AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if any PAL users out there have trouble running component at 1080i at 50hz and get regular hiccups with the image?

notably my unit appears to loose sync and takes about 10 seconds to get a picture back, this happens every 3 mintues or so, I have noticed when this happens the menu displays Vertical frequency as changing slightly.

As I only have one HD source I am not sure if its my unit or my source, but I have spoken to a dozen or so others with the same set top box as mine (DGTEC 2000A - the silver footy) and not one has a fault, how ever most are CRT projector owners and I believe CRT's generally are more flexible with varying sync. I spoke to one guy with a sanyo lcd which handles 1080i and he isnt having issues. Then I hear a rumor of another user having the same STB and a HS10 having the same issue through another chat group.

Any input? Idea's? Theories?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Kick it to me! :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm running my HS10 from an HTPC at 56Hz via DVI and get about 3 of these hickups/stutters per movie (some movies are less though) that last no more than a couple of seconds. It's not too bothersome, but I'd like to find a fix for it as well. I've noticed that the audio continues during these stutters and the video seem to play catch up for the couple of seconds.

This is on PAL DVDs. I've also noticed that I cannot play an NTSC Video DVD (e.g. Elton John - One night Only in MSG) at all since it stutters all the way. I'm using PowerDVD at this stage, although the same problems occur with WinDVD.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Over on the digital broadcasting forum ( www.dba.org.au ) there was some mention that the HS10 and DGTEC didn't play well together with sync issues. Check out http://www.dba.org.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2878

Quote from AVSer AngryOfMayfair:

"The HS10 and the dodgytec 2000 are a bit probelematic in that they don't work that well together. This is a big pity as HDTV output from the HS10 is simply stunning. BUT the HS10 has problems with the dogeytec's 1080i signal - it will lose it for a second or two very intermittantly. Sony have denied the problem is with the HS10 (which is what you *would* expect from Sony) and yet the same 1080i signal from the same DGtec box is rock solid stable when fed to a Panasonic AE300....Hmmm....

Also the 1080i output via the component output is tainted with a pink tinge at the top of the picture - I think this *is* a DGtec problem and it might be only related to the component output - RGB may be OK but I cannot confirm as I need the multi-cable RGB adapter first...

If you switch to the 576p output via component then you do get a superb picture in all it's HD glory (leaves my DVD player for dead) BUT in this mode there is a 2 second lipsync delay to the sound! So the ch9 demo loop looks fantastic but when you watch anything else with speech etc it's impossible to watch, the lipsync is that bad.

So, until either Sony come up with a fix for what I see as their 1080i problem or Dogeytec fix the 576p lipsync problem (hardly likely as they say the 2000 doesn't work properly with 576p anyway) then I would say wait a while until something better comes along. There's nothing much beig broadcast in HDTV anyway - I got sick of watching the demo loop after 4 or 5 times - it *does* look superb though - like an open window :)

As soon as something decent arrives I will be upgrading and using the Dogeytec as a SDTV source for recording from..."

I'm interested in HDTV too but I'm not confident in the DGTEC boxes in general to go down that path.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm I have it on 576 P and never noticed lipsync .....

just wish the 1080i would work.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A bit more info on the HS10 & DGtec 2000 compatibility - the PJ guys at Tasman AV in Melbourne (Authorised Sony Resellers) have taken this issue up with Sony and as I reported above Sony have basically denied all responsibility for the problem saying it's a DGtec issue - the output of the DGtec box is at fault.

That's OK BUT it seems that the DGtec box is fine in 1080i mode with other brands of PJ, even with the Sony VW HT series...

This is something that I was going to persue with Sony when HDTV becomes worth watching (ever?) in Aus as at the moment it's not a big problem, at least the HS10 works fine with the 576p HDTV output from the same box. (BTW the lipsync prob that I was bitchin about above has been cured by upgrading to V1.9 software on the DGtec.)

I was sort of hoping that by the time it becomes necessary to fix the 1080i input sensitivity on the HS10 (which is *my* opinion of the problem) that perhaps Sony (or DGtec) might have an upgrade patch OR that another STB from another manufacturer is available as IMHO the DGtec box is a load of junk that we have to live with at the moment (it has quite a few other bugs) as there is no alternative supply of STB's for our wonderful hybrid HDTV system...

Perhaps we should all pester Sony Australia until a fix is found? I don't accept the fact that Sony deny all responsibility for this - the DGtec seems to work OK with just about all other PJ's, including other Sony models...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

I have the Sony HS10 and Dgtec 200a. The only issue I have is when changing channels sometimes the screen is either black/white or the epg is incorrect.

I do not have other issues yet! I am located in Melbourne.

regards,

Richard

CLUBVX

·
Registered
306 Posts
Richard how are you feeding the HS10 from the DGtec? Are you using the component output and what 'format' have you selected using the 3 position switch at the back of the DGtec box?

