AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to demo the Sony HS10 along with the Panasonic L300 and the NEC HT1000 at Ritz AV in Beltsville, MD.

While I certainly would be happy using any of the projectors for my HTPC display, I have been leaning heavily towards the HS10 since it's native resolution (1366 X 768) is in line with my favorite and very common computer gaming resolution of 1024 X 768. At the demo, along with the assortment of DVD's and HDTV, I asked for a computer windows desktop display for 1024 X 768. On the 300, the text was blurry obviously due to 1024 X 768 being a higher setting than the 300's 960 X 540 native resolution. However, on the NEC HT1000, the same resolution was crystal clear and sharp. The NEC is a DLP 5X color wheel running at it's native resolution, and it is a 4 X 3 based projector. So it should have looked good.

Unfortunately, the store did not have a DVI cable or video card for the HS10 so I could not test the display at 1024 X 768. So my question is for the HS10 owners out there who may have tested 1024 X 768 while setting up powerstrip (or whatever) to display 1366 X 768. How is the display clarity? I would expect it to be good but I would like some clarification.

Also, since the HS10 is DVI only, any issues with using DVI out from the computer?

This will help me cement my projector decision...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am stuck at the 1024X768 resolution on my HTPC and HS10... I am using DVI and the picture and desktop looks fine... More that usable...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Swatkins,

What kind of video card are you using to feed the DVI to your HS10? Why are you stuck at the 1024x768 res? Or is that by choice?

Thanks

Wu-

·
Registered
405 Posts
swatkins and Eapiel

My setup consists of an AIW 8500DV with a DVI connection to a SONY HS10 widescreen lcd projector and an Svideo connection to a 29inch 4:3 TV. I run Windvd platinum, ATI TV (and WinDVBlive) in fullscreen mode and I use the TV as a clone of the primary (HS10) display in the THEATER mode which gives me a full screen display (WITH NO cursor no WinXP taskbars no menus) in my TV!!!! I think this is the only setup (clone mode, theater mode) that you can display video as an overlay IN TWO MONITORS!!!!

The picture quality is excellent with HS10 at 1368*768 56hz and is ideal for DVD 16:9 viewing as ALL THE PANEL IS USED for reproduction.... That was the reason for me to choose this projector. THE WIDE RESOLUTION is tricky though..... I believe that only users with WIN XP can have it as under previous OS (ME 98se etc) you get a 1024*768 virtual desktop...

You can take a look at my thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247144

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUILTY,

When you loaded 1024 X 768 on the HS10, I assume it was standard 4 X 3 with black bars on the side? I forgot to check this during my demo, but what screen size options were available on the HS10? For example, 4 X 3 blown up, compressed (or what I like to call smooshed on our RPTV), full, etc.

This is getting off the thread's original subject a little, but the black levels out of the box on all the demoed projectors were weakest on the HS10 versus the Panny L300 and much more expensive NEC HT1000. Were you able to do anything to the HS10 via filters/tweaks to make the black levels better?

Finally, I run Win 2000 pro, which from a Powerstrip standpoint should be the same as Win XP. Anyone disagree?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.