Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Hello to all.

I received my new HS10 Thursday. I am currently awaiting the Chief mount ( RPA 2131 ) and the Da-lite HCCV screen. For HS10 owners who have the Chief mount flush mounted to the ceiling I have a question:

Other than the mount is there any other hardware needed for installation? Does the mount attach directly to the three holes on the projector's bottom, and are the screws required for that included with the mount?

I appreciate any responses.

Regards,

·
Registered
85 Posts
You will need a 1 1/2" threaded pipe that screws into a ceiling plate. You can both these items at home depot. There are various lengths available at home depot and sometime they are not marked correctly. Take a measuring tape with you when you go to purchase the pipe.

There are other ways to install the mount, but I use the threaded pipe in my installation. It is quite easy to do.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It also depends on how close to the ceiling you'll be mounting the HS-10. I have mine in a basement theater, where the ceiling is only 7' high. In my installation, I just mounted the HS-10 flush to the Chief Mount - which is mounted right on the ceiling.

All hardware needed for my installation was available with the Chief Mount - and/or HS-10. I didn't need to buy anything else.

Hope this helps.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings,

Bambam, thanks that was the answer I was looking for. You say that everything needed came with the mount AND/OR the HS10. Nothing came with my HS10 with regard to mounting it. I did check with Jason here as AVS and he said that everything needed came with the mount itself. Was that the case with yours?

Also, how big is your screen, and how high do you have it mounted ( if using a fixed mount screen )??

I appreciate your response.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
"I did check with Jason here as AVS and he said that everything needed came with the mount itself. Was that the case with yours?

Also, how big is your screen, and how high do you have it mounted ( if using a fixed mount screen )??"

Now that I think of it, yes, everything needed did come with the Chief Mount. My screen is a 92" diagonal Firehawk, fixed mounted to the wall. Since my ceiling is rather short (i.e. a little less than 7 feet), the top frame of the screen is mounted about five inches down from the ceiling. The border on the Firehawk is about 3-4" thick, then the actual screen begins.

If you need more detailed measurements, let me know and I can check. I'm sure you'll enjoy the HS-10. I love mine!

Regards.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've installed the Sony mount (610) on the short pipe. My screen surface is five inches down from the ceiling. The center point of the HS10 lens is 6.5 down from the ceiling. This works with no keystone or tilt. I have a short throw lens. Projector to screen distance is 10.5 feet. I get and exact fit on my 92" wide screen, DaLite HCMW.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings,

Bamm Bamm/Astar, thanks for your replies. Your input has put my concerns to rest. The mount should arrive via UPS tomorrow, and the screen later in the week. I also ordered a 92 inch diagonal screen ( Da-lite HCCV ). I will drop a post back after installation.

Thanks again guys!

Regards,

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greetings,

The mount arrived yesterday evening and installation went smoothly:cool: . Just waiting on my screen which will hopefully be here by Friday.

Regards,

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm about to purchase either an HS10 or HS20 and do a ceiling mount setup.

My question is how far from the ceiling will my projector need to be mounted?

I have 8 foot high ceiling and will be throwing a 16x9 image (120" diag). The top of my picture will probably be about 14 inches from the ceiling and about 26 inches from the floor. I think the projector will need to be about 17 feet away from the screen.

Does anybody know approx. how far down the HS10 needs to hang? I'm a bit worried that I'll have to drop it a foot or two and it will look weird.

I DO NOT want to use keystone correction :).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gkfisher
I'm about to purchase either an HS10 or HS20 and do a ceiling mount setup.

My question is how far from the ceiling will my projector need to be mounted?
Your center of lens has to be dead on with the top of the screen (not frame) for no v. keystone correction. If your screen top is 14" from the ceiling the bottom (top inverted) of your projector has to be 14" minus 3.75" from the ceiling. Or if you want to change it, screen from ceiling is x then pj top (bottom inverted) is x-3.75".