I used to have a Panasonic LT712E (PAL version of the L75XU) and I used to feed the DGtec box via component to the Panasonic and it worked perfect BUT the 3 position switch on the DGtech was switched to SDTV (576i) as the 712E would not accept a HDTV signal at 50hz - it would only work with a 60hz HDTV signal or a 50hz SDTV signal.

So the Panasonic was exchanged for a HS10 and I expected to be able to use it with a HDTV 50hz signal but now I find the 1080i output is not acceptable to the HS10... :-(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anyone know if there is a newer firmware for the DGtec other then 1.9?? Also is someone using the VGA output from the box. It should give you 1152i, and that should be enough to peep the frequency up to about 31KHz or so . Could solve the sync problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Angryofmayfair.

You answered my questions in the Aussie forum now its my turn to answer one for you with pleasure. I am using component (3 rca leads) and my dgtec 2000a is on HD1 position.

I hope this helps out.

regards,

Richard

CLUBVX

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks Richard, so HD1 using component is indeed 1080i and your HS10 is happy with it? No loss of signal at all, even for a second, randomly?

Hmm, my HS10 can't cope with the 1080i output, nor can JSP's and others have also reported the problem...

Is your HS10 brand new, just bought? I wonder if Sony have implemented a fix on the latest batch?

Kent, V1.9 is the latest and I havn't been able to use the VGA output as you need an adaptor lead for the HS10. Also I don't think the Aussie TV stations are broadcasting an 1152i signal, although I guess the DGtec could upconvert from 1080i? Not sure about this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi AngryofMayfair

The only time I may get a slight loss of signal is when I make adjustments to the Sony HS10's picture settings.....ie: Dynamic/Standard/Cinema/brightness by a fair amount or colour adjustments by a fair amount.

Where are you located AngryofMayfair? I am near Frankston.

regards,

Richard

CLUBVX

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've had the same problem while viewing cable from my old Panasonic VCR through my Denon 3803 into the HS10. Some channels will only show a picture for 5 seconds then lose all video and doesn't come back. I've also had the picture drop off from the HS10 while watching DVDs when the scene has some very fast flashing action like lots of explosions or reporters taking lots of flash photography. DVD player is a Toshiba 4800 and it too goes through the Denon reciever.

While it doesn't always happen it is annoying. Actually, sometimes it happens on a particular scene, then when I replay the scene it goes through fine. Every once in a while I get a message from the HS10, something like frequency out of range. I was hoping to get into HDTV this summer (still haven't decided to do it with MYHD using a computer or with a Samsung OTA reciever).

I'm very interested in hearing if anyone finds a fix or has had problems with DVDs or regular cable tv like me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
"Kent, V1.9 is the latest and I havn't been able to use the VGA output as you need an adaptor lead for the HS10. Also I don't think the Aussie TV stations are broadcasting an 1152i signal, although I guess the DGtec could upconvert from 1080i? Not sure about this."

Its true the they don't broadcast in 1152i but I think the set top box adds fields to get the frequency up to around 31KHz that would solve some of the problems some PJ's have.

Cheers

·
Registered
306 Posts
The HS10 has a lot of inputs - the supplied muti-input 10mtr cable will allow connection of component or RGB, composite and s-video but you need to purchase an (expensive!) extra cable to connect the 'multi-input' on the HS10 to a VGA source. After messing around with soldering 15mtr of quality monster cable to the tiny pins of a VGA plug for the old Panasonic I have to say that I wont miss VGA connections in general - what a pain!

Richard I am in Berwick, not far from you - perhaps we could get together - if I could try my DGtec with your HS10 that would help clear a few things up...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have tried it with the VGA in and it recognises the signal as a 640x480 on tv and hd1 and as 800x600 on hd2, I also have a RGBHV to RGB converter which I need an adapter cable for due next week which I am going to try so I can pump the signal into the HS10 through RGB so it thinks its a video and not computer signal

·
Registered
334 Posts
Soi is this the "downunder" part of AVS Forum - must visit here more often. Know some of your usernames from my travels through HT Central, DBA etc. etc.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by clubvx
Hi AngryofMayfair

The only time I may get a slight loss of signal is when I make adjustments to the Sony HS10's picture settings.....ie: Dynamic/Standard/Cinema/brightness by a fair amount or colour adjustments by a fair amount.

Where are you located AngryofMayfair? I am near Frankston.

regards,

Richard

CLUBVX
whats your firmware versions on the sony hs10? mine are older at 1.01 and 1.02. maybe the newer ones have fixed this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a HS10 and DGtec 2000a and Live in Melbourne.

I have the exact same problem and went nuts trying to find out from Sony and dg-tec to no avail.

All was not lost but a problem anyway. New AMP

IT IS MY A/V Amplifier screwing everything up. A Sony 555ES about 2 years old.

It cannot handle 1080i as it doesn't just pass through the signal it modifies it somehow.

If you are using a A/V amp take it out and see if it works.

There are a lot of older stuff that cannot handle the freq of 1080i

My Problem:

Loss of signal (Picture goes black then searches for new signal then comes back)

Loss of signal (message at bottom of screen Frequency out of Range then comes back.)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.