacing it with a vpl-hs2 either i have recently seen screen shots of it and it is not good at all. It is a slight improvement to the hs1 but not enough where your going to say wow this is great.

Just a little information for the new members here: Screenshots mean absolutely nothing at all.

If you saw a screenshot of the HS2 and it was "not good at all", all that means was that the screenshot wasn't good at all, not that the HS2 wasn't good at all.

Not that I've seen a HS2, so I can't comment intelligently, but don't make sweeping statements based on a screenshot. I can show you a screenshot of a AE100 that is very similar in spec to the HS2 that will knock your socks off. It doesn't mean anything. Seeing is believing.

PS: For the original poster---- take the restocking fee hit and buy a Z1 or AE300.... or anything else.

·
Registered
84 Posts
well what i mean to say is going from what i have seen it didn steem too impressive espically since the reviewer said he had tweeked the colors and settings. i wanted to get the hs2 for a while but havent been able to get any info on it other than the pics i saw, so i kinda gave up on it.so until someone posts some pics of it that are as good as ive seen of the plv-z1 then thats my opinoin. jeff

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Curious....

What do you gain with the Sony HS10 over the Sanyo Z1? I'm a little leary of Sony at the moment and there is about $1,000 price difference.

I see the Sony HS10 has greater brightness, greater resolution, but no computer interface.

The Sanyo Z1 has greater contrast, and a computer input.

Does the greater resolution of the HS10 make it better on non-HD sources? Does either unit have a decent way of making standard Dish Network programming look better? Or is there any other way to improve standard resolution sources?

Thanks,

Sayer

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SayersWeb
Curious....

What do you gain with the Sony HS10 over the Sanyo Z1? I'm a little leary of Sony at the moment and there is about $1,000 price difference.

I see the Sony HS10 has greater brightness, greater resolution, but no computer interface.

The Sanyo Z1 has greater contrast, and a computer input.

Does the greater resolution of the HS10 make it better on non-HD sources? Does either unit have a decent way of making standard Dish Network programming look better? Or is there any other way to improve standard resolution sources?

Thanks,

Sayer
Well, having seen the ae300,m20x,and plv-70 (the latter 2 were not in ideal conditions) and not having seen the hs10/z1, my opinion would be this:

- If you are really and I mean really bothered by screendoor, go for the ae300 or hs10. My guess is that most people won't even notice the screendoor on the z1, as all reports indicate that its is much reduced from previous generations of pjs. You will have to demo an lcd to see if you are sensitive to screendoor.

- If you plan on throwing an image much larger than 100" in diagonal, go with the HS10. The extra lumens will help alot here, Henryg has noted that the HS10 washes out less than the ae300 as you increase image size.

- If you plan on watching much HD, the HS10 is your best bet because of its high resolution.

- If you care only about DVD, you would probably be equally well off with any of the 3, though from reports I would slightly prefer the ae300 or z1 for the improved color saturation and $$ savings.

- If $500 or $1000 means a whole lot to you, save your money and get the cheapest (z1).

--

Mike U.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mulveling
Well, having seen the ae300,m20x,and plv-70 (the latter 2 were not in ideal conditions) and not having seen the hs10/z1, my opinion would be this:

- If you are really and I mean really bothered by screendoor, go for the ae300 or hs10. My guess is that most people won't even notice the screendoor on the z1, as all reports indicate that its is much reduced from previous generations of pjs. You will have to demo an lcd to see if you are sensitive to screendoor.

- If you plan on throwing an image much larger than 100" in diagonal, go with the HS10. The extra lumens will help alot here, Henryg has noted that the HS10 washes out less than the ae300 as you increase image size.

- If you plan on watching much HD, the HS10 is your best bet because of its high resolution.

- If you care only about DVD, you would probably be equally well off with any of the 3, though from reports I would slightly prefer the ae300 or z1 for the improved color saturation and $$ savings.

- If $500 or $1000 means a whole lot to you, save your money and get the cheapest (z1).

--

Mike U.

Thanks for the advice Mike U.

The image will be less than 100". This is where the short throw of the Z1 is attractive to me since I prefer to set the projector on the table in front of me (at least to start with). I'll be sitting approx. 12 feet from the screen and hope to have around a 70" diagonal image.

Still hoping for thoughts on how to best improve regular definition satellite/PVR sources. Is it worth trying to get some type of hardware to do this or is something like that prohibitively expensive? These projectors have built in line doublers for that purpose, right?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.