Gary

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greetings,

Hi Gary. I have found your posts to be very helpful. I am currently waiting on my screen, which will be an 80 X 45 ( 92 " diagonal ) permwall. My projector is mounted. I put the image up on the wall ( it was around 95 inches diagonal, I have not done anything else with it as of yet ). The center of the lense is around 6 inches from the ceiling. How should I determine from that where to mount the screen. I will ensure that the screen's center matches the center of the lense. How do I figure out how high to mount the screen?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by placidman
Hi Gary. I have found your posts to be very helpful. I am currently waiting on my screen, which will be an 80 X 45 ( 92 " diagonal ) permwall. My projector is mounted. I put the image up on the wall ( it was around 95 inches diagonal, I have not done anything else with it as of yet ). The center of the lense is around 6 inches from the ceiling. How should I determine from that where to mount the screen. I will ensure that the screen's center matches the center of the lense. How do I figure out how high to mount the screen?
Thanks, glad to help. I have only done this once, but I did learn a few things.

Since you put your projector up first, you may have an easier time of it than I did. I wanted my screen exactly on the center of my entertainment center, so I put the screen up first.

I would zoom your projector so that you have the exact dimensions for your screen, width and height (You might want to zoom a little bigger for a bit of overscan to fix any irregularities in your screen mount and or wall after you find the correct location. I overscan about 1/4" all around.)

Check your diagonal to make sure you don't have any keystoning. (I would do it on both diagonals to be sure.) Eyeball the edges or use a good level to make sure every thing is straight horizontally and vertically. Once you are sure, mark the wall for your screen location. Use those marks to locate you mounting hardware location.

You could also use the advice that I gave above except add 3.75" to your ceiling to top of pj (bottom inverted) for your top of screen.

My biggest problem was getting my HS10 centered horizontally to my screen. My mount only had 1/2" of adjustment to the right and I didn't want to do anymore chopping on ceiling drywall, so I overscan to correct for that. I don't use keystoning. The overscan keeps me from futzing with the image everytime my pj swivels a mm right or left.

Let me know if you don't understand or have other questions.

Hey, it sounds like you are well on your way. Good choices on HT hardware. You are going to love it. :)

Gary

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Greetings,

Gary, thanks again. This is how I initally envisoned doing it but wanted to ensure I was in the ballpark. Your help is much appreciated. This is my first foray into FP. I have had several HDTV RPTV's and figured it was time.

I will drop a post once it's up.

Thanks!

Regards,

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmshoemaker
Your center of lens has to be dead on with the top of the screen (not frame) for no v. keystone correction. If your screen top is 14" from the ceiling the bottom (top inverted) of your projector has to be 14" minus 3.75" from the ceiling. Or if you want to change it, screen from ceiling is x then pj top (bottom inverted) is x-3.75".

Gary
What if your ceiling is not completely level, or a little lower in one spot than the other?

What to do then??

any help would be appreciated.

THANKS

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greetings,

The mount has adjustments which will compensate. Keep in mind though that you may have to use keystone correction to compensate for the yaw/pitch adjustments. This is really not a BIG deal however keystoning does soften the image slightly.

Regards,

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Greetings,

The mount has adjustments which will compensate. Keep in mind though that you may have to use keystone correction to compensate for the yaw/pitch adjustments. This is really not a BIG deal however keystoning does soften the image slightly.

Regards,
Hi Ralph,

A few clicks shouldn't be a problem. Overscanning on to your black frame is another option.

Gary

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Greetings,

Righto Gary! :)

How goes things with your HS10?? Hope yours is still bright and humming along!

Regards,

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Greetings,

Righto Gary! :)

How goes things with your HS10?? Hope yours is still bright and humming along!

Regards,
Things are going great. The HS10 is bright and humming (32dbs).

1st bulb is standing by after 1000 hours to be pressed into service, if need be.

2nd bulb has 1628 hours on it. I want to see how long this baby will go. I did have to crank it up a notch on the brightness about 6 clicks. Still looks good.

If the second bulb goes before 2500 hours, I promise, I will turn it off each night before I fall asleep on the sofa. :)

Gary

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gmshoemaker

2nd bulb has 1628 hours on it. Still looks good.

If the second bulb goes before 2500 hours, I promise, I will turn it off each night before I fall asleep on the sofa. :)

Gary
Greetings,

Gary, 1628 hours ??!! Already??? It seems like you just replaced it. Holy cow! I thought I was a fairly heavy user at 30 hours or so a week. You the undisputed king though :D

I am glad to hear that you unit is still keeping pace. I have just over 200 hours on mine now, and no complaints.:cool:

Regards,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